boys banned from wearing shorts, respond by wearing skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

boys banned from wearing shorts, respond by wearing skirts

Post by Reaper_Man »

Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: boys banned from wearing shorts, respond by wearing skir

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Link did not work!! :(

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Works OK in UK.
It's interesting how a story like this seems to turn up every summer.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Good for them, maybe it will catch on.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I guess it just won't wok in the USA. :( :( :( I would have love to read it.

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Funny, it worked for me.

However, the quality of the journalism and proofreading were astonishingly low. I can see auto-corrupt/spell-check botching things (e.g. "bear" vs. "bare") but getting "proscribed" confused with "prescribed" just smacks of incompetence. (Or illiteracy.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

This story actually made it on to the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36868781

Fortunately, the standard of spelling and literacy is excellent (the Metro article was appalling).
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Stevie D wrote:This story actually made it on to the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36868781

Fortunately, the standard of spelling and literacy is excellent (the Metro article was appalling).

Now this link works. Good for the boys!!

RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Franinskirts wrote:I guess it just won't wok in the USA. :( :( :( I would have love to read it.

Schoolboys excluded for wearing shorts on hottest day, don skirts instead
Four schoolboys excluded for wearing shorts on the hottest day of the year found a genius way around the rules.
After temperatures reached a scorching 33 degrees on Tuesday, four Year 9 friends decided to change into their PE shorts.
But due to a change of policy at Longhill High School in Brighton, the pupils were sent into isolation and told to go home and change.
Rather than come back in their usual trousers, the boys found another way to stay cool in the sweltering heat – skirts.
Michael Parker, Kodi Ailing, George Boyland and Jesse Stringer, all 14, wore skirts for the remainder of the week despite being ordered by teachers to remove them.
Michael’s proud mum Angela Parker, said: ‘On Tuesday, the hottest day of the year so far, several of the boys went in to school in regulation PS shorts with a school logo on.
‘They were all told to go home and put trousers on and told they are not allowed to wear shorts, even though girls are allowed to wear short skirts with bear legs and stay cool.
It’s discriminatory against boys why should they be punished? The school doesn’t let them have a drink of water during class and the rooms aren’t air conditioned. It’s quite hypocritical as well as all the male teachers were wearing shorts and t-shirts.’
Head Kate Williams confirmed the boys would be allowed to wear skirts because they were part of the proscribed uniform.
She said: ‘Students can choose to wear any part of the agreed school uniform.’
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This is a bit of an "old chestnut".
Interesting to note that the Head Teacher has gone on record as saying that anyone can wear any of the elements of the uniform.
That is actually, progress, just not freedom or equality.
Steve.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Good for them. We had something like that happen here in Wichita too (at least once that I've heard about, I don't keep abreast of things, sadly). It happened at a high school iirc.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

These have been cropping up in the news every summer for the last several years.

The Metro is not famed for its quality journalism (it's a free rag given out on the Underground in London, amongst other places).

Each year, the intrepid journalist describes the skirt issue as a "uniform loophole". If they had bothered to talk to the school in any depth, they would usually discover that the uniform rules have been crafted specifically to be inclusive. They specify which garments can be worn to comply with "uniform" and leave it up to the individual student to pick from the list. This will have been a conscious decision on the part of the school administration and will have been done specifically with the aim of increasing equality and accessibility. To describe this as a "loophole" is disingenuous. As the Head confirmed, the boys are allowed to wear skirts to school, as skirts are listed in the uniform rules.

I had to work to change the rules for my son's primary school (he prefers skirts and dresses to trousers), but the secondary he's going to in a couple of years time is already gender-neutral in its uniform (although the uniform skirt is horrible).

Progress is being made, nationally.

EtF
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Found another article from 2004 on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3796163.stm

So definitely not a new thing. I would do the same if I was at school.
_40258737_edskirt203.jpg
School pencil skirts are smart enough for work, I would wear one to work if I could. The guy looks smart enough in it. Schools will introduce this as an option for any boy interested, they probably think there won't be any takers for the skirt option.

Then there were the train drivers in Sweden who turned up for work in skirts a few years ago... :)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Interestingly enough - WHAT would have happened if he wore the Kilt or is that taboo because it is not a proscribed item of the school uniform ?

Another note those that make the rules should be made to wear and abide by same dress (skirted kilted) code - something uniform I dare say !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !