Selfridges Gender Neutral Department

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Selfridges Gender Neutral Department

Post by MrUtopia »

Three cheers for Selfridges.

And lets hope many more stores follow their lead.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/richar ... 2z248.html

Peter
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Selfridges Gender Neutral Department

Post by denimini »

Yes, that will feel nicer than going from ladies wear to the male or neutral changing rooms.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

This could be positive - or negative - or neutral.

The notion of "gender neutral" usually means limiting clothing options as much as extending them. This has happened wo a large extent with childrenswear, where the notion of "unisex" mostly means clothes for girls that are less pretty and more rugged (but they can still by the pretty stuff elsewhere if they want it) - meanwhile, a few sops are given to boys in that they have the same old stuff but in brighter colours.

There is another issue with adults' clothes and that is the body-shape and sizing issue. The only way clothes would qualify as genuinely gender neutral is if they offer a good fit to both males and females. Soft items like sportswear and maybe some sweaters, and maybe a few really loose-fitting garments would work, but smart clothes, especially tailored items, often won't.

Lastly, there is the cultural inertia issue and that is by far the greatest issue. They can label clothing "gender neutral" or "unisex" as much as they like, but designers and retailers are well aware that certain garments will be worn exclusively by one sex regardless of any labeling.

Stu
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Stu wrote:This could be positive - or negative - or neutral.

The notion of "gender neutral" usually means limiting clothing options as much as extending them.
The author, Richard, at least, is clear he's talking about unbifurcated choices for men when he refers to a tartan smock and wanting to look like a Balinese princess.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Jim wrote:The author, Richard, at least, is clear he's talking about unbifurcated choices for men when he refers to a tartan smock and wanting to look like a Balinese princess.
Absolutely right, Jim. I took the article as being firmly tongue-in-cheek, though. I'm not sure he was seriously calling for Selfridges to offer tartan smocks as gender neutral, let alone the attire of Balinese princesses (I'm not entirely sure what they wear). I don't believe Selfridges have any interest in marketing unbifurcated garments to men and boys: they will be strictly reserved for females just as they are now. So here's a simple challenge to Selfridges. If you are serious about items being gender neutral, market this simple black faux-leather skirt to men as well as women:

http://www.selfridges.com/en/french-con ... bute=Black

There is nothing inherently feminine about this garment - apart from it being a skirt. So show it in male as well as female sizes. Show it being worn by male as well as female models.

Do you think they'll do that? I doubt it, Jim. My suspicion is that, with this move from Selfridges, we'll just be seeing more of the same. I hope I'm wrong.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote:
Do you think they'll do that? I doubt it, Jim. My suspicion is that, with this move from Selfridges, we'll just be seeing more of the same. I hope I'm wrong.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The dumbing down of women's everyday wear is noticeable in the extreme. I see plenty of women going through my checkout and the majority are in the same colours as the men - black, blue and brown, jeans and trousers. It's almost become a sort of uniform to be worn by the proletarian masses. For me it makes a skirt, worn by either sex, rather stand out and make the wearer look rather smart. Colour is rather lacking. Saw a bloke in a pink jumper the other day and another in a bright yellow jumper. I talked to them, complimented them but didn't need to encourage them as, like me, they said that they enjoyed wearing bright colours. There are more sartorial rebels out there, folks!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote:
There is another issue with adults' clothes and that is the body-shape and sizing issue. The only way clothes would qualify as genuinely gender neutral is if they offer a good fit to both males and females. Soft items like sportswear and maybe some sweaters, and maybe a few really loose-fitting garments would work, but smart clothes, especially tailored items, often won't.

Stu
Perhaps very loose, robe like garments. What I call a poncho style caftan could work. Perhaps something like the "space rug" that was once described. Perhaps also sarongs?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I think it's really a personal preference as to color. Personally, I'm not a bold color fan; not for men or women. My fashion choices are more about shape, texture, and the feel of a garment on my body. I lean toward subtle natural hues and soft rich textures. Nothing wrong with garish brights, if that turns your crank, but don't belittle the rest of us for less rainbowish tastes. Flamboyance is not a requirement for pushing against fashion boundaries. I don't choose soft tones because they are traditional male colors, but because they are MY colors.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

dlln, that's fine and I wouldn't condemn you for your choices but when you see person after person after person after .... then the similarity to a flock or two of sheep becomes more than coincidental. Thus the splash of colour in a garment is more than welcome to the eyes after a never-ending parade of denim blue or black. Even pastel shades make a change.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.