The gender creative boy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The gender creative boy

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote:The English transgender site http://www.angelsforum.co.uk/phpforum/, on the other hand, is much less strict and relies on the ladylike behaviour of its participants, much as this one relies on gentlemanly behaviour.
Perhaps the angelsforum is the full blown transgender version of skirt-cafe. I skimmed it, didn't really dig too deep.

Still there is a core difference between here and there, there the discussions seems to be pertaining to full blown transitioning issues, embracing full womanhood. Whereas some discussions here at the cafe seem to pertain to embracing certain feminine characteristics while still maintaining an overall male persona. Now of course some cafe members want no part of anything to do with the feminine, and that's their right, and this site caters well to them as well. I figure that's why we have a separate board for Kilts and "Freestyle fashions".

I suppose as far a site functions go, one could always apply the "bathroom test" ... and I mean this JOKINGLY before someone gets is a tissy...

If you don't mind peeing in the men's room, you're a skirtcafe guy... extra points if you pee at the urinal... :lol:

If you want to pee in the women's.... then you'd fit in better on one of the more full blown crossdresser/trans sites...

TEST NUMBER TWO:

If you thought my joke above was funny... you might be a "man in a skirt"...

If you got offended... you're probably on the wrong site... 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote:It also shows that 'Mom' is against the current government of S.C. and thinks the Governor is a piece of garbage(to use kind words here).
This will put a new perspective on Charlies parents and how they've handled their 3 non-typical kids.
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Actually Al she lives in North Carolina. And is not against the Governor of South Carolina. And I agree she is one hell of a mom for the way she is raising her children.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:
pelmut wrote:The English transgender site http://www.angelsforum.co.uk/phpforum/, on the other hand, is much less strict and relies on the ladylike behaviour of its participants, much as this one relies on gentlemanly behaviour.
Perhaps the angelsforum is the full blown transgender version of skirt-cafe. I skimmed it, didn't really dig too deep.
I thought at first that it was heavily weighted towards the girly-girl sort of discussions about makeup and fashions, which don't interest me either; but when I was persuaded to register, I was able to see the other side of the site. There are people there clinging on by their fingertips to their sanity and life itself; naturally all this is hidden from casual unregistered viewing. There are also those, like me, who are partly trans, without the dysphoria that creates the pressing need to transition. At the core is a community of very knowledgeable and experienced people, doing their best to help others, some of whom are in a dreadful state as the result of rejection by family, spouse, employers, work colleagues or even themselves because of their own inability to comprehend what is happening to them.

Not all is doom and gloom, however; there are also meet-ups, friendships, practical advice, humour and even some gentle teasing.

Yes, very like Skirtcafe.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Gentlemen, I'm afraid I have to express a portion of my true self that in the public world often isn't as immediately appreciated as my skirted self. Except, of course, in the sense of, "Thank God somebody else said that and I don't have to tell the Emperor he forgot to get dressed this morning."

As I take a hard look at Category 1 I see it disappear like the will 'o' the wisp it is. In the past, I have been a crossdresser and am quite explicit with most people who ask that no I'm not one of those folks much less in a transsexual transition, I'm just exercising my freedom of choice and acting as a fashion pioneer. I occasionally put out the notion that I am pioneering fusion fashion; fusing masculine and feminine fashions.

But the inescapable reality is that if I weren't in Category 2, I wouldn't have any interest, desire or even willingness to wear a skirt or dress. In short, I feel Category 1 is a myth. We've already embraced the fact that fashion shouldn't be seen as binary because neither is gender, in the emotional/ psychological sense. Sex isn't even binary, there are some androgynous people out there and we've all seen women with noticeable facial hair, etc. Like most things, gender is on a spectrum and the human population shows a bimodal distribution of gender. That is, the largest concentration of men are predominantly masculine and the largest concentration of women are predominantly female. But a 100% masculine person would kill the person making the suggestion before they would put on a skirt or dress.

Clearly, none of us are like THAT. I'm saying that those of you who are trying to claim residence in Category 1 that you are gentlemen who doth protest too much and that you're really members of Category 2. The only question remaining is, are you on the fringe of that category, smack in the middle or tending toward Category 3?

To me, the biggest importance of the question is that it might helps others understand themselves and make an informed choice as to how far they want to explore the further reaches of the range.

In conclusion, I would say that the young fellow described in his mother's blog is very much one of us. Inasmuch as he befriended that child confined to a wheelchair that his classmates found repugnant I say he's a sterling example of our breed that we should not only embrace but celebrate as an example of why one SHOULD challenge the stereotypes of the gender commonly associated with one's sex.
I fit in Category 1 by the grace of having learned that I do not have to emulate a woman in order to take what tickles my fancy from their presumably untouchable selection of fashion. Had I not come to understand that about myself, I'd probably be some closeted crossdresser, and would never have come to understand that that isn't me. I am male! I can be sensitive when it is appropriate, but I also have a full charge of testosterone. I have no real desire to be a woman or to imitate one. I love vaginas, but I don't really want to have one.

