Get kilt in Texas

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Get kilt in Texas

Post by skirtyscot »

Check the photo at the top of this article. First thing you notice is probably that the gun is the wrong way round. Look again at what the guy is wearing. Modelled by a member here, perhaps?
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... businesses
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Get kilt in Texas

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtyscot wrote:Check the photo at the top of this article. First thing you notice is probably that the gun is the wrong way round. Look again at what the guy is wearing. Modelled by a member here, perhaps?
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... businesses
First thing you notice is probably that the gun is the wrong way round.

As John Wayne would put it "Not so fast there young fella" !

He could be left handed and his method was a cross draw across the body.
Didn't see enough of the holster but it appeared to be a left hand one
worn off the right hip and that is the way the carrier is set to wear it.
While the gun may not be drawn as fast it is not so much getting off the
first shot but the first shot that hits it target.
And this gun carrier would be despised by General Patton - a single action
revolver with plastic white hand grips - an abomination - but I won't pick
a fight with the carrier.
A pistol would be the firearm of choice for concealed carry - a revolver is
not so much - but the revolver presents itself as a bigger gun.
While the revolver is the more powerful firearm it has fewer available shots
than the pistol so there are arguments pro and con in that respect.
Never the less they are both killing instruments.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My view from this side of the Pond is that I for one am apalled. Absolutely no kilt wearers here would so adorn their belts, or be allowed to do do.

Even on this 'sainted' little isle the drug gangs all have and use shooters, but the General Public just wishes they'd dissolve or be put away. Alas, Our police force is always two steps behind and unwilling to confront these armed thugs. What's really disturbing is how young most of them are.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tom -

As I understand it only a select division of your police have and are authorized to use firearms.
Even with a bullet proof vest no self-respecting pro-life cop is going to go up against an armed thug.
They are lucky to survive such an encounter - vests don't cover head shots !
Fortunately in your country you don't have the VERY HIGH level of crime that is prevalent in the USA.

Talk about arms - automatic and semi-automatic weapons with multiple round magazines to spray
a school yard or public common place. No this is not a backyard with single shot pea shooters hunting
squirrels or other pests.

Can't we all live in peace is a cry in vain !

Tom - Yes you are correct wearing a firearm while wearing a kilt is an oxymoron - the appropriate
weapon would be at least a Sgian Dubh or a Claymore for heavy combat.
But caution don't take a knife to a gun fight !

FANCY THAT THIS WILL BE MY 911 POST !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

When the US Constitution and Bill of Rights were proposed, the second amendment stated:
  • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
This was because at the time, the United States had no real standing army. If they needed an armed response, they called up a militia, which was a group of volunteers who brought their own horses and rifles.

In recent times, however, pro-gun organizers have successfully interpreted this and banning any sort of gun control. And as a result, a virtual arms race of citizens buying ever-more powerful weapons has ensued.

Most people actually don't support this, and favor some sort of gun control. But the pro-gun bloc is large enough to swing the margin of victory in an election, and so they've been getting their way.

Currently the Arizona legislature is considering bills to ban prohibition of guns on college campuses, and to require any business that wants to prohibit guns on its property to install metal detectors and hire armed security guards. The rationale in both cases is that if somebody starts shooting at you, you need your gun to fight back. I know, insane, but reality nevertheless.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah yes, R.M.,

Weapons: I've always found the claymore a tad unwieldy. The old wrists aren't what they used to be anymore. An alternative for close combat has always been the spiked ball on a short chain with a short handle :wink: . Not the sort of thing you'd adorn your kilt with, either!

Tom.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Kirbstone wrote:Ah yes, R.M.,

Weapons: I've always found the claymore a tad unwieldy. The old wrists aren't what they used to be anymore. An alternative for close combat has always been the spiked ball on a short chain with a short handle :wink: . Not the sort of thing you'd adorn your kilt with, either!

Tom.
Right you are! The two handed claymore hangs on my wall only to be taken down for wearing at the local Renaissance Festival where it is worn in a behind the back scabbard. For the life of me I don't see how it could be drawn without contorting my arms and shoulders into an abnormal position. My small caliber revolver, however, fits nicely in my sporran.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

For those who are squeamish about having heat on their kilt belt, a thigh/hip holster works wonders. Might not even have to draw the weapon to cause your attackers to run. Just the fact that you're lifting the hem might scare them off. ;-P

Oh, and, yes, the 2nd amendment is quite valid today. Those of us who are liberals are wrong to think that the Constitution is a living & breathing document. It isn't. And never will be.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kilted_John wrote:Oh, and, yes, the 2nd amendment is quite valid today. Those of us who are liberals are wrong to think that the Constitution is a living & breathing document. It isn't. And never will be.
Actually, the Constitution of The United States is largely a dead document now -- or, as it was termed by Ronald Reagan, "An inconvenient document."

