David Hall on Phil Donahue show in 1982

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: David Hall on Phil Donahue show in 1982

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:22 pmA funny bit of irony that struck me was when that one women looked at David square in the face and said "I wouldn't hire you"...
The quick and easy response to that would have been for him to say, "That's fine because I wouldn't work for you." Really, sometimes these things are quite simple. If she is so shallow that she'd let something that trivial stand in the way, the work environment where she works must be pretty stifling, thus making it unfit for creative types.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Re: Skirt/dress-wearing vs. Masculinity

Post by Uncle Al »

After watching the clips of David Hall & William Campbell on "The Donahue Show"
I searched for David Hall's clothing line for men, found nothing, and came up with this....

Quite interesting and informative :arrow: Skirts for Men? A Short History.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:22 pm
Rokje wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:29 am I've seen the whole video, and I'm not at all surprised at the answers that were given in the audience. Today it wouldn't be much different I guess.
There are probably a few more women these days that'd date a guy in a skirt then there were back in '82, but it would still present some challenges.

A funny bit of irony that struck me was when that one women looked at David square in the face and said "I wouldn't hire you"...

Funny... my understanding is back in those days it was very uncommon for a woman to be in a position of "hiring" someone to begin with thanks in no small part to unfair gender roles.

I suppose if David wanted to be real catty he could have replied "you couldn't hire me anyway thanks to the patriarchal system you're supporting!"

I do think things have improved in the last 40 years. We're not quite where we need to be today, but progress has been made, I don't see how anyone could deny that.
Of course there is progress, but I still don't see any men wearing skirts. Therefore progress is small, and men need to be supported who, like the women in the 50's & 60's, had the guts to put on pants.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

The woman who said "I wouldn't hire you" left a comment that she has changed her view since the program aired.

Wow! Technology is crazy! I am the young girl at about 13:40. I was telling my friend that I appeared on Phil Donahue in the early 80's and he pulled this video up! I haven't seen it in decades. I am no longer young (61 now) or close-minded and would absolutely embrace and unconditionally love my children, no matter what they chose the wear. Thank-you to your father and those courageous groundbreakers who have helped us evolve into better, more enlightened beings on Planet Earth!

Phil Donahue asked the ladies challenging questions about why they didn't approve of men in skirts and they didn't have coherent replies. The general theme seemed to be that they felt a man in a skirt threatens their femininity, like they don't want the additional competition, like skirts are equivalent to femininity in any way.

This show was way ahead of its time. Too bad we haven't achieved more acceptance in nearly 40 years.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Part 2 of the show is here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmBfv2nLAQk

In this video, Phil wears a skirt. It was great that someone with his media influence could take this bold step and challenge the ladies.