I wish I could self-analyze as well as some on this site can, but I can't; therefore I ask "What does it matter?" I am myself; I reject anyone's attempts to pigenhole me, to put me in some category. If people can't deal with who and what I am, screw them; I don't have to explain myself to anyone or rationalize what I like and dislike. I am fine as I am. I am probably conservative by the standards of some on here, and borderline TV by the standards of others. But I don't want to imitate a woman, just take what I like from the same catalogs from which they shop. And when I go out in public, I am prepared to knock the livin' s--t out of the first redneck that says boo to me. Sorry to offend anyone's feminine sensitivities, but that's just the facts, m'aam.

For your interest:

http://www.pinkpistols.org/

In the spirit of Malcom X, their motto is "Armed queers don’t get bashed." Fact is, in this country, if you're a victim, you are partly to blame.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Franinskirts wrote:Actually Al she lives in North Carolina. And is not against the
Governor of South Carolina. And I agree she is one
hell of a mom for the way she is raising her children.

Sorry, I presumed that she was in South Carolina by her reference to HB2.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:Sorry to offend anyone's feminine sensitivities, but that's just the facts, m'aam.
HOW DARE YOU!!!

Nah... just foolin around... I understand what you're saying... it takes all kinds! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Uncle Al wrote:
Franinskirts wrote:Actually Al she lives in North Carolina. And is not against the
Governor of South Carolina. And I agree she is one
hell of a mom for the way she is raising her children.

Sorry, I presumed that she was in South Carolina by her reference to HB2.

Uncle Al
I wish it was South Carolina that had HB2 and not us here in the Old North State. I am willing to trade governors with SC any day, however. Theirs is a bit more intelligent than ours.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Kudos Moonshadow, you got what I was saying.

Dillon, and Carl for that matter, please take a look at my photos and tell me I look feminine. My soon to be ex- insists I didn't come across as feminine when I was a full-blown crossdresser and trying to present myself as a woman.

Now I'm utterly clear that I am a MAN in a dress. (I say dresses because that's what I usually wear ... not that I lack for skirts.)

So in a sense I agree with you Carl; I do not consider myself some sort of psychological hermaphrodite. But I acknowledge that I have a more "feminine" bent to my personality than the statistical norm for American males. And that doesn't make me any less of a man; one of my fellow crossdressers described me as "feisty." Most folks in one sense or another describe my communication style as some variant of blunt. Pretty butch wouldn't you say?

And just as I felt one of the most deliciously feminine members of my church choir (unfortunately she's married!) nailed it when she said in trying to wrap her brain around my wardrobe choices, "People should just be able to wear what they like!" I replied, "And it doesn't go any deeper than that." And for all practical purposes it doesn't.

But I've been told I "look beautiful" in my 'Sunday go to meetin' clothes' and that I'm "gentler." Neither of which make me any less of a man; all of us by going out and about in skirts are living exactly what you said Carl (well, at least after we wash out the misogynistic rants) that there's more to being a man than being a beer-swilling, brawling bully or even the somewhat cleaned-up and dressed-up version a la Donald Trump.

Please notice my choice of words, "man" vs. "masculine." (Come to think of it, I slipped when I said "100% male" in my last piece when I meant "masculine.")

So while I agree that there are darn few of us who want to be women or mistaken for one as we go out and about, I stand by my original point, if we weren't at least a little more feminine, as it's arbitrarily defined by our society, than the average guy, we wouldn't even think of wearing skirts or dresses, let alone in public except to express disdain for women.

Instead we wear those items to celebrate all of our selves and to acknowledge the strength of women and femininity. Starting with their first having the guts to wear what they darned well please. (And Carl, in most cases, not to deny their own femininity or to challenge our masculinity but just because.)

Once we own that we are fundamentally different from most red-blooded American males, let's move on to Caultron's point and the place that Moonshadow is getting to: that labels or categories are useful only insofar as they help you understand and accept yourself and once you achieve that stop stressing about the moniker and revel in the joy of being yourself.

And lighten up fer cryin' out loud.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Dillon, and Carl for that matter, please take a look at my photos and tell me I look feminine. My soon to be ex- insists I didn't come across as feminine when I was a full-blown crossdresser and trying to present myself as a woman.
You don't look feminine in the photos I've seen, and I'm hot insinuating that looking somewhat "feminine" is necessarily a bad thing. Of note is that most all-out crossdressers -- no matter how hard they try and how many airs they put on -- are usually fairly easy to recognise as men.

