Tha Guardian comments on skirts Aug 2013

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tha Guardian comments on skirts Aug 2013

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hmmm, Macabi, has anyone actually compared the female and male Macabi? is it just marketing or are there two different flavours/cuts of skirt?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:The Macabi skirt was designed by a woman for women. However, because it is useful for the kind of outdoor activities that males like, some men expressed interest, and so a version tailored for men was created.
The "male" and "female" "versions" are actually identical. The advice on the site is for men to order two sizes "down" from women's sizes to account for the different waist/hip ratios. As I like my skirts fairly full I opted to go down only one size and ordered a "long" version for myself due to my height. This is my primary "sailing skirt".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Thanks Carl, that's what I thought. Also mine only really get worn around the house or when sailing, where they work well, even if the fabric feels a bit like nylon tent cloth!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:Thanks Carl, that's what I thought. Also mine only really get worn around the house or when sailing, where they work well, even if the fabric feels a bit like nylon tent cloth!
Well, nylon tent cloth is what the fabric is -- by design! I believe the original called for rip-stop fabric, but I may be mistaken on that count.

I find I use mine for highly-casual knock-about times as well as the functionality of water-shedding whilst on the briny. I have a rust-coloured plaid shirt that goes well with the "firebrick" Macabi (even Sapphire says the combination looks good, so I managed to hit that one from the park) but is very casual-looking so that's what it gets used for.

It is worth noting, however, that I did not buy the Macabi for it's formal looks -- I bought it purely on function-for-purpose.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!