A comfy alternative to pants for men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A comfy alternative to pants for men

Post by Tor »

And I seem to be right in the middle. I do live in the world where hanging stuff from my belt or stuffing odd things in my pockets is quite normal, but tame enough to get away without heavy trousers. I keep a utility knife (actually two) on my belt just about all the time, and use them daily. Actually, I get so used to having them there that on more formal occasions when I take them off it feels odd, and I am known to reach for one and have a flash of concern that my belt is empty.

As for fabrics, many skirts are made of stuff too delicate to hold up to what I do. With some of the lighter fabrics, when trying them, I've ended up with fibres stuck to my finger instead of glue on the skirt (it comes out in the wash, or I'd be more careful to use a rag). Conversely, it's too hot much of the time to wear long trousers, and not dealing with nasty stuff all the time I can get away with shorts or a kilt (actually for a good bit of my work I sit in an office chair). I suppose there are plenty of times I should be wearing boots but don't.

For the sort of work you describe, moonshadow, I wouldn't need to be told to wear sturdy trousers and boots, however. In my time I have done some maintenance work in grocery stores (lighting), and am well aware of what gets left far too long. It sounds like you get into rather filthier stuff than I ever did.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have to work in pants. First, because 99.44% of my client base would not understand or appreciate a skirted or kilted man. Second, that I, too, have one of those jobs where pants are a better option for physical reasons.

But that's not why I replied here. I simply wanted to express my profound belief that if we wish to project an image of masculinity for men in skirts, then, please, NEVER, EVER, use the word "comfy". When that word leaves your lips, images of three-dollar bills and football bats won't be far behind. :roll:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Glad to know I am not the only one that does not like "comfy".
Sounds quite sissy to me.

Martin (full of prejudices).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Next thread... "How to choose a skirt that wont make you look fat" LOL
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Couya wrote:Glad to know I am not the only one that does not like "comfy".
Sounds quite sissy to me.

Martin (full of prejudices).
Thanks, Martin. I have nothing against anyone who is gay or trans, but whoever bastardized the word comfortable down to the word comfy could not have come up with a more effeminate sounding term!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Marvy.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Comfy is fabby, English is full of it.
I don't get the "sissy" connotation?
This word is also a derivation from sister, used as an insult to boys who maybe didn't display "macho traits" of a past era.
A question, why use it here?
I was once called "nancy boy" in the street and I had only ever read the term or heard it in a very old film.
That was a bad moment, the only time I have felt truly threatened, but sissy may have had the same effect.
Steve.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Comfy is just a shortened version of comfortable. Nothing sissy about it. Stop being so analytical. We English like the word- it is the Americans who have bastardized our language to suit themselves.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I had loads of run ins with Skip Fraser about this--always trying to teach us English how to speak our own language. Pissed me right off
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

.......and then he'd come out with the expression 'My bad!', presumably meaning that he'd got it wrong, but that was towards the end, when he'd got less prickly. RIP.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I don't know how the English care to sound, but "comfy" is definitely gay on this side of the pond. Sorry, guys, that's just the fact. It isn't my doing.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote:I don't know how the English care to sound, but "comfy" is definitely gay on this side of the pond. Sorry, guys, that's just the fact. It isn't my doing.
One of those interesting little differences between left-pondian and right-pondian. It's quite informal and 'chatty' on this side of the pond, but I've never heard of "comfy" having any gay connotations.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I did not think of either "sissy" or "comfy" as gay; rather meaning soft, but also used by an older generation.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:I don't know how the English care to sound, but "comfy" is definitely gay on this side of the pond.
I think we may be dealing with dialect problems here. Up here in New England, "comfy" is merely a shortened form of "comfortable" with a bit of "plush" thrown in for good measure. I view "comfy" as something soft and warm indoors while in the middle of a howling blizzard outside -- quite comforting indeed (image: sitting next to a roaring fire in your favourite bathrobe enjoying a hot cup of coffee while the wind whistles outside). I use the term occasionally, and never with any sort of derogatory tone to it.

Of course I still occasionally -- defiantly -- use the terms "gay" and "queer" with their original meanings just to confuse the audience. It's a hoot to hear the gears in their brains strip when they try to recall that those were actually common and acceptable everyday words not so long ago.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Could be that there is a bit of a north-south, city-rural thing to it also; down here you don't even hear women use the term. Mostly, the only time it's heard is around Christmas, as a lyric from the Leroy Anderson (secular) Christmas song Sleigh Ride:

Our cheeks are nice and rosy
And comfy cozy are we
We're snuggled up together like two
Birds of a feather would be

Let's take the road before us
And sing a chorus or two
Come on, it's lovely weather
For a sleigh ride together with you

I'm willing to allow for cultural differences. Just saying, it isn't a word a straight man would typically choose over here, but every rule has its exceptions.