Some good press in Australia

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Some good press in Australia

Post by MrUtopia »

crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Some good press in Australia

Post by crfriend »

To quote the tag-line from the article:
“But I’m also quite old-fashioned … unless it’s part of your heritage or religion, leave this one to the ladies. [It’s] another fad that has come and gone and been on the runways and celebrities many times before.”
Who, or what, is to say what "heritage" -- or much more loosely, "religion" -- is, and what are their credentials for so spouting forth? What is wrong with leaving it to an individual's sense of style (which is quite discrete from "Fashion", by the way) and being done with? If a bloke carries a skirted rig well and looks good in it, then he should have the freedom to do so without some member of the "Fashion Police" hunt him down like a dog. (Or is that "duck"?)

I've been wearing skirts for at least a decade, all years of which have been entirely unapologetic when it comes to my style choice. I don't make the evening news, mainly because if one sees me, he (or she) probably sees a "man on a mission" who's going about his daily life and that's that -- the skirt is entirely incidental, as it should be.

Then again, I'm probably preaching to the choir.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

It is good to know that once in my life I am ahead of the pack here in Melbourne Australia. Like a lot of us I am yet to see a man in a skirt or even a kilt here in Melbourne or I am looking in the wrong places.

John
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I don't wear skirts to follow fashion, I wear skirts because they are comfortable.
Why follow fashion when you can lead it. :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

melsav wrote:Why follow fashion when you can lead it. :)
Indeed.

I carry around a slip of paper I received in a fortune-cookie a while ago that's very much in the same vein: "The best way to predict the future is to create it." That's what I'm quietly working on, on a couple of fronts. It's a grandiose vision, to be sure, but what a vision it is!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Change will actually start with a small number of iconoclasts, who dress to please themselves.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I'm waiting for the women wearing trousers fad to come to an end :twisted:
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

http://www.men-in-skirts.org/skirtsinAus.html

An important point is that Western men lack experience in wearing skirts. One thing they don't know about is the superior physical comfort or an open ended garment.

Another important point is that the options tend to be limited.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Oh dear, just when I thought I had overcome worrying about what people think. If this takes off, people might think I am a fashion follower "flaunting" a "Man-skirt" when I am really just an ordinary guy wearing a skirt for comfort. At least if I wear a mini, floaty or floral skirt, I should be safe from mistaken motives for a while.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The article is hardly "news" -- it dates to 2011. The author also needs to update it because there are now factual errors in it (even though not when it was written).
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: To quote the tag-line from the article:
“But I’m also quite old-fashioned … unless it’s part of your heritage or religion, leave this one to the ladies. [It’s] another fad that has come and gone and been on the runways and celebrities many times before.”
I think if everyone looked back far enough, most of us had skirts as part of our heritage. I suppose some enlightened fashion commentator said "leave this one to the men" when women started wearing pants.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia