Man in skirt wins the Eurovision song contest

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Man in skirt wins the Eurovision song contest

Post by STEVIE »

Above all, this person is an entertainer and if they're successful at that, who cares about the rest?
I can remember my Dad saying that the Beatles looked like girls because of their hair styles. They'd be considered positively conservative today.
Times and attitudes do change.
Steve.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

ethelthefrog wrote:
She has chosen to be addressed using female pronouns, so we should respect her decision on this matter.

Whether or not she has a bulge does not change that she is who she is, and she doesn't need us to tell her she is "obviously" a man, because, frankly, the contents of her underwear is none of our business. No body part can define you as a person, that is down to one's mind.
It is a man, that's the objective truth. If your identity doesn't match the perception of others. Who are you to tell them otherwise? That would be like beating people up for laughing and snickering about you in a skirt.
[url=<a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02 ... 01741.html]these[/url]">http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02 ... 01741.html]these[/url]</a> [url=<a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09 ... 15674.html]women[/url]">http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09 ... 15674.html]women[/url]</a> are not defined by their hair, should it be different for Conchita?</span>
Women are indeed not defined by facial hair. The same thing applies to men. Hair is not a body part.
In addition, if she chooses to present on stage as a woman, that is her right; if she then goes home and lives her life as a man, that is equally her right. She really doesn't need any of us policing her gender identity or her gender presentation.
Right is a legal fiction, buddy. You don't own the thoughts of other persons and the same thing applies to the perception of you. If his personal identity doesn't match the perception of others. Who is he to tell them to think otherwise of him? If you perceive concita's appearance as a role play, things might be different. There are lots of dragqueens out there. :D

There is nothing to gain for the advocacy for men in skirts out of performance art, because it doesn't effect the perception of men as a whole.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

skirtilator wrote:
ethelthefrog wrote: She has chosen to be addressed using female pronouns, so we should respect her decision on this matter.

Whether or not she has a bulge does not change that she is who she is, and she doesn't need us to tell her she is "obviously" a man, because, frankly, the contents of her underwear is none of our business. No body part can define you as a person, that is down to one's mind.
It is a man, that's the objective truth. If your identity doesn't match the perception of others. Who are you to tell them otherwise? That would be like beating people up for laughing and snickering about you in a skirt.
How do you define "man"? If, by some accident, that by which you define "man" gets cut off or mutilated (it happens), would you no longer be a man? Is a woman who loses her breasts to cancer no longer a woman? If you were a head in a jar (see Futurama), would you no longer be a man? If you were born with one of many, many intersex conditions (about 1% of the population), would it be OK for someone you've never met to define your sex and your gender for you?

If someone else decides that anyone in a skirt is a woman, does that make you a woman? If you had gynecomastia and someone else decides that makes you are a woman, are they right? Are you telling me that you do not have the right to tell that person that you are, in fact, a man? Are you telling me that they do have the right to tell you if you are a man or a woman, in spite of what you are telling them?
Women are indeed not defined by facial hair. The same thing applies to men. Hair is not a body part.
What body parts are legitimate for determining my gender or my sex?
In addition, if she chooses to present on stage as a woman, that is her right; if she then goes home and lives her life as a man, that is equally her right. She really doesn't need any of us policing her gender identity or her gender presentation.
Right is a legal fiction, buddy. You don't own the thoughts of other persons and the same thing applies to the perception of you. If his personal identity doesn't match the perception of others. Who is he to tell them to think otherwise of him? If you perceive concita's appearance as a role play, things might be different. There are lots of dragqueens out there. :D
Are you suggesting to me that my sex and my gender are entirely defined by what others see when they look at me? That if I want to be a man, I have to look like one? If someone tells me I am not a man, that I have to flash my genitals at them to "prove" it?

Are you telling me that you do not have the right of self-determination? Rights are rights, and legal reality, not fiction, "buddy". They are there to protect people from bigotry and oppression. To allow a person the freedom to be who they are, without others forcing external opinions onto them.
There is nothing to gain for the advocacy for men in skirts out of performance art, because it doesn't effect the perception of men as a whole.
I'll agree with you there.