Hootenanny Pub, Inverness

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Hootenanny Pub, Inverness

Post by Kirbstone »

I saw a rather sad article in today's Daily Telegraph entitled: Staff refuse to wear kilts because of sexual harassment'. It appears that groups of revelling girls have lifted the kilts of staff at that pub once too often, with the result that the staff now insist on wearing trousers, to avoid the problem

A comment from the Scottish government affirms the right of all people in their workplace to be allowed work without harassment.

i'm afraid I don't know how to post the link.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hootenanny Pub, Inverness

Post by Gordon »

-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well that does point up how asymmetric the "balance of power" is today. The gals have free reign and the blokes get the shaft. Welcome to the bl**dy 21st Century.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The owner does make the point that if he put his hand up a woman's skirt, he'd get arrested. But has he ever thrown a hen party out for lifting up a barman's kilt? If he did, he might get more publicity and his (no doubt profitable) barmen's kilts back again. Maybe a warning notice to the women here and there would be a good idea too.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Traditions are one thing, but if you're in that job and don't want a phone pic of your junk floating around the web, wear underwear.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The guys most probably had on underwear.
I also wonder about the idea of a warning notice, has anyone ever seen anything similar relating to waitresses' skirts?
I rather suspect not, that goes without saying, yet a guy working in a kilt is "fair game".
As a guy would probably be charged with indecent assault for that very action, let the "ladies" achieve proper equality and bear the consequences.
Steve.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I think in their situation, I might have worn something extremely spectacular in the underwear department, then face them down if they made a fuss about it. "Is there anything illegal about neon pink lace? And what the hell were you doing sneaking a peek?" "Lets see what you've got on then" "No? Then do you want to be arrested or are you just going to leave?"

I say might, don't know if I'd have the nerve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

In case of an errant move I have on occasion worn (nothing is worn everything is in fine working order) a lacy application of square dance panties.
File Photo:
MISC UNSORT PIX 057A.jpg
Something to knock the sox of someone who has ulterior motives !
So what did you see and how did you come to see what you did ? LOL !
Goes well with my SportKilt mini-kilt USA tartan worn the 4th of July:
File Photo:
DSC04153 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Is that a panty or a piñata? :lol: It looks like something children would be whacking with a broom handle at a birthday party. Hopefully no one does when you're wearing it...
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

dillon wrote:Is that a panty or a piñata? :lol: It looks like something children would be whacking with a broom handle at a birthday party. Hopefully no one does when you're wearing it...
OUCH! :shock:

Could have done without that image thank you!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

As has been outlined in the posting conditions on this Forum, I believe items of underwear are not to be discussed.

I can't help thinking that the proprietors of that pub in Inverness should have the power to eject misbehaving females and make an example of them, so the tradition of kilt-wearing male staff can continue without problems.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Well, Tom, there is a bit of a however in there. My recollection is that it reads something like "except as it relates to the function of the outer garment." Borderline to be sure, but in the context of kilts being lifted, I believe whatever is worn underneath becomes "outer" wear. Then again the mods might have a different opinion.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Tor wrote:Then again the mods might have a different opinion.
We may, but so far none of us has felt the need to stomp on it, so...

However, I do think that we are at the limit of acceptability for the discussion of underwear so I guess now is a good time to ask folks to stop...

Have fun (but please remember that the rules are there for a reason),

Ian (Now removing mod hat).
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Certainly didn't mean to offend or tread on your sensitivities, Tom. But I would have to contend the discussion was fully related to the topic. Forgive me for poking a bit of good-natured fun with the matter.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

As a Scot living in Scotland who has worn the kilt since childhood, I too have experienced this problem. However, when wearing skirts in public this doesn't seem to happen.
MOH suggests that pubs where staff wear kilts (and there are many in scotland) should add to their menus "We have instructed our staff to refrain from putting their hands up customers' skirts/kilts in order to establish what they are wearing underneath. If you wish to remain here we respectfully request that you do so too."