TV presenter & year-old suit

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

TV presenter & year-old suit

Post by Charlie »

I heard this briefly on Radio 4's 'What the Papers Say' yesterday morning.

It seems that an Australian TV presenter wore the same cheap suit for a year and no-one noticed :shock: . He did it to highlight that women get judged more severely than men on what they wear.

I can well believe it; most studio-based TV shows seem to have the men alway in suits, but not always with ties, while the women wear what they like. IMHO this the easy way out and shows a lack of imagination on the part of the TV companies.

charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Re: TV presenter & year-old suit

Post by Taj »

Besides that it emphasises just how much men are lock-stepped into wearing the same boring things all of their lives.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Wearing the same clothes everyday, everywhere may be dull, but it saves a lot of bother. Women think ,or have been taught to think, they have to look different each day. Not easy on a limited budget. It is bad enough deciding which skirt to wear each morning; if I had to work out which top, leg wear, footwear, hat ... to wear, I would have to get up an hour earlier!
Martin
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

I've gotten more than a few sideways looks from my wife, "That doesn't go together, better change it." I'm getting better at guessing, but can't out-think the color expert.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Taj wrote:I've gotten more than a few sideways looks from my wife, "That doesn't go together, better change it." I'm getting better at guessing, but can't out-think the color expert.
This is down to the fact that guys have only had boring colours that all go together for decades -- so we stop thinking about colour and, as the saying goes, "Use it or lose it."

Colour theory is not all that hard to learn, and there are times when "breaking the rules" can be done to spectacular effect. Decent advice is available to the gals, and they get it hammered into them by their mothers anyway, so there's no reason we should not examine that advice and cherry-pick the best of it for ourselves.

Note: This advice is not for those who suffer from colour-blindness or those who, for whatever reason, cannot discern shade and tone.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!