Hootenanny Pub, Inverness

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hootenanny Pub, Inverness

Post by skirtingtoday »

I have not had any problems with hands up the kilt or kilt-lifting but a number of years ago when I was wearing my kilt for the office's Xmas lunch, one of the secretaries came up to me and asked in front of the whole office, "Are you wearing anything under that?"

I just gave her a withering look and said, "If I had asked you that question, I would be charged with sexual hassassment in the work-place!" I then turned my back on her and sat down at my desk, leaving her feeling really guilty (I hope).

Probably what I should have said was, "Good girls don't ask. Bad girls find out! So you must be one of the bad girls!"
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I find the best response is raise an eyebrow, look at the questioner with a smile and a sideways glance, and say, "Hmmm..."

Or you can try to brush it off with something vague, like, "Sometimes," or "That depends..."

For a while I'd challenge, "I'll tell if you will," after which they'd usually drop the question. But about 20% of the time they'd tell and then I'd have to. Even then, though, I'd answer sideways, such as, "Probably what your thinking," or, "Let's just say I get excellent ventilation."

Or you can just be honest and straightforward, and say, "No, why do you ask?" (Or "Yes..." As the case may be.)

I mean, aren't you curious why they'd ask? Or what they'd do with that information once they get it?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Caultron wrote:...I mean, aren't you curious why they'd ask? Or what they'd do with that information once they get it?
I wonder indeed! - surely not to embarrass me on facebook or the like.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have asked, "Why the question?"
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels