Dr. Laura and the Book of Leviticus

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Dr. Laura and the Book of Leviticus

Post by dillon »

This is years old, but still worth reprinting since the politicians in preacher's robes are still citing the same inane scriptures to support their bigotry. Just watch Mike Huckabee on the campaign trail if you don't think so. Enjoy!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/03/2 ... ilclassic#
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dr. Laura and the Book of Leviticus

Post by Gordon »

More info on the Dr Laura letter here; http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:This is years old, but still worth reprinting since the politicians in preacher's robes are still citing the same inane scriptures to support their bigotry. Just watch Mike Huckabee on the campaign trail if you don't think so. Enjoy!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/03/2 ... ilclassic#
Oh my god (no pun intended) thank you for sharing.... when I get home I plan to print this out and carry it with me always!

It always irked me when religious zealots shove their views down everyone's throat.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I came across this letter to Dr Laura in June 2011 via another web site and put it on my introduction page of the Religious section of my web site http://www.theskirtedman.eu/index.php/m ... ts-for-men as I too found it very interesting. The Religious section of my site was created very early in 2011 when I started my site about men in skirts as in 2010 when I was researching about men in skirts in modern society I came across many, mainly those practicing Christianity and mostly women in trousers, who would quote the bible and Deuteronomy 22-5 that men cannot wear womens clothes. I posted replies to many blogs, most were turned down even though my posts were honest and decent. This section of my web site consisting of 5 long pages does not hold back on my views of these religious commentators and points out several Bible hypocrisy and what the Bible actually says about womens roles if the Bible is to used towards men like us! There is even a detailed context of Deuteronomy 22-5 which I found on an online Bible site which makes interesting reading for those who say Deuteronomy 22-5 applies to men only. I thought this 'letter' was highly amusing.

I do not hear much about Deuteronomy 22-5 these days but I doubt it is down to my site!

I will now add the link that LGG provided to this section as it does give more background information as to how it came into being.

Many thanks. Four years on and I still enjoy reading it!
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

A fun read. According to the author of "Ain't Nobody's Business if you do", (assuming I've remembered correctly after a couple years) the prohibition against homosexuality shows up in a section of rules to be followed by a group of ragtags wandering in the desert - a section that seems to expire on finding a proper homeland. If that wasn't enough, it seems that the coming of Jesus marked a new covenant that negates the covenant of the Old Testament. While I can't speak from my own reading of the Bible, this certainly doesn't surprise me.

The book, by the way, is well worth a read.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well this is the way I look at it....

Argument number 1) I don't claim to know the will of God, but my logic suggest that if God wanted men to wear trousers and women to wear skirts, we would have come out of the womb clad accordingly. Id venture a guess that the most "Godly" way to go about is to by naked "as they day you were born".

Argument number 2) I don't follow any of those Abrahamic religions, so none of those rules really apply to me personally. If I'm wrong and am going to hell for wearing a skirt, then I guess I'll meet the devil with a skirt on!

Argument number 3) NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY wears clothing like what was worn during the time of Moses! (at least in the western fashion) That applies to modern day men and women. Back then BOTH sexes wore what appeared to be tunics and robes. So we can conclude that since modern day clothing simply didn't exist in those days, then how can we take a rule dated from so long ago and apply it to modern day fashion trends? In the last 2000-4000 years, what authority decided that men will wear jeans and dress pants, and women will wear short shirts, blouses, and tight fitting jeans? NOTE: I DID NOT mention dresses and skirts because in modern western society, dresses and skirts are worn by a small minority of even women! Were these fashion designers of the modern era (the ones who decided guys should wear leather jackets and ride on Harley's, and girls should wear puppy dog school girl skirts) somehow specifically authorized by God almighty to declare that "this is for a man and this is for a woman". Are these modern day fashion designers prophets of God?

Hardly...

It all goes back to my favorite maxim... "Most religions exist simply to lay out social rules and control the masses". Personally, I'm of the opinion that man kinds constant exploitation of our natural resources, worship of money, and hatred of one another for silly reasons such as sex, race, sexual orientation, etc is a much more blatant disregard and maybe even outright "blasphemy" of the will of God than anything I've ever read in the bible. Personally, if there is a God almighty, I'm sure what ever it is, must be pretty embarrassed by the whole human race.

Live and let live.. do what you will provided it brings no harm...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

If God wanted us to be nudists, we would've been born naked.

Religion ought to be about self-fulfillment and salvation, and not about control.

Leviticus -- and the Bible in general -- is full of contradictions and passages now ignored. The great themes of the Bible are faith, hope, and love of God and neighbor, and not about what we wear.

And anyway, no one in the Bible ever wore trousers
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Caultron wrote:If God wanted us to be nudists, we would've been born naked.

Religion ought to be about self-fulfillment and salvation, and not about control.

Leviticus -- and the Bible in general -- is full of contradictions and passages now ignored. The great themes of the Bible are faith, hope, and love of God and neighbor, and not about what we wear.

And anyway, no one in the Bible ever wore trousers
That is good enough for me. I usually wear a casual kilt when leading worship music in church. It is what is in your heart, not what is worn outside, that counts.
Colin.