Get kilt in Texas

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Get kilt in Texas

Post by moonshadow »

rick401r wrote:Here's a question about being "gifted" with a firearm. Does said weapon need to be registered? I know laws vary in different states but I was given a gun that belonged to a deceased friend. I never had it registered. I wonder if I were questioned by the police am I legal or not?
I'm not sure, that's the biggest reason I want to take the CC class, not necessarily because I have interest in carrying it all of the time, (it's actually too big to fit in my purse) but basically so I can aquatint myself with the law on these matters. I'm pretty sure it will vary heavily depending on what state you are in.

Really, I'm waiting on some politics to clear up in Virginia before I take the class and ask the questions, whereas the AG in Virginia declared that VA would not recognize CC permits from 25 other states, including virtually every state that surrounds us. A severe backlash resulted, it was a very unpopular move for people on both sides of the isle, and Tennessee is considering legislation to not recognize Virginia CC permits now. VA has since backpedaled and the governor (a democrat) has entered into an agreement to rectify this and continue reciprocation with the other 25 states again, however Delegate Carrico says we're not out of the woods yet, as the General Assembly still has to approve it.

Right now, Carrico is suggesting we take a Utah CC class, and register for their permit to get around the reciprocation issue, as apparently Utah's are accepted everywhere.

I'm just waiting to see how this clears up before I start throwing a bunch of money at different states all over the union for various CC permits.

The gun is still at mom's now. I'm not even sure if I can get it or not. Questions like yours I need to find out, if it needs to be registered or not. I also need to find out how I am supposed to transport it if I don't have a CC at the time. I've been told that is just needs to be out in the open and unloaded (not in the trunk or in the glove box).

Interesting tidbit: My interpretation of Virginia code states that apparently I break the law every time I carry my athame (dagger) in the woods under my robe, as it's technically a "concealed weapon". I always just kind of "chanced it", I think they are mostly after guns, but that's another question I want to find out about as I dig into this.

Lots of questions, lots of questions... Gun law is getting about as complicated as corporate tax law...

Carl, I assume your mod call out was because our discussion was starting to get a little... whats the word.... "passionate?". I'm on the assumption that the post above, being more in "neutral" territory (just the nuts and bolts of gun law) is fine. If not, I apologize, as I must have misunderstood. But just so everyone knows, my blood pressure has yet to rise over this thread. If I've said something out of the way, it wasn't my intent. :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

The media has been going on and on about this now that Texas once again is allowing open carrying of guns. Texas has had concealed carry for quite some time.

Without more information about the photo I'll say it looks staged to me. Yes the pistol is in a cross draw configuration but the holster it not a cross draw holster which is what tends to make me think it was staged by a photographer that does not understand the proper carrying or guns. The fact that the man appears to be weaning a kilt, again not enough information to make a comment about it.

IMHO, open carrying of a gun in an urban environment it asking for trouble and its something I would never do. I do however open carry a revolver when I'm at the farm. Even now I take the gun off before heading into town. I suspect in town the rural people would probably not care one way or the other about it but its just one more thing I would not want to have to deal with while in town.

:ugeek:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

rick401r wrote:
moonshadow wrote:And before anyone get's the wrong idea, NO I'm not some left wing liberal. I could care less who has a gun as long as they're not pointing it at me. In fact I've got a hand gun coming my way as it stands, Mom's giving me one of my step father's. I'm just waiting on finances to clear up a little so I can get my CC. Not sure what I would do with it. I have no desire to shoot anyone. A part of me doesn't really want it, I just like having confidence to be me, rooted in my own heart and soul... not a firearm. And I'm afraid that me owning one would take away from that. Before you know it, I'll only be brave "when I'm packing heat".
Here's a question about being "gifted" with a firearm. Does said weapon need to be registered? I know laws vary in different states but I was given a gun that belonged to a deceased friend. I never had it registered. I wonder if I were questioned by the police am I legal or not?
The laws indeed are variable by state county and city.
As for the Federal laws and regulations - there is an awful amount of loopholes to close i.e. selling at gun shows without need of background checks.

I once was a FFL gun dealer many years ago.
I believe that the rule has not changed.
If you are licensed as a gun dealer then the paper work must be filed - even if the gun recipient is within the family and would inherit it anyway.
Being a gun dealer does not remove the requirement of a background check even if it maybe less formal and in house with a family member.

rick401r
You inherited the gun by legal means - suggest you check with a gun shop or FFL dealer and find out what you need to do.
A call to your local police department or county sheriff maybe useful after taking the above action - FFL gun dealer.
Remember ignorance of the law is not an excuse - firearms are a sensitive issue these days.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

MOD HAT - ON
This thread is misleading, yet interesting. Get kilt in Texas drew me in as I'm in Texas and
I thought someone had found a new product source. I didn't think they meant killed in Texas.
Someone left of the apostrophe ( ' ) from kilt' which becomes a slang term for killed.

From - Image Kilt - a noun : a knee-length pleated skirt, usually
of tartan, worn by men in Scotland and by Scottish regiments in the British armies.

I would recommend that members take heed from the forum title.
This thread is Waaaaaaaaaay Off Topic and this type of discussion
should be in the Off Topic section, or not on this forum at all.

Personal protection is up to the individual - not for open discussion.
But please consider the following info - in the U.S., any state that
has open carry has a crime rate next to nothing. The 'visual' of seeing
a gun, carried on a persons hip, tells the 'would-be villains' to forget
trying anything 'funny'. They would, most likely, end up in jail or dead.
Survival of the 'would-be villain' takes president over the proposed crime.

Chicago, Illinois has some of the most restrictive gun laws in our nation - YET,
this city ranks in the top 4 cities with the highest crime rate, gun related or not.

The country of Switzerland issues a gun/rifle to each of its citizens who are
18 years of age or older. They receive proper weapons training for the gun.
Switzerland's crime rate, gun related or not, is " 0 ". This is remarkable to
have this world recognition.

So, if you don't want to carry a gun - even with proper training - that is your
choice. Just remember that if you're threatened by a gun toting criminal, you'll
probably pray that the police, carrying guns, come to your aid before the criminal
finds you.

If this thread continues in this vein - IT WILL BE LOCKED :!:

MOT HAT-OFF

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Uncle Al makes a point !

Marshall Wyatt Earp here - Uncle Al called me out to quell this kilted gun fight at the OK corral somewhere west of the Pecos.
So it is time to move this Kilted western saga back on track.

So can you wear a kilt - Hell YES !
Can you wear a kilt with arms - well maybe depends on the arms - human anatomy YES - WMD - NO !

My take on wearing a kilt while like the image portrayed with a firearm is that it spoils the image of wearing a kilt.

There was brigade of kilted infantry that caused the Germans to falter and lose there whether-with-all during the
war when the "Ladies from Hell" attacked their position -or- or was the "Laddies from Hell" ?
With that idea in mind I think I may falter and lose my whether-with-all seeing the oddity of an individual in a kilt with firearm.

To me kilts are more of the Braveheart vein when thinking about fighting.
But this is the civilized world now (Oh how I wish it was with all that mid-east crap).

So can you wear a kilt IN TEXAS - hell YES !
Uncle Al does as well as a bunch of others here as well as forum followers at the Brotherhood of the Kilt (BOTK) kiltsrock.
Texas is big enough that everyone can wear pretty much what they want but a bit of caution getting a little too much exuberant with accessories !
Some of the toys while they bring pleasure are not really suited for mainstreet exposure.

So if wearing a kilt and you have that CC (Conceal Carry) just make sure that when you lift that kilt apron
that you get the right BIG gun.
Last time I made this comment CR had to buy a new keyboard spilling his coffee drink on it !
Better that you use the small piece in the James Bond belt buckle and not be so revealing !

Now if we all can't get along and keep this on track Uncle Al will have to don his funeral kilt and put an end (lock) on this !
Let's not "make his day" or let him "feel lucky" - that of course is in another movie from another time !
Good thing too as I didn't want to bring up the subject of kilted wearing with laser light sabres - the force may not be with me on this !

OK my aim may have been off but did it make a point to convince Uncle Al ?

And like the children say in going over the hills and through the woods to grandmas - "Are we there yet" ?

Peace keeping without a Peace Keeper is a tough job - best left to the professionals !

And then there those folks who bring pleasure by their presence and arrival and then perhaps like myself who
should be shown the door leaving - don't let it hit you in the rear on the way out !

Have a good read folks !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rick401r wrote: Here's a question about being "gifted" with a firearm. Does said weapon need to be registered? I know laws vary in different states but I was given a gun that belonged to a deceased friend. I never had it registered. I wonder if I were questioned by the police am I legal or not?
As you said, it depends on your state. In Ohio, where your profile says you reside, you are legal. In Illinois, where I live, we need an ID to purchase guns, ammo, or own a gun, but the guns aren't registered. See https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/ohio/ for NRA's summary for Ohio and link for other states. (I'm not implying I support the politics of the NRA in recent years.)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I must say that after reading R.M.'s response to my post I'm glad I wasn't
drinking any coffee or other beverage. This way I don't have to go out and
buy a new keyboard :rofl:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
jolt_34500

Post by jolt_34500 »

My opine here is only going to be on the question of "Is he carrying the wrong way" and not wandering off to the other aspects of second amendment and all of the other stuff. I will answer with the response of no and to explain, I carry an 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver, actually an replica 1863 Remington. It has an 8" barrel and measures a total length of approximately 14". In the army manual during the time of the US Civil war it was regulation that the side arm be holstered butt facing forward. I have seen many examples of photos from the period of men carrying their side arms this way for the plains draw or on the opposite hip depending on if they were right handed or left handed for a cross draw. As to the question of carrying whilst wearing with a kilt, I'll leave that to the eye of the beholder.