Some gentle encouragement

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Some gentle encouragement

Post by skirtyscot »

Article gently suggesting to men that we should start copying the catwalk trend for men's skirts. A little on the short side, IMO. It could have elaborated on the conclusion a bit more, instead of ending as soon as it said "it's OK".

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... -in-skirts
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Re: Some gentle encouragement

Post by Uncle Al »

I like the last paragraph of the article....
After Kanye West wore a leather kilt, he made the point that,
in their original use, the skirt and dress have very different associations.
“I paid my dues when I had to wear a kilt in Chicago, and friends would
say, ‘What’s your boy got on?’,” he wrote in Paper magazine. “There are
warriors in kilts that have killed people in the past. Who gets to decide
what’s hard and what’s not hard?” Because the ‘skirt’ and ‘dress’ are
misnomers. We mean dhotis, kilts, sarongs, togas and versions of those.
These garments were historically worn by men, and reinforced a masculinity not a
femininity. Food for thought, for those who think they have no place in menswear.
edited to clarify meaning

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I agree, but that's one of those articles that's not going to change anyone. People who already agree with him don't need to be convinced, and people who think that men in skirts are freaks are just going to hear "blah blah blah we're freaks doing freaky things blah blah blah..."

Feeling discouraged...
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote:I agree, but that's one of those articles that's not going to change anyone. People who already agree with him don't need to be convinced, and people who think that men in skirts are freaks are just going to hear "blah blah blah we're freaks doing freaky things blah blah blah..."
It wasn't the directly-linked article that I found interesting but rather one liked off that one about Mr. Fish from the 1960s which had some really good photographs from the period in it, including the iconic ones of Mick Jagger in his tunic and Bowie in his dress. Also in the article was a shot of Fish himself in a skirted Cossack-like rig. Good stuff.

'Tis a pity that the "Peacock Revolution" turned out to be stillborn only to be cremated by the neo-con revolution (revulsion?) of the 1980s. So close, yet so far...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...'Tis a pity that the "Peacock Revolution" turned out to be stillborn only to be cremated by the neo-con revolution (revulsion?) of the 1980s. So close, yet so far...
Ah, the Peacock Revolution. Great phrase. But styles go in cycles so maybe we'll see something like it again.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

It's the outlandish presentation rather than the skirts themselves. A simple knee length skirt in denim would suffice or a cargo skirt rather than the wacky stuff fashion houses churn out. We can hide behind naming conventions like kilt, dhoti sarong etc but everyone is just going to see 'skirt'... Just go out in your skirt and enjoy it :wink:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kilty wrote:Just go out in your skirt and enjoy it :wink:
I've been doing just that for years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!