1/3 of men in Britain want to be able to wear skirts to work

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
KasparHauser

1/3 of men in Britain want to be able to wear skirts to work

Post by KasparHauser »

The research is by Barefoot Wines but I haven't found additional information beyond the brief mention: http://m.reveal.co.uk/real-life-stories ... -work.html
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 1/3 of men in Britain want to be able to wear skirts to

Post by Kilty »

Interesting that this women's magazine picked up on this. Nothing to stop men wearing a skirt to work, providing it is smart enough. A knee-length pencil skirt would suffice for most men.

This blogger has the right idea
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-922iDLLCN6w/U ... 00/Jp2.jpg

just inform your personnel department first. In customer facing roles, wear something sensible like dark tights with a decent length skirt. Denim ones are fine for dress down days.

Twitter search for "man skirt" brings up loads of tweets every day, so it is more common than we think :)
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

How is this guy in the pencil skirt going to sit, walk the stairs, cross the street within the 10 seconds of green pedestrian traffic lights and jump on the bicycle back home?
Not a good idea!

Jan.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

janrok wrote:How is this guy in the pencil skirt going to sit, walk the stairs, cross the street within the 10 seconds of green pedestrian traffic lights and jump on the bicycle back home?
You'll find that most pencil skirts have walking vents in the back to allow such motion; if they didn't, they'd be more properly referred to as "hobble skirts" (which are their own sub-genre).

I don't own a pencil skirt, but have studied the designs, and they don't really look all that constricting. I just happen to prefer the volume of an A-line or tiered/bohemian style.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

janrok wrote:How is this guy in the pencil skirt going to sit, walk the stairs, cross the street within the 10 seconds of green pedestrian traffic lights and jump on the bicycle back home?
Not a good idea!

Jan.
actually the same way as women, isn't it?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have two pencil skirts. One is a pinstripe with rear slit. The other is a stretch solid black. No problem walking or sitting in either.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Dammit! Today I arranged to have Thursday off, so that I can strim my grass, which I do wearing a skirt. I used to use a long denim "Jesus" skirt because I don't really like it and use it for tasks I wouldn't put a liked skirt on for. However, a Macabi is ideal as the cuttings just fall off it.

A day of skirted action at work sounds like a great idea, but realistically, with my employer, I doubt I would risk it even if I was working.

Oh and back to skirted strimming, it isn't dangerous, the strimmer I have is a petrol powered, balanced strimmer which is used suspended from a harness, the harness doesn't allow the strimmer to come close. The strimming head is a good distance away from any material and a skirt is ideal protection because it stops flying objects at a distance from my legs, with jeans because they are in contact with the legs flying objects still hurt.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: You'll find that most pencil skirts have walking vents in the back to allow such motion; if they didn't, they'd be more properly referred to as "hobble skirts" (which are their own sub-genre).
My grandmotherused to tell a story about hobble skirts, I have posted it in the "Off Topic" section. http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 41&t=17859
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Not a good idea!

Jan.
There's nothing difficult when it comes to wearing pencil skirts, really! As mentioned, the vent in the back helps when you walk, in colder weather they are the warmest, they look presentable on a guy compared to other perhaps more feminine styles (especially in denim), denim pencil skirts have that bit of stretch, I have had no problems riding my bike whilst wearing one (even if I hitch up my skirt a little, dark underwear preserves modesty). Not all pencil skirts have to be as tight as Kim Kardashian's, I like mine a little bit snug so it clings to my hips, but not so much it's irritating or impractical to move or answer the call of nature. My line of work, sadly requires trousers, but if I was more office based then definitely I would wear one to work. Kilts are good as well, but for the price of one kilt, you can have several decent pencil skirts :mrgreen:

If designers can make the man skirt a feasible reality, then I can see a lot of midi pencil skirts for guys on the market. Still, one survey in a magazine more suited to the table in doctors waiting rooms doesn't mean guys would defy convention and wear a skirt to work. Zara in the UK are trying so hard to make a decent man skirt, but really all that is needed is to buy one in the women's section for half the price, and isn't attached to a pair of trousers :lol:
Last edited by Kilty on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Simple fact, this is what I do, day in, day out!
Pencil skirts are kept for my choice or windy days. The vents help, but it's perfectly easy to adjust one's stride. Sitting is actually the easiest, they tend to remind you to close the knees. Not an "instinctive" response for most men.
Crossing streets, never found any problem. Stairs, a slight "hitch up", if need be, otherwise, just go slow.
Here's a note, I bought a new skirt on Sunday and wore it at work Monday. The result, no comment, have I arrived?
It's black, but quite different too?
Steve.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

kilty wrote:If designers can make the man skirt a feasible reality, then I can see a lot of midi pencil skirts for guys on the market.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about a midi pencil skirt. Personally, I think that is where the idea that mid-calf length skirts are dowdy comes from. On the other hand, I do like my mid-calf length A-line skirts.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

STEVIE wrote:Simple fact, this is what I do, day in, day out!
Pencil skirts are kept for my choice or windy days. The vents help, but it's perfectly easy to adjust one's stride. Sitting is actually the easiest, they tend to remind you to close the knees. Not an "instinctive" response for most men.
Crossing streets, never found any problem. Stairs, a slight "hitch up", if need be, otherwise, just go slow.
Here's a note, I bought a new skirt on Sunday and wore it at work Monday. The result, no comment, have I arrived?
It's black, but quite different too?
Steve.
You'll have to show us a pic of your new black skirt.

(Pics to follow of some of mine) I just bought a nice black M&S midi stretch pencil in denim, just past the knees at 27", so perfect for autumn. As it's "invisible denim" no one will pay me much notice anyway :roll: It is on order from ebay. Most of my skirts are knee length and I just prefer that style. I only have one A-line chino. A few kilts but with windy weather and managing the pleats a bit more time consuming. :)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
kilty wrote:If designers can make the man skirt a feasible reality, then I can see a lot of midi pencil skirts for guys on the market.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about a midi pencil skirt. Personally, I think that is where the idea that mid-calf length skirts are dowdy comes from. On the other hand, I do like my mid-calf length A-line skirts.
The problem I have with the "blogger' in Kilty's post is that his too-long tunic and fat padded high-top "kicks" make his already short legs disappear. Better footwear and a shorter top coupled with the pencil skirt would make it appear that he has legs, and would have a slimming effect. I'm not sure about true midi pencil skirts either, but think they will work fine if the back or side slits reach the back of the knee, and the fabric has stretch to it. I can see side ruching perhaps providing enough stretch without a slit, if tailored for the purpose. Drawstring ruching would allow the wearer to adjust one side up a bit to facilitate a longer stride.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here's a link to the skirt I bought,http://www.marksandspencer.com/buttonsa ... /p22402455.
It's not a true pencil, plenty room for movement.
The different bit is the wrap front. That get's the attention because it moves in the slightest breeze. no danger, there's a fully sewn seam behind it.
Workwise, I have had it on for three continuous days, that's a maximum, the usual is two. The shape retention is almost perfect. My other skirts get so creased at the back they get more recycling.
Still no comment, that's good, it say's just that, "nothing".
I reckon I have arrived.
One downside, I am now officially, UK size 14, tee hee!
Steve.
I'd love to know how they arrived at the 30%?
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I like that skirt, bit more than I like to spend, but tempting. I would go for the camel colour. I think I would need a UK 16, what's your waist size Stevie?