Man wearing skirt set on fire

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Uncle Al

Re: Man wearing skirt set on fire

Post by Uncle Al »

I did a Goggle Search for Luke Fleischman(Sasha) and this article pops up
from the Daily Mail. It shows Richard Thomas is being charged as an adult
for setting Luke (Sasha) Fleishman's clothing on fire. It is being treated as
a hate crime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fire.html

This one is from KQED News - -
http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2013/11/0 ... y-student/

You can find several other articles about Sasha in the Toronto CA, London UK and other area cities
news formats. It even hit the A.P. Wire and was on the major U.S. networks(ABC, NBC, CBS).

I hope the kid, Sasha, pulls through this terrible mess :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

On that Daily Wail article- "We are no longer accepting comments on this article."
I assume they have already deleted comments? Given the usual standard of comments on that site I would not be surprised.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

I did a Goggle Search for Luke Fleischman(Sasha) and this article pops up
from the Daily Mail. It shows Richard Thomas is being charged as an adult
for setting Luke (Sasha) Fleishman's clothing on fire. It is being treated as
a hate crime.
Is there such a thing as a love crime or should we just call it "nihilistic term"-crime and instead of hate speech, we call it "Don't do the Adolf, because it is offending"-speech? :lol: Setting people on fire for wearing something displeasing? Insane and nutty people do insane and nutty things, nothing out of the ordinary. :roll: :( :cry: :evil:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtilator wrote:Insane and nutty people do insane and nutty things, nothing out of the ordinary.
This is precisely why societies have developed things like prisons. They're there to separate the "insane and nutty" ('tis a pity we can't do the same with several types of sociopaths) from the general population.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

‘I am very sorry for my son's actions. I did not raise him that way,’ she said, adding: ‘My son is not a hateful person. He's a kid, kids joke around.’

Thomas' mother added that her son regretted his actions and will write the victim a letter of apology.
What else is the mother going to say, "I'm sorry but we raised him to be bigoted in many different ways and to do this sort of thing." She also says that he isn't a hateful person yet the lad apparently has admitted to being homophobic and he's made the ( incorrect ) assumption that just because someone is wearing a skirt he must be gay. Some assumption! And there's joking around and there's attempted murder - modern fabrics can be terribly unpredictable as to their response to being set alight so it still doesn't justify setting alight to someone's clothing. Just a thought - I wonder what the reactions would have been if the races had been reversed? This is not meant to be a racial or inflammatory remark but a genuine "wonder what" question.

A really sad case with repercussions for both parties.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

They're there to separate the "insane and nutty" ('tis a pity we can't do the same with several types of sociopaths) from the general population.
The sociopaths are just busy to make the rules to incarcerate people at gun point to the expense of the fantasized and real victims, despite the general population isn't healthy at all. You don't get any restitution from a prisoner and in most cases it isn't justified at all.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Further update on the story:-

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Law ... 985796.php

What I want to ask,regarding the word "prank" :- I always thought it had a funny side as in a practical joke. Where is the fun in this? Second and third degrss burns are NOT funny. Am I missing a different definition of the work "Prank" in the States?

Any why is the defentants lawyer hinting that because the perpetrator (at 16 years of age) cannot even spell homophobic, he cannot therefore BE homophobic?

At least I see that money is still being paid into his fund for the treatment
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

As I said earlier, the lawyer is going all out, and will very likely succeed, in having Thomas charged as an irresponsible juvenile. From a distance, I cannot pass judgement. The act of setting someone's clothing on fire is deplorable in the extreme. This was, evidently, from the injuries, exacerbated by a preponderance of synthetic fibres which, from their petrochemical makeup, burn fiercely and melt into the flesh.

On a more cheerful note, I have reached the 1000 post milestone :ugeek: :thewave:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

skirtingtoday wrote:Further update on the story:-

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Law ... 985796.php

What I want to ask,regarding the word "prank" :- I always thought it had a funny side as in a practical joke. Where is the fun in this? Second and third degrss burns are NOT funny. Am I missing a different definition of the work "Prank" in the States?

Any why is the defentants lawyer hinting that because the perpetrator (at 16 years of age) cannot even spell homophobic, he cannot therefore BE homophobic?

At least I see that money is still being paid into his fund for the treatment
This blogger on that same paper is not buying the "prank" explanation-
http://blog.sfgate.com/cwnevius/2013/11 ... ts-a-joke/
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Homophobic is a pseudo scientific term used as a pejorative to pathologize people who hate gays. I don't care if he hate microwaves or gays but burning people for wearing fancy clothes, that's insane. Restitution cannot buy forgiveness in this case. :shock:
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Not much new news on this but I came across a very moving open letter written by Luke's father.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-flei ... 69089.html
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Interesting :!:

A very understanding, caring and compassionate father :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I totally agree, that is a wonderful father that Sasha has. I wish the world had MANY more people like him in it.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

News update - Luke "Sasha" Fleischman goes home from hospital for Thanksgiving. Great to hear that!

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/1 ... ital-stay/

He could even get back to school as early as Monday next.