The Skirt of "Pharaoh"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Departed Member

The Skirt of "Pharaoh"

Post by Departed Member »

Aussie actor Joel Edgerton who plays the role of Pharaoh in "Exodus: Gods and Kings" says it's "liberating" to wear a skirt as a man and describes how he went and bought one from the women's dept. at All Saints to get the feel of moving in one and wore to his fight rehearsals. Great advocacy here!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/ ... 02141.html
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Skirt of "Pharaoh"

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Nice article, and thanks, but a little disappointing (to me at least) that it didn't show the skirt (either the one he bought or the one he wears in the movie) in the photo...not on my computer anyway. Thanks for the article though!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

"I'm very much a peacock in this movie!"

I'd say so. Check this out, I believe Joel is the one in gold and white.
http://www.ramascreen.com/look-at-joel- ... ew-images/
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks partlyscot. I should have thanked you earlier but I haven't been back to this thread. I did see the movie! Wonderful costumes! (And good acting too, imo.) One thing I wonder about though, I thought Egyptian skirts had that draped look in front. Maybe they were different at different times...
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

He was also on the Conan O'Brian show and said the same things. What was extra though was that Conan said he had once also worn a skirt and loved how it felt (that's not his exact words but a paraphrase - I don't remember his exact words). I found it a while back on youtube. Presumably, it is still there.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Mugs-n-such wrote:Thanks partlyscot. I should have thanked you earlier but I haven't been back to this thread. I did see the movie! Wonderful costumes! (And good acting too, imo.) One thing I wonder about though, I thought Egyptian skirts had that draped look in front. Maybe they were different at different times...
You're welcome. I don't know enough about Ancient Egypt to comment on the style. Good timing on your response and bumping the thread, I now have an idea for Halloween....