The point I was trying to make is that unless it's made perfectly clear that adopting skirts and dresses by men who identify as men is acceptable and "normal" the notion won't stand a chance of getting off the ground. Without the ability to unashamedly stand tall and be a man in a skirt/dress skirts/dresses will remain the province of women and the trans-* class(es).
[...] I do not consider myself some sort of psychological hermaphrodite. But I acknowledge that I have a more "feminine" bent to my personality than the statistical norm for American males. And that doesn't make me any less of a man [...]
What it means to be a man has changed quite dramatically over the past several decades. Men used to be allowed to be sensitive and caring. They were allowed vastly more leeway emotionally than now. Fathers were allowed to be fathers and coddle their children. Look what happens today. Society sees a man hugging a child and the cops get called -- and the man better hope that the cops knows that he's the father. "Big boys don't cry" is a frequent mantra of man-haters; in point of fact, men do cry -- and it's healthy. Men suppress emotion at their peril. 'Tis better to embrace and use emotion as a guide but not to be a slave to it. Gentility used to be a male hallmark, hence the term "gentlemen": it's the ability to remain sensitive to things, not "act out", and to retain an open mind. Do any of these traits I describe really only belong solely to the female of the species? I posit not. Strip a man of his ability to feel and you've emasculated him as surely as if you've lopped off his genitals.
[...] I've been told I "look beautiful" in my 'Sunday go to meetin' clothes' and that I'm "gentler." Neither of which make me any less of a man; all of us by going out and about in skirts are living exactly what you said Carl [...]
I've been called "beautiful" a couple of times, and it's a grand compliment. Embrace it if you receive it. Recall, though, that "beauty is skin deep" and that the corollary is that "ugly goes straight to the bone". True beauty must emanate from deep within, and that, too, is not solely the province of women. It's just that fairly recently our brains have been conditioned that when we see a physically attractive guy who isn't buffed-out-studly that we automatically think, "trans-*". That's media and societal pressure at work, and that maze of misinformation needs to be unwired from our heads.
So while I agree that there are darn few of us who want to be women or mistaken for one as we go out and about, I stand by my original point, if we weren't at least a little more feminine, as it's arbitrarily defined by our society, than the average guy, we wouldn't even think of wearing skirts or dresses, let alone in public except to express disdain for women.
I underlined the key piece of that thought above. Not only is it arbitrary, but it's also a moving target that's having components that men have long enjoyed taken away from time to time. The "box" really is shrinking. At what point will it vanish completely?
Once we own that we are fundamentally different from most red-blooded American males, let's move on to Caultron's point and the place that Moonshadow is getting to: that labels or categories are useful only insofar as they help you understand and accept yourself and once you achieve that stop stressing about the moniker and revel in the joy of being yourself.
But are were all that different from our brethren in jeans and wife-beater t-shirts? I think not, and I also think that lots of other men think the same thing -- they just don't dare act on the thought less they get slapped with a label they find uncomfortable (or, sometimes, worse). I do not view what we're doing as opening new ground, but rather that we're taking back our birthright as men to be sensitive, to be caring, to have fun.
And lighten up fer cryin' out loud.
Indeed.

PDXfashionpioneer and I are likely a lot closer on this than many might think. My primary argument is that unless a place-holder gets created for guys who identify as guys and want to expand their horizons without getting a trans-* label slapped on them nothing will go anywhere save for the retrograde direction it's been going in for the past 35 years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

By George you got it Carl!

This is one of those you say "Po taa to" I say "Po ta to" things.

The fact that I didn't instantly embrace that compliment of "beautiful" is a great example. My hesitation came from my not wanting to be mistaken for a female wanna-be.

I also want to say I think that in fact the box is expanding. No one, and I mean no one has called me anything but "sir" when I was skirted. No one, has said anything to me in the Men's Room either and I remember in the '80s on Halloween for being called out for being in the Men's Room because I was wearing one of my 1st wife's evening gowns as a costume.

So I agree Carl, we're splitting hairs ... but still say there are more angels dancing on the head of MY pin and that's despite their really rocking out! :D
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

I go on a road trip, don't keep up with postings here, and this thread appears.

Very interesting, in many ways.

I stand in awe of the parenting skills of the couple in the article.

And I've enjoyed the introspection of the folks who have commented on why they wear skirts. They've made me think. I'd like to think that my motivation for wearing skirts is simply that I think men should be allowed to wear skirts . . . but I doubt it's really that simple. For any of us, really.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Orange Apple wrote:...I'd like to think that my motivation for wearing skirts is simply that I think men should be allowed to wear skirts . . . but I doubt it's really that simple. For any of us, really.
Permission or legality to wear skirts is easy. It's OK. You can't go to jail for it.

The reason for wearing skirts is vastly more complex and personal.

