EJ Johnson (Magic Johnson's son) skirted

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

EJ Johnson (Magic Johnson's son) skirted

Post by Kilty »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... g-top.html

It wasn't really a skirt per se, more some silly fringe over a pair of leather shorts which looked out of place IMHO. I'm sure if he wore a more sensible skirt it would have been better, and tights, not knee-highs and it wouldn't have been
so 'outlandish' :roll:
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: EJ Johnson (Magic Johnson's son) skirted

Post by Gordon »

I see nothing wrong with the outfit. It's a case of a guy wearing what he wants to. More men should be so free.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

not sure i like the comment "outlandish"
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

To some it may be outlandish. To each their own. But people should be able to wear whatever they want.
Namaste,
Gordon
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Not going to knock anyone's right to dress how they like, within the bounds of decency. I have no personal issue with nudity if it comes to it. I do think that there are places where some types of dress are inappropriate. That said, this was not inappropriate for the venue. It's not to my taste, I wouldn't have called it outlandish, I would have said it's a bit "camp" for me. On the other hand, got to give the guy a high five for losing 180 pounds! If I had done something like that I might well have been tempted to dress very revealingly just to show off.

It's good, in one way, to see more guys wearing what the hell they want, especially dresses and skirts, but in another, when it is someone who is such a high profile gay figure, it does tend to reinforce the idea in peoples mind that wearing a skirt is always, something more than the clothing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

LGG wrote:To some it may be outlandish. To each their own. But people should be able to wear whatever they want.
LGG wrote:I see nothing wrong with the outfit. It's a case of a guy wearing what he wants to. More men should be so free.
Exactly.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

partlyscot wrote: when it is someone who is such a high profile gay figure, it does tend to reinforce the idea in peoples mind that wearing a skirt is always, something more than the clothing.
I hope you're not saying that gay people shouldn't be allowed to wear a skirt; especially well known ones.
Namaste,
Gordon
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

LGG wrote:
partlyscot wrote: when it is someone who is such a high profile gay figure, it does tend to reinforce the idea in peoples mind that wearing a skirt is always, something more than the clothing.
I hope you're not saying that gay people shouldn't be allowed to wear a skirt; especially well known ones.
Not at all. I think it's a bit unfortunate, (from our point of view as skirt wearing men) that some of the gay guys have a bit more nerve than some of us. We need to take a bit of that courage for ourselves, if EJ has enough nerve to go out dressed like that, then a simple cargo skirt should be no problem for the rest of us.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

partlyscot wrote:.... snip ....
We need to take a bit of that courage for ourselves,
if E. J. has enough nerve to go out dressed like that,
then a simple cargo skirt should be no problem for
the rest of us.
AMEN to that :!:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Hemitom wrote:not sure i like the comment "outlandish"
Just quoting the news article, the bits of leather forming the skirt seem a bit pointless, IMHO

I would have just worn a black skater skirt of similar length than the whole shorts, stockings and skirt getup. But each to their own. Interestingly, one of the best singers in UK X Factor is a guy called Seann Miley Moore, who took to the stage in a black leather pencil skirt and see thru top.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/x-fa ... re-6351102

I thought the pencil skirt looked smart, they are ideal for men, especially in denim :wink:
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

partlyscot wrote: On the other hand, got to give the guy a high five for losing 180 pounds!
There's no merit losing weight after a bypass; you have no choice but to reduce your intake -- or be ill.

Martin
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Couya wrote:
partlyscot wrote: On the other hand, got to give the guy a high five for losing 180 pounds!
There's no merit losing weight after a bypass; you have no choice but to reduce your intake -- or be ill.

Martin
Easily said for someone of dainty build who never had a weight problem. The bypass is only a tool to get a person back into condition to improve their health. Getting to the reasons for obesity is another issue. I applaud him for not giving up on life in the face of that problem.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Barefoot Joe

Post by Barefoot Joe »

The bypass is only a tool to get a person back into condition to improve their health.
A bypass does not improve health, on the long run it takes it. If the body loses its ability to control weight, there are causes and those causes need to be adressed to regain health. EJ is not doing that. Instead he's suppressing a symptom of the disease, the body weight. Unfortunately obesity in most cases is not cause by too much food but by the lack of nutrients (vitamins, enzymes, UFA, ...) in our todays highly processed food. This lack leads to metabolic disorders which result in multiple diseases over time, one of it being the loss of body weigth control. The bypass actually intensifies the lack of nutrients by reducing the food intake even more. Sure, the symptomatic weight loss will happen, but you'll pay with an heavily increased risk for many other malnutrition related diseases (e.g. heart attack, stroke, rheumatic diseases, allergies, ...).

Of course - it's not easy to change your nutrition from 95% processed food (USA) to 95% mostly unprocessed, but it's possible. I've done it 16 years ago and lost 60 pounds in about a year. I also lost all my allergies, joints and stomach issues but that's another story.

To get back on topic: As much as I like EJ's outfit for it's nonconformity, I think it's slightly overdone, even for a transgender party outfit. But you can't help saluting her for her courage. :) But otoh, I've never been to those parties, who knows what I would have worn... ;)
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Agreed, Barefoot Joe, to an extent. However the results of the surgery are generally more positive than you have acknowledged.

The issue is not as much the food content as it is the entire lifestyle coupled with the psychology of the individual. There are many places in the world where the primary nutrition is carbohydrate, and diets are both vitamin- and protein-poor, yet obesity is not common. It is primarily a function of caloric intake and depletion through metabolic demand, namely physical labor, though there are also genetics involved to a yet uncalculated extent. There can be obese individuals even in communities with common malnutrition.

My remarks are based on the success rate of independent non-surgical weight loss, which is quite low overall. Bypass surgery is no panacea, but it facilitates weight reduction rapidly and gives the patient the lesser mass to enable them to begin a regime of physical exercise. It is only a tool to give an individual a jump-start in the life-long battle to find and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Discouragement in losing weight inhibits the effort, and meanwhile serious health conditions can develop which doom the individual to a downward health trajectory.

Further, gastric bypass surgery (only bypass, not other weight loss procedures) eliminates Type 2 diabetes in about 85% of patients, which, in itself, is life-saving, not to mention the long term savings to medical costs from not having to medicate or treat the progressive complications of the disease. The surgery excises the portion of the stomach that produces/secretes the hormone that inhibits insulin and causes cell resistance, which is stimulated by food digestion in that region.

The main issue with bypass surgery is that it cannot alter the economic, social, familial, psychological, and emotional issues that foster food dependence/abuse; those factors can only be managed by the individual, with perhaps the help of counseling and support groups. But even with limited long term success, the surgery generally DOES improve quality of life and typically extends a productive life.

I find it sad that many people who have never had a serious issue with morbid obesity shallowly chalk-up the problems of others to some moral failing or deficiency in the individual. Science, fortunately, knows better than judgemental observers. Calories are as addictive to certain people as is tobacco, alcohol, and drugs, and, for some who never self-examine, anger and righteousness; the latter pair often fueled by political and religious media "organizations" who profit from those addictions just like alcohol, tobacco, narcotics, and junk-food purveyors do from their own pools of addicts. I often see people who need the constant reinforcement of radio preaching or "outrage" talk shows to feed their proverbial monkeys. Addiction is part of human nature and biology we have known for all of history. It's sad that we are still so bad at dealing with it.

As for EJ Johnson, I can only imagine the psychological pressures that he experienced, feeling as he did, and growing under the shadow of his talented and successful father. I am happy that he now has a tool to make some progress in both his physical and emotional health and I wish him much success. I hope that he will find a productive focus for his life as his father did in the face of his own HIV challenge.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...