Skirt-wearing men in Turkish protest against murder of woman

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt-wearing men in Turkish protest against murder of woman

Post by pleated »

Following the murder of a woman who resisted rape there has been a protest by skirt-wearing men-
http://www.thejournal.ie/turkish-men-mi ... 8-Feb2015/
'GROUPS OF TURKISH men have donned miniskirts after the death of a young woman following an alleged attempted rape.
Ozgecan Aslan (20) was reported to have been killed after resisting attempts to rape her.'
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt-wearing men in Turkish protest against murder of w

Post by skirtyscot »

The trouble with protests such as this, from our POV, is that the men wear skirts because they are women's clothing. We want skirts to be men's clothing.

That said, each time people see men in skirts, the more the sight gets normalised, so it's not all bad.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

It seems to be a growing movement.
There were similar protests for similar reasons on the part of schoolboys in France and men in India last year.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

This found its way into the US media as well: an MSNBC story.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I concur with Alastair, but the fact that those guys were rockin' their skirted looks doesn't hurt us any.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

The interesting thing about this Turkish phenomenon is that men are dressing like women as a statement that women deserve equal treatment and protection to men. It's unisex meaning not only equality in dress, but everything.

It's also quite a statement against the bizarre idea that miniskirts force men to rape the wearers.

I don't imagine this trend will continue on very long but it sure would be cool if it did.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I see that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is toeing the Neanderthal line and mocking the demonstrators. To quote:
"Unfortunately, they are wearing skirts and think that they manage to hide themselves," said Erdogan. "Be honest, be honest. They are terrorists and using every means possible."
Hmmm, just don't see it myself, how you can compare a peaceful demonstration with violent protest? Not posting a link - just goggle it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

So, for men, a skirt is a form of disguise?

Funny, I tend to observe the opposite.

Or does Mr. President here just think no one would suspect a guy in a skirt of being a terrorist? Because it seems to draw extra security in airports for me.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Aye, Dennis. Erdogan is closer to a terrorist himself in his pandering to the Islamists. Turkey is begging for a coup. But I am a solid advocate for secular government everywhere.

As for the statement of men wearing miniskirts, it could be argued that the gesture was as much derogatory as it was supportive. It seemed to make skirts a symbol of weakness and helplessness. The wearing of skirts, heels, etc. is a well intentioned stunt to get attention, but it also has a possible negative side in proliferating the association of clothing with the physical vulnerability of women to the strength of men. For us, that isn't helpful, and it may not be helpful to women as victims of sexual predation, if it propagates an image of "the doll" and implies that women, like fashion, are silly and indulgent.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Saw this from a Polish website (via Facebook) about a supporter of the Turkish Protest.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

While I fully agree that rape and harrassment should be more severely punished, I also feel that these skirted men will draw more mockery than sympathy for the cause they are defending. Many men will be quite happy to respond to the words (from memory) "If a skirt is an invitation to rape, then rape me!" It needs a certain degree of intelligence to understand the irony.

Martin