I could rattle off half a dozen reasons I like to wear skirts but most of them are probably speculation or self-deceptive.

Like, if I say I like to wear skirts because they're comfortable, are they really that comfortable, that I would risk the social cost of doing so? Or is it because in my high school and college days I didn't relate very well to women, and still harbor a desire to handle that problem by becoming one, at least partially. Or is that way to deep to be likely?

I'm 69 now and I can remember being half that and going on a crash diet to fit into panties and pantyhose. Never in public, though, back then, except under pants. But I've wanted to wear skirts all the time since. But only actually did these last 3-4 years. So there's something going on that's more complicated than comfortable.

I like earrings and my pony tail, but keep my beard and male pattern baldness. I don't wear blouses or bras or fake breasts but wonder what I'd look like if I did. I have no desire for makeup or a wig.

Figure out all that. Because if I can't, I bet you can't either.

So it is what it is and if it feels good, do it.

I used to bicycle a lot, and participated in organized 100-mile rides called, "centuries." Everybody wore skink-tight jerseys and shorts, just like professional bicycle racers. So I was pedaling along one day and noticed a typically-thin guy in a Lycra jersey that clearly revealed breasts. He saw me watching him and his expression seemed to say, "Yeah, I know what you're looking at." I clammed up but to this day I wish I'd prompted him, "That's an unusual physique," and seen what he had to say.

What's that got to say about wanting to wear a skirt now? BTHOOM. But if it feels good, do it.

I've never had a homosexual incident, nor do I want one. It's not as unthinkable as it used to be but I still don't want it. How does that relate to wearing skirts? Hell if I know.

I've always enjoyed being a rebel, but don't we all? One way or another?

If your motivation is any less nebulous, you're definitely ahead of me.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Caultron wrote: Figure out all that. Because if I can't, I bet you can't either.
There are many things that I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out. One reason is that it's not possible to tell if you've really figured it out. You may think you have, but you may just be rationalizing. And it simply does not matter.
Caultron wrote:So it is what it is and if it feels good, do it.
My wearing a skirt is not harmful to anyone except perhaps to me if I'm too sensitive to how other people react. If other folks have a problem with it, it's their problem.
Caultron wrote:I used to bicycle a lot, and participated in organized 100-mile rides called, "centuries." Everybody wore skink-tight jerseys and shorts, just like professional bicycle racers. So I was pedaling along one day and noticed a typically-thin guy in a Lycra jersey that clearly revealed breasts. He saw me watching him and his expression seemed to say, "Yeah, I know what you're looking at."
I have noticed a lot more men with breasts lately. I suppose I should call them "manboobs" but I hate that term, and for someone like me, they're breasts. My conclusion, based completely on my own speculation (don't confuse me with facts) is that there are several factors at work. I would like to think that men are less self conscious about their bodies these days and have decided (like me) that the physical pain of hiding their chest development is not worth it. And, at least here in the US, we're more obese than ever, which for some men results in obvious breasts. And finally I suspect that a few of the men I'm observing with breasts actually have a vagina.

Maybe the same trend will occur with men wearing skirts. The more common it becomes, the less people will notice.
Caultron wrote:I clammed up but to this day I wish I'd prompted him, "That's an unusual physique," and seen what he had to say.
You are in good company. It has been about three years now since I decided that hiding my breasts was silly. I don't wear much skin-tight stuff but it's very obvious when I wear a T-shirt that there's something there to remark about . . . yet I don't think even one person over those years has actually said anything. Maybe they remark to their friends, but never to me.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Orange Apple wrote:
Caultron wrote:I clammed up but to this day I wish I'd prompted him, "That's an unusual physique," and seen what he had to say.
You are in good company. It has been about three years now since I decided that hiding my breasts was silly. I don't wear much skin-tight stuff but it's very obvious when I wear a T-shirt that there's something there to remark about . . . yet I don't think even one person over those years has actually said anything. Maybe they remark to their friends, but never to me.
Well, a lot of people must be curious, just as I was, but what do you say? Nice tits? What's with the boobs? No, almost certainly not. And by the time I came up with the milder query, "That's an unusual physique," ten or fifteen minutes had passed and he was gone.

But it must give a person a different view of life, just as wearing a skirt does. Other people are going to notice and react.

I've seen only one other guy with "manboobs" but that was due to obesity and not really noticeable when he had a shirt on. I was perilously close to having them myself when I was much heavier. But to me that's not the same as real, fully-structured breasts.

Nowadays, if I did see someone, I'd definitely try to find a way of asking. I could start with, "That's a nice top," or something.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The emergence of men's breasts could have something to do with being overweight but is probably more due to the preponderance of chemicals mimicking the female hormone oestrogen sloshing around in the environment. It's thought to be responsible for the decrease in sperm count and the feminisation of male fish.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.