Designer Shayne Oliver - Future of Fashion Is Gender-Free

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Designer Shayne Oliver - Future of Fashion Is Gender-Free

Post by Jim2 »

From http://mic.com/articles/125044/designer ... -285444765
"My friends wear bras — and they're men. Men's wear is not glamorous, and women's wear is, so why not mix the two together? When men wear my clothes, they say, 'I can rock a dress and still feel handsome.' Once you get that vibe going, the style just falls into place naturally."
Other than the reference to bras, I really like this. I just hope this isn't just a trend that dies off.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Designer Shayne Oliver - Future of Fashion Is Gender-Fre

Post by dillon »

It's progress of a sort. My question is this: Will agender fashion make stuff I like? I'd be fine with a made-for-men version of a number of women's styles.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
KasparHauser

Post by KasparHauser »

"When men wear my clothes, they say, 'I can rock a dress and still feel handsome.' Once you get that vibe going, the style just falls into place naturally."
I like this attitude. Good to see it continuing to spread.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Jim2 wrote:
"My friends wear bras ..."
Other than the reference to bras, I really like this. I just hope this isn't just a trend that dies off.
If a person has enlarged breasts, male or female, a bra would be beneficial to that person. I see no point in A cup bras, and in particular, AA cup bras. Some Asian women are relatively flat chested and should not feel compelled to wear bras. On the other hand, I as a man, benefit from wearing D or DD cup bras. And I must add I purchase only plain, functional underwear.

John
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

JohnH wrote:
Jim2 wrote:
If a person has enlarged breasts, male or female, a bra would be beneficial to that person. I see no point in A cup bras, and in particular, AA cup bras. Some Asian women are relatively flat chested and should not feel compelled to wear bras. On the other hand, I as a man, benefit from wearing D or DD cup bras. And I must add I purchase only plain, functional underwear.

John
Sorry. You make a good point.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

dillon wrote:It's progress of a sort. My question is this: Will agender fashion make stuff I like? I'd be fine with a made-for-men version of a number of women's styles.
What I meant to say is that outcome is more important than concept. I'm all for agender fashion if it doesn't result in frumpy trousered suits that look the same on women and men without ultimately challenging gender fashion boundaries. I don't require sameness between men and women; we are not the same. My great, perhaps unrealistic, hope is merely to see men's fashion even distantly approach the range of choices, shapes, textures, colors, and cuts that are available to women. If agender fashion offers that spectrum, I'll applaud it. Not to be pessimistic, but my expectation is that it may initially result in an effective contraction of the spectrum. But boldness in design is welcome if it enhances men's choices.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Frumpy trousered suit that look this same on men and women? Isn't that what they wear in China? No thanks!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

JohnH wrote:
Jim2 wrote:

John
I'm reserving judgement on A's. I lost 65 pounds and went from C to B and am working on losing 60 more pounds. If I lose proportionally and get to an A it will depend on....extraneous movement and accompanying rubbing against the shirt. The doc thinks I'll just lose chest circumference and stay more or less a B. Since I'm a "form and function" person I'll not use one if I don't need one.

Skirts, on the other hand, are wonderful, light, cool, comfortable. 8) I've been wearing my Stillwater casual kilts a lot lately in the high 80's and low-to-mid 90's (F.) and been hot and sweaty in my polo shirt or University t-shirt...and only slightly so around the waistband of the kilt. Below that was cool and comfortable.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Darryl wrote:
Jim2 wrote:
I'm reserving judgement on A's. I lost 65 pounds and went from C to B and am working on losing 60 more pounds. If I lose proportionally and get to an A it will depend on....extraneous movement and accompanying rubbing against the shirt. The doc thinks I'll just lose chest circumference and stay more or less a B. Since I'm a "form and function" person I'll not use one if I don't need one.
I don´t have any issues of the pain of rubbing against shirts. Rather, when I walk more than a few steps, or ride or drive a vehicle the jouncing of the breasts is quite painful without a bra. I did not start wearing bras until I got to B size.

On the other hand, as you lose weight, you might go down a band size and increase the designated cup size. For example, if you were at 40 B, then you would become 38 C assuming your breast size remains the same. This is known as ¨sister sizing¨.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Perhaps if we go to non-gender specific styling additional measurements could be added. For tops there would be neck, bust, and underbust measurements. In the case for most men the bust and underbust would be the same size. For a dress there would also be waist, hips, and length.

For bottoms (skirts and trousers) there would be waist and length (same as for men´s current trousers) and also hip measurements.

There would be a lot of measurements involved here so clothes might be made custom for each person using CNC for cutting the fabric and sewing the garment rather than to stock lots of garments. Another advantage is each person could get the garment (s)he desired without having to see if a certain garment was available. Each customer would have his/her set of measurements to be used whenever (s)he wants to buy a garment.

John
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

JohnH wrote:Perhaps if we go to non-gender specific styling additional measurements could be added. For tops there would be neck, bust, and underbust measurements. In the case for most men the bust and underbust would be the same size. For a dress there would also be waist, hips, and length.

John
That custom dress site I linked to in another thread has all those measurements in their custom sections. I haven't ordered from there yet because I had to hold off till I had some extra cash, now the styles that I thought would work are finished, have to wait till another suitable one comes along.