Precisely the only one of the original Bill of Rights that's not been fiddled with, ignored, or forgotten is the Third -- that of billeting soldiers in private dwellings in times of peace. The rest are now effectively null and void. The founders screwed up and tacked essential liberties into an appendix rather than weaving them inextricably into the main body.

Don't blindly believe the text. Observe and evaluate the behaviour of the State and how it applies that text; that's all the evidence one needs to see that the whole thing is stone-cold dead.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kilted_John wrote:Oh, and, yes, the 2nd amendment is quite valid today. Those of us who are liberals are wrong to think that the Constitution is a living & breathing document. It isn't. And never will be.
Agreed. But I'd like to point out a common observation that I make when reading the paper.... the constitution has been urinated on by both conservatives and liberals. It just depends on what part, and who's doing the peeing.

The constitution, like the bible, are frequently mentioned in the U.S., however seldom read.

It's all just a game... and the only ones coming out on top is the ruling elite. And we sit back and let it happen, all in the name of "safety" and "God".

The elite keep us peasantry bickering among ourselves, electing one puppet after another, promising this, promising that, and at the end of the day... the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. They won't take away the 2nd amendment. They'll just make it so difficult to own a gun that it will be prohibitive. Think "marijuana tax stamp". But it doesn't matter, nobody's going to overthrow anything with shot guns, muskets, hand guns. Not when they've got the bombs, the nukes, the tanks, and fighter jets.

I do sometimes puzzle over how a nation of "faithful" needs the reassurance of a gun?

And before anyone get's the wrong idea, NO I'm not some left wing liberal. I could care less who has a gun as long as they're not pointing it at me. In fact I've got a hand gun coming my way as it stands, Mom's giving me one of my step father's. I'm just waiting on finances to clear up a little so I can get my CC. Not sure what I would do with it. I have no desire to shoot anyone. A part of me doesn't really want it, I just like having confidence to be me, rooted in my own heart and soul... not a firearm. And I'm afraid that me owning one would take away from that. Before you know it, I'll only be brave "when I'm packing heat".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

moonshadow wrote:And before anyone get's the wrong idea, NO I'm not some left wing liberal. I could care less who has a gun as long as they're not pointing it at me. In fact I've got a hand gun coming my way as it stands, Mom's giving me one of my step father's. I'm just waiting on finances to clear up a little so I can get my CC. Not sure what I would do with it. I have no desire to shoot anyone. A part of me doesn't really want it, I just like having confidence to be me, rooted in my own heart and soul... not a firearm. And I'm afraid that me owning one would take away from that. Before you know it, I'll only be brave "when I'm packing heat".
Brief word: ex-Navy, ex-sworn peace officer, IPSC and IDPA (handgun) competitor since '81. Concealed carrier since '96.

As a private citizen my "rules of engagement" are simple: ONLY if I or an immediate family member is in immediate danger of death or serious physical injury, or rape. Period. If that does not apply, escape-and-evasion protocols rule the day. Paying attention to detail about what is going on around me helps me decide to stay or leave. There are places I no longer go, armed or not. People I no longer hang with, armed or not. Being "brave" when packing is a disaster waiting to happen. Bear in mind: a bullet may only cost $1.00 at the gun store, but it will likely cost $1,000,000 on the street. (Legal fees, and you are found not guilty.) It gets worse. Criminal charges, civil charges, all kinds of bad. Google Masaad Ayoob and read/study his work. try to take his "Judicious Use of Deadly Force" class. (I'm under no requirement to do so, but I take annual classes to prove and improve my skills and learn the latest tactics and thoughts and watch-and-pick-apart-what-others-did in surveillance cams.

When wearing a skirt, it is "more difficult" to play the "invisible man." I adopted, when I first got my CCW the motto of the submarine service: "Run Silent, Run Deep." Do your homework, do your reading assignments and practice the skills in case the bad guys target you because as a skirt-wearing man you're not "a real man" and are an easy victim. Hopefully, there WILL be someone else there who is inordinately "brave" and intervenes while you and yours are getting safely away.

Don't fall to the temptation to "be a real man." You want to be there for your lady on that day, the next day and many many days thereafter. You DO NOT want to be in the cemetery, or the penal system.

