Buzzfeed piece about wearing skirts for a week

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Buzzfeed piece about wearing skirts for a week

Post by finrod »

Today a Buzzfeed writer posted a story about his recent experiences wearing skirts for a week:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewguiver/i- ... for-a-week

Buzzfeed is a viral news site whose posts are shared broadly on social media channels and seen by a large audience.

The story is completely pro-skirts-for-men, and has photos of all the skirts he wore. He wore pants under his skirt on most days, but by the end of the week he tried going without, and preferred it.

This same writer wrote another post on the topic earlier this year: 33 Men Rocking Skirts. There was a thread about that story too.

Note: I originally posted this in Skirts and Kilts for Men, but moved it here after remembering this category.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Buzzfeed piece about wearing skirts for a week

Post by melsav »

This is an excellent article and as he admitted himself all the reservations he had about wearing a skirt in public are in his head.
To me the best pic is of him in the kilt, and socks with sandals is a very big no no. :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

melsav wrote:This is an excellent article and as he admitted himself all the reservations he had about wearing a skirt in public are in his head.
To me the best pic is of him in the kilt, and socks with sandals is a very big no no. :D
I don't mind the socks with sandals look (which we call the "German tourist") so much any more, and thought he coordinated the color well in that kilted shot, and also chose interesting socks. Especially with Birks; Chaco/Teva sandals, or fisherman sandals would work ok also. What bothered me is that he still seems too insecure to wear a true skirt sans the unnecessary coverage of jeans beneath. To me, that makes the skirt an accessory, and not a primary garment. But his outfits looked good. Nice to see a bold young man. It's a bit sad, especially in this day and time, if you still feel you have wait until you're as old as most of us to explore your options and have fun with clothing.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:
melsav wrote:This is an excellent article and as he admitted himself all the reservations he had about wearing a skirt in public are in his head.
I don't mind the socks with sandals look (which we call the "German tourist") so much any more, and thought he coordinated the color well in that kilted shot, and also chose interesting socks. Especially with Birks; Chaco/Teva sandals, or fisherman sandals would work ok also. What bothered me is that he still seems too insecure to wear a true skirt sans the unnecessary coverage of jeans beneath. To me, that makes the skirt an accessory, and not a primary garment. But his outfits looked good. Nice to see a bold young man. It's a bit sad, especially in this day and time, if you still feel you have wait until you're as old as most of us to explore your options and have fun with clothing.
DITTO - I too don't like to see twin stovepipes birthing under a chimney stack !
In other words one or the other but not both - it is either skirts/dresses or it is the damn pants !
If weather is a problem then tights PH or maybe leggings to preserve the skin from damage from the elements.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I'm not a fan of skirts-over pants or socks with sandals either, but any guy wearing a skirt is progress.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It's quite funny how many of the comments like the skirts but hate the socks and sandals! I would be less complimentary. Most of his looks are just a mess if you ask me, a random assortment of whatever was at the top of the pile. The short skirts over trousers just add to the general untidiness. When he plucks up the courage to go trouserless, things improve considerably.

But yes, any article advancing the idea of skirts for men is good.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Pants under skirts just seems silly. I mean, what's the point ?

Regular shoes would look 10 times better than Birkenstocks & socks.

But, it's still positive press.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I agree wholeheartedly that trousers (ie pants in the US) under skirts is an incongrous look and defeats the whole purpose of wearing a skirt. The reporter himself wondered why he didn't try it earlier in the week... In some of the comments below the line (almost all complimentary except for the socks/sandals combo), he confirms that he is still occasionally wearing skirts.

Socks with sandals - for me, why not! I don't have any sandals but as I have slim feet I expect they would almost certainly feel uncomfortable and I would certainly wear socks, despite contrary comments from the Fashion Police.

I did see one guy a couple of years back on a nudist beach and that was ALL he was wearing. :shock: :D :D :lol:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels