Another boy who wears dresses

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Another boy who wears dresses

Post by skirtyscot »

He's only two, so really it shouldn't be a big deal. Children don't understand gender roles at that age. A point nobody seems to have made, strangely. He's probably just copying his big sister.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-mena ... 78709.html
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Another boy who wears dresses

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:He's only two, so really it shouldn't be a big deal. Children don't understand gender roles at that age. A point nobody seems to have made, strangely. He's probably just copying his big sister.
I think the reason that nobody brings it up is because it immediately either steals the shock and thunder of the "sexual alignment" argument or removes the humour value of the notion of a boy in a dress.

Perhaps these kids will grow up to be enlightened individuals; perhaps not. The Schools tend to do a very, very, good job at quashing any sort of individual thought or creativity -- in much the same way that those traits are destroyed in military "Basic Training", and if the Schools don't then their peers likely will. Some of us manage to shake off the damage done to our psyches in adulthood, and can once again look at the world around us and contemplate things without the baggage we were so indoctrinated into carrying with us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

When his daughter asked him to wear a dress he should have just explained that her mummy was a smaller size than him and nothing would fit but that he would wear a skirt - a most satisfactory compromise.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I can't help but see some parallel with our situation as adults. If it is obvious to onlookers that the little tyke simply liked the look and feel of a dress without any sexual implications, why can't we be seen in a similar light? What is it about adulthood that makes us sexually perverse in the eyes of some for also following a fancy for our clothing style?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:What is it about adulthood that makes us sexually perverse in the eyes of some for also following a fancy for our clothing style?
It's because we're supposed to "be old enough to know better". It's utter hogwash, of course, but that's a mantra one does tend to hear time and time again -- very frequently when we see somebody doing something that we think is stupid or counterproductive.

Quite honestly, the urge to "be unique" and to "be ourselves" gets beaten out of most of us (whether it be emotionally, physically, or societally) quite early on in life -- and that's a serious problem, because we are not all alike, and the sooner we, as society, understand that the better. That's not a shot at the community here, we seem to grasp the point rather handily, but we're a tiny minority (might as well be honest, on all of those counts) that the mass around us likely do not hear (or sometimes see) us. This does not diminish the power of our message; however the amount of signal we can generate in the world of noise is vanishingly small. This is why I tend to put it as, "Every man for himself!" Send the strongest signal you can muster in the hope that it may penetrate the noise around one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

crfriend wrote:It's because we're supposed to "be old enough to know better". It's utter hogwash, of course, but that's a mantra one does tend to hear time and time again -- very frequently when we see somebody doing something that we think is stupid or counterproductive.
I'm waiting for someone to tell me I should know better at my age ... then I'll reply that I do know better, that's why I'm wearing a skirt :mrgreen:
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:When his daughter asked him to wear a dress he should have just explained that her mummy was a smaller size than him and nothing would fit but that he would wear a skirt - a most satisfactory compromise.

And if he had done that, do you think he would have taken his trousers off?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Perhaps now that the ice has been broken, next time he will remove the trousers.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...