Men in dresses are the new normal - Mashable

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingseattle

Men in dresses are the new normal - Mashable

Post by skirtingseattle »

Here is a interesting read on the latest in fashions. http://mashable.com/2015/09/23/unisex-f ... L0Ya792aqk

I just posted a comment there which I will cite here. Most of the comments were flame wars back and forth about petty points, so I thought I would inject an informative comment for those readers who found the article and wanted to know people's reactions to it.

"For those of us who wear skirts and/or dresses at home or around town, who identify as male and are heterosexual, almost none of us dress anything like these runway models. There has been considerable debate as to whether-or-not these runway splashes into the popular, cultural consciousness are helpful or hurtful with regards to advancing a culture shift in the attitudes of most of the western world with regard to what men can wear.

If you can imagine a well-dressed man in a tartan kilt (with the accompanying shoes, socks, flashes, vest, jacket, etc.), and this doesn't cause cognitive dissonance in your world view (think of Sean Connery in his finest Scottish tartan outfit), then at some level and in some form you don't have a problem with a man wearing a skirt.

The challenge for those of us who want to push beyond the traditional Scottish/Irish tartan kilt is to do so with conservative and small transformational changes. The first step is to go the sport/utility kilt route with typically darker or safe colors/patterns that could be typically found in a man's pair of pants, shirt, or jacket.

I wear a sport kilt (solid black, blue, grey, beige, etc.) nearly every day around London, and I get noticed everywhere. My wife says that I am often more photographed that the historical sites. I also get positive comments from both women and men. From the women, it is often "I love your kilt" or "Great legs". From men, it is often "Where can I get a kilt like that?" or "Is wearing a kilt comfortable?"

Most people who I have encouraged to try wearing a sport kilt can't believe how comfortable kilts are. If you do a search online, you will find lots of colors and styles of sport/utility kilts from plain cotton canvas to leather to Goth to techno and more.

The take home point is that some men are looking for a little more fashion freedom. The biggest challenge, even in democratic western societies, is getting past our own internal stereotypes about what we are signaling to others when we wear something that 'belongs' to the other sex."

PS I have been living in London for the last 5 months and considered changing my handle. SkirtingLondon?

Chris
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in dresses are the new normal - Mashable

Post by Caultron »

skirtingseattle wrote:?..For those of us who wear skirts and/or dresses at home or around town, who identify as male and are heterosexual, almost none of us dress anything like these runway models...
Almost no one dresses like runway models, not even (in their off time) the models themselves.

The runway is more about creative concepts and art. The actual street (or even society) clothes are quite a bit watered down.

But no designer makes a mane for himself showing mass-market off the rack.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron