He Wears a Dress. She's Fine With That

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

He Wears a Dress. She's Fine With That

Post by Caultron »

A bit more extreme than most of us aspire to but many similarities...

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/0 ... -with-that
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: He Wears a Dress. She's Fine With That

Post by Stu »

I have to be honest and say I can't think of any similarities.

Each to their own of course, but crossdressing is most definitely not my thing.

Stu
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's an astounding story, and thanks for passing it along. Not only is the guy entirely honest about things, but his SO is entirely supportive. Would that it could be so good for all of us.

Not only should it be "required reading" for us lot, but it should most especially be required reading for our significant others.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Stu wrote:I have to be honest and say I can't think of any similarities.

Each to their own of course, but crossdressing is most definitely not my thing.
This guy Brian McCloskey is in toes-to-neck mode, but he's not trying to masquerade as a women. And many of his fears, anxieties, and solutions mirror those here. And we certainly have members here who are into ankles-to-neck or toes-to-neck fashions.

Personally, I'm a knees-to-waist guy but many of my fears, anxiety, and solutions mirror his. And I can certainly empathize with being a "hotel door" guy.

Pretty awesome, eh:
  • "Boss, wouldn't bee OK if I wore a dress to work?"

"Yes, you're certainly entitled to do that, and if anyone else objects or harasses you, I'll report them to HR."
If this weren't from an apparently legitimate source, I'd think it was TV fantasy.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:This guy Brian McCloskey is in toes-to-neck mode, but he's not trying to masquerade as a women. And many of his fears, anxieties, and solutions mirror those here. And we certainly have members here who are into ankles-to-neck or toes-to-neck fashions.
Well, if one is going to wear a dress -- as some of the community here do -- it's kind of hard to not be in "ankles-to neck" mode. (I'll reserve "toes-to-neck-mode" for those who like spiky heels.)
Personally, I'm a knees-to-waist guy but many of my fears, anxiety, and solutions mirror his. And I can certainly empathize with being a "hotel door" guy.
There was much in the article that resonated with me, even if the constant thrust was "women's clothing". Why is it that some styles are "reserved exclusively" for women and that men are forced into an ever-shrinking box of fashion choices that women are free to purloin? Is it not true that "What's good for the goose is good for the gander?"

To me, the amazing part of the story was how supportive and understanding the guy's wife is. His masculinity and drive remain intact, and she "gets that" -- why is it so hard for other wives and SOs to understand the notion. As Sapphire learned so many years ago when I deviated from the trousers-only dictum, when I am happy and comfortable with my choices I am a much more interesting and compelling individual -- and, more fun to be around.
Pretty awesome, eh:
  • "Boss, wouldn't bee OK if I wore a dress to work?"

"Yes, you're certainly entitled to do that, and if anyone else objects or harasses you, I'll report them to HR."
If this weren't from an apparently legitimate source, I'd think it was TV fantasy.
There was some precedent to this, as evidenced by the story, and likely the chap's boss was made aware of it beforehand. Now, confident, secure, and powerful bosses have great latitude to operate in, and it sounds like this guy has one; hopefully he knows how lucky he is because insecure and ineffectual bosses are a bane to the very existence of "out-of-the-box" thinkers.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Here's the bit from the article that I liked.

"I know that I'm supported. Do you know that you're supported?" "Yeah"

That echoes for me.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

I'm not seeing that he is "cross dressing" - he (apparently) doesn't wear a bra nor tries to "pass". He seems to be just a "guy in a dress". Good for him.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I suppose a lot of this depends on how you define the word, "cross-dresser." Like, what sorts of and how much feminine-associated clothing do you have to wear to be labelled a cross-dresser? And is cross-dressing a freedom, a fetish, or a perversion?

To say, "I like to wear skirts but I'm not a cross-dresser," does seem a little ambiguous. Perhaps the difference is whether you just like the style and comfort or whether you actually want to look like a woman. But that's not a distinction a casual passer-by can make.

caultron
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

And also does the person try to sound like a woman if he talks and/or try to walk and move like a woman? Also, if he wears a bra does he wear the bra with breast forms or does he wear it because he needs the support?

John