This has been a Public Service Announcement. :mrgreen:

Went running around today in 18-degree (F) weather with single-digit wind chills, I think. Fleece-lined tights under a half-slip under a knee-length pencil skirt under a mid-calf-length Tulle skirt. Nice and warm. Even when the wind got a piece of the Tulle skirt and swirled it. :D
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Darryl wrote:As a private citizen my "rules of engagement" are simple: ONLY if I or an immediate family member is in immediate danger of death or serious physical injury, or rape. Period. If that does not apply, escape-and-evasion protocols rule the day. Paying attention to detail about what is going on around me helps me decide to stay or leave. There are places I no longer go, armed or not. People I no longer hang with, armed or not. Being "brave" when packing is a disaster waiting to happen. Bear in mind: a bullet may only cost $1.00 at the gun store, but it will likely cost $1,000,000 on the street. (Legal fees, and you are found not guilty.) It gets worse. Criminal charges, civil charges, all kinds of bad. Google Masaad Ayoob and read/study his work. try to take his "Judicious Use of Deadly Force" class. (I'm under no requirement to do so, but I take annual classes to prove and improve my skills and learn the latest tactics and thoughts and watch-and-pick-apart-what-others-did in surveillance cams.

When wearing a skirt, it is "more difficult" to play the "invisible man." I adopted, when I first got my CCW the motto of the submarine service: "Run Silent, Run Deep." Do your homework, do your reading assignments and practice the skills in case the bad guys target you because as a skirt-wearing man you're not "a real man" and are an easy victim. Hopefully, there WILL be someone else there who is inordinately "brave" and intervenes while you and yours are getting safely away.

Don't fall to the temptation to "be a real man." You want to be there for your lady on that day, the next day and many many days thereafter. You DO NOT want to be in the cemetery, or the penal system.
Yep, it's a lot to consider in that split second moment before you pull the trigger. I've never been armed in my life, and so far, my own intellect, common sense, or perhaps just good old fashioned dumb luck has served me well in the last 35 years. Perhaps it will continue to do so for another 35.

A real man will only engage in a fair fight. If I, unarmed, and wearing a skirt should be shot by someone, then a real man would have died, and a coward walked away. Of course, these are all ethics and ideals that don't necessarily apply. It seems everyone in my world, family, friends, strangers I don't even know are all trying to convince me to "get a gun" get a gun" "get a gun". Ultra conservatives and pro-gun people call me all types of nasty names, stupid, a fool, coward, naive, because I choose to live my life unarmed.

Sometimes I think I'm going to be shot not for what I'm wearing, or my religious beliefs, but simply because I don't own a gun, and it seems you can't call yourself a red blooded American unless you're armed to the teeth.

I'm not a pacifist. If someone really wants to engage in a fair fight, using whatever God gave us, in addition to what ever stick or rock is laying around (both would have access to it), then I'm game. One, the other, or both may get pretty busted up, broken nose, ribs, teeth, etc. But we both live to see another day. Often times when two guys are just duking it out, the law doesn't even get involved.

People are too damned uncivilized now. Seems all everybody wants to do is pop a cap in somebody anymore. It seems nobody has any value on life.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

[Mod hat on]

Gentlemen, this is stuff that (1) should be common knowledge here in the US of A where things can, and indeed do, get insane from time to time, and (2) stuff that is deeply troubling for our more civilised brethren elsewhere on the planet. It's also off-topic for this forum; there are other fora more appropriate for these sorts of conversations.

Can we please cool it on this particular topic now?

Thanks.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes,
It was cool outside my front door this morning. After 6 weeks of successive storms and daily rain, hey presto! A little frost, gone by 9.30AM and SUN!!

Driving to work at that time is heaven. Everybody is already at work and I have the roads to myself. Sunroof open, nice music, and I don't have to worry about the National Constitution !

They've just dissolved Parliament here and called a General Election for Feb. 26th, so posters with mugshots on them are hanging from every lamp-post, it seems. Not having a TV. I don't know to whom these mugshots belong, or care.

Next W'end but one is Trip to Kerry time...214 miles/4 hours and I'll drive there skirted, of course. No weapons!

Tom :!:
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

moonshadow wrote:And before anyone get's the wrong idea, NO I'm not some left wing liberal. I could care less who has a gun as long as they're not pointing it at me. In fact I've got a hand gun coming my way as it stands, Mom's giving me one of my step father's. I'm just waiting on finances to clear up a little so I can get my CC. Not sure what I would do with it. I have no desire to shoot anyone. A part of me doesn't really want it, I just like having confidence to be me, rooted in my own heart and soul... not a firearm. And I'm afraid that me owning one would take away from that. Before you know it, I'll only be brave "when I'm packing heat".
Here's a question about being "gifted" with a firearm. Does said weapon need to be registered? I know laws vary in different states but I was given a gun that belonged to a deceased friend. I never had it registered. I wonder if I were questioned by the police am I legal or not?