Weblinks for Men In Skirts Blogs & other News Articles

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Uncle Al

Weblinks for Men In Skirts Blogs & other News Articles

Post by Uncle Al »

A few items I found when looking at Facebook and links to these articles.

Misconceptions of men wearing skirts
Skirt fashion for men
Why Men Should Wear Skirts

Interesting :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Weblinks for Men In Skirts Blogs & other News Articles

Post by Grok »

Encouraging men to embrace their inner femininity won't sell skirts; if anything, that will repel them.
Last edited by Grok on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The marketing assumes that men are women. If so, we are very strange women :cyclops:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Not with you, Grok. Where does he encourage femininity? Some of his styles are too fem for me - the gipsy skirts and dirndls, but most are OK.

As for the adverts, they are propably generated automatically. The software sees the word "skirt" all over the place and assumes that the page is aimed at women.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have no idea where the notion of "embracing inner femininity" came from as all the articles quoted were quite solidly in the masculine camp with the possible exception of the shoes in one of the articles. So, I believe we can safely dismiss the notion. Full stop.

Skirts work. They work on gals (and we love them for it) and they work on guys (and we're cooler for it). This has precisely nothing about "embracing femininity". It has everything to do with a sense of style and what looks good on us and what's comfortable.

Sure, we will encounter narrow minds when we're so attired, and sometimes those narrow minds hold power over us, but if we surrender to those small minds we are lowering ourselves to their level which is never healthy for a free thinker. "Non illegitimi carborundum" as the saying goes. If they grind us down to their level then they have won. Yes, occasionally we'll have to bow to convention, possibly to keep jobs or (vastly more perniciously) marriages, but in the long haul ought to be able to run free.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

So the soft ware has a gender bias?
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Grok wrote:So the soft ware has a gender bias?
Calling it a bias is overstating a little, but it will have a built in concept of linked or associated products in order to target advertisements as accurately as it can. For example trying to sell hunting rifles on a page of search results about pet shops is unlikely to be successful. Equally, advertising Hy-Mac diggers to people searching for baby clothes may also be a tough sale...

The software is designed to look for key words and then, based on probability, it will offer adverts that it thinks may be relevant. Guys in skirts are too small a market segment to have made much impact on Mr Google's probability models yet.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That sort of software is very sophisticated. I read an article about the American store Target, who inadvertently tipped a man off about his teenage daughter being pregnant. Target worked it out because she had started to buy certain items, so they sent adverts and vouchