Jaden Smith Stars In Louis Vuitton's New Womenswear Campaign

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jaden Smith Stars In Louis Vuitton's New Womenswear Camp

Post by Ray »

I don't think Jaden will transition. He's clearly presenting himself as a man. Andrej Pejic was always androgynous and clearly flirted with a feminine presentation.

I've been busy on the Guardian comments section!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

In my own personal opinion I feel that if Jaden has managed to become the star in a series of women's fashion commercials then good on him. the few photos that I've seen of him wearing skirts and or dresses I would say that he look comfortable in them. Beyond that I'd say if that is his style then that's his style and leave it at that.

I will also comment that there are quite a few Hollywood people that will say and or do anything that they can, from the mild to the truly outrageous, just to draw attention to themselves. Remember that just because a person is famous doesn't mean that what they say is good or even right. There are a lot of then that do many things just because they know that their agents will buy them out of anything more than a quick slap on the wrist just because they are who they are. We can all recount stories of the folks that committed crimes that would get us locked up for life that only resulted in a community service fine for them.

Now if we find one that is supportive of the freedom to express ourselves without fear of what another thinks then that is a good thing. If they on the hand are doing something to mock others then now matter how famous they are, it is reprehensible. Remember as well that todays big issue in Hollywood is often tomorrows why did we even react to that. The most important issue that we must deal with is realizing that in the end we will answer for our own actions and no one else's. So we must become certain of ourselves and honest with ourselves. After all if we cannot be honest with ourselves how will we be honest when it comes time to answer for ourselves.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It's not just men in skirts who think that the article in the Independent is a load of nonsense. http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_righ ... g=1&order=
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hoborob wrote:In my own personal opinion I feel that if Jaden has managed to become the star in a series of women's fashion commercials then good on him. the few photos that I've seen of him wearing skirts and or dresses I would say that he look comfortable in them. Beyond that I'd say if that is his style then that's his style and leave it at that...
Exactly. I presume he's just wearing what he want to wear and not actually crusading for anything.

If his actions somewhat legitimize our cause, great, but I doubt that's his intent.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Caultron wrote:If his actions somewhat legitimize our cause, great, but I doubt that's his intent.
Why do you doubt it? Is it based on something he's said or done? His rhetoric has always seemed to be that one should be free to wear whatever one wants without regard to conventions. Isn't that ultimately what we've been about?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Jim2 wrote:...Why do you doubt it? Is it based on something he's said or done?..
Well, you don't see him making speeches or holding news conferences about it. Or at least I haven't. He's just wearing what he likes and politely answering any questions about it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Caultron wrote:Well, you don't see him making speeches or holding news conferences about it. Or at least I haven't. He's just wearing what he likes and politely answering any questions about it.
Ok, I guess you're right about him not "crusading", but I do think he is consciously trying to change people's awareness that skirts and dresses are not just for women.

I've found two new interesting articles on this subject.

http://fusion.net/story/251865/jaden_sm ... t_vuitton/

- This discusses the issue of men wearing so-called women's clothes without trying to look like women. Very positive about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shantell- ... 53062.html

- An opinion piece that is again positive about the idea of men wearing skirts.