All men should wear skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

All men should wear skirts

Post by skirtingtoday »

An article with a series of Q&A's on men wearing skirts - I don't think the interviewer was ever convinced! This was posted a short time before the Metro/Tube ride at the end of May for men wearing skirts.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-skir ... -stockholm
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: All men should wear skirts

Post by RichardA »

Jesper Isaksson: It’s mostly because it’s a fun thing to do
If all men wore skirts there wouldn't be anymore fun in wearing one.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You'd still get to feel the breeze though!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

RichardA wrote:
Jesper Isaksson: It’s mostly because it’s a fun thing to do
If all men wore skirts there wouldn't be anymore fun in wearing one.
I for one would still think it fun - just hope that MOH would eventually come round to that viewpoint and that it isn't a "it gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, as though someone has just died." attitude which is the case at present. :( :(
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I sort of agree with Richard, but wouldn't mind if there were at least a few other skirters around. While it's nice to be part of a cutting edge movement, it isn't always fun being the last Indian standing with the cavalry in front of you...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that if there were a few more male skirt wearers on the streets then a lot of MOH's objections would vanish. I would then probably wear skirts a lot more than trousers. As I am "babysitting" my grandchildren ( in reality there's only one that is too young to be left on his own ) and my youngest son's children are with him skirts are verboten at the moment. As soon as my son's children go back down to Bridgend then my skirting will be back on again. How frustrating it is to have all this warm weather and not being able to wear a skirt. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It would be nice if there were enough men in skirts to make it unremarkable. I suppose that here in Scotland we are at that point on kilts. They are very common at formal occasions, and it is not unusual to see a kilted man at other times. (Almost often seen with full standard rig or with a football or rugby shirt.) It is by no means a daily occurrence but you do not turn heads. When skirted men reach that point, I will be happy. Beyond that, I really don't care if we are 1% or 100% of men.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think in this regard, it'd be good if all men wore a skirt at least once or twice in their lives -- without fear of ridicule or recrimination. I'm not sure if I'd be happy with a large mass of blokes wearing skirts because that'd take some of the fun out of it, but what I'd like to see is society get over the notion that men can only wear trousers, and if a guy does happen to be wearing a skirt there doesn't have to be some sort of subtext to it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

When it catches on, almost all men who wear skirts will choose drab colours and heavy fabrics. You will still be in a small minority, along with a few others in the forum like Zorba. I will go back to being unnoticed most of the time, and I will be happy with that. You will still have the fun of confounding people's expectations. :D
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:When it catches on, almost all men who wear skirts will choose drab colours and heavy fabrics. You will still be in a small minority, along with a few others in the forum like Zorba. I will go back to being unnoticed most of the time, and I will be happy with that. You will still have the fun of confounding people's expectations. :D
That's if it catches on, and I'm not very confident that it will -- I'm hopeful, but not confident.

I concur that likely most guys will go for dull colours and heavy fabrics, but I feel a sense of loss for them because there's really so much more out there that can be experimented with. Playing with colour and print as well as fabric can be a lot of fun, and can be useful for sending quiet non-verbal messages to those around one. Sure, I tend to shy away from very bright floral designs, as I also tend to shy from pastel tones, but that's more down to personal taste than anything else. There is one old floral-print skirt of Sapphire's that I wear from time to time, but that's in a subdued colour-scheme and happens to work splendidly (Unfortunately, it needs some work.). My latest skirts are a plain turquoise one and a black one with painted peacock-feathers on it, both of which are getting active mileage now.

I've also been wearing skirts to work for a few weeks now, and seem to be completely accepted. I don't know how it'll go over with the new buyers from Dallas who acquired the company I work for a couple of months ago, but time will tell. Some of them were on a visit late last month, but I was out of the office on a sailboat and could not attend.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Carl, are you sure you're really an American? Where's your positive outlook on life, your confidence?

Compare British and American politicians at election. Firstly, here you stand for election, there you run. But more important is the difference between our "If we are elected we would ..." And your "When I am elected I will ..."
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

skirtyscot wrote:You'd still get to feel the breeze though!
Strangely enough, this does not appear to appeal to everyone.

Yesterday I met up with a fellow that regularly wears kilts, and is happy to be seen thus in the street (a Frenchman in France !). He was however wearing jeans yesterday and told me he felt no discomfort, even in this warm rather humid weather, with his legs encased in cloth. I said I did not like to be crushed and sweaty at the crotch, but he said he was not bothered about that. I suppose that, like the rest of us, he had been brought up not to question the clothes everyone wore.

I was comfortable in my plain utility kilt, but he would not have worn anything so dull. He liked the look of colorful tartan and good quality wool. He did admit that the side pocket was not a bad idea, but I do not think he will be following my example just to feel the breeze.

Martin
Ps : when I stood up and saw what a mess the cotton pleats were after lounging in a cafe chair, I had to agree that utility kilts were not designed for elegance.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Couya wrote: Ps : when I stood up and saw what a mess the cotton pleats were after lounging in a cafe chair, I had to agree that utility kilts were not designed for elegance.
That's probably why they are called "utility kilts", rather than "elegance kilts" :wink:

True about the cotton becoming easily mussed up. I find that I usually have to manually rearrange and smooth down my all-cotton kilts each time I get out of the car and stand up, but my poly/cotton blend ones usually fall into place on their own, and if not, a quick shake of the hips is all it takes to get it to hang properly again. OTOH, while the cotton doesn't behave as well, it is a bit more comfortable in the warmer weather as it is a more porous fabric.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Carl, are you sure you're really an American? Where's your positive outlook on life, your confidence?
That's an interesting observation, and one that has been made only a very few times before, and then only by folks who are very close to me. To be honest, there is quite a lot that I'm extremely unhappy about when it comes to the country of my birth, and that has only accelerated since the 1980s. I have plenty of confidence in my own talents and skills, but vastly less when it comes to society around me.
Compare British and American politicians at election. Firstly, here you stand for election, there you run. But more important is the difference between our "If we are elected we would ..." And your "When I am elected I will ..."
"Elections" here have little, if any, meaning. When all the candidates are pre-chosen by the elite class, an "election" loses all its meaning. And, if anyone tries telling you that the USA is a "classless society" feel free to laugh, and to laugh very hard -- and it's further stratifying with "downward mobility" the only option for 99.9%+ of the populace.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

crfriend wrote: "Elections" here have little, if any, meaning. When all the candidates are pre-chosen by the elite class, an "election" loses all its meaning. And, if anyone tries telling you that the USA is a "classless society" feel free to laugh, and to laugh very hard -- and it's further stratifying with "downward mobility" the only option for 99.9%+ of the populace.
+1

Sad, but all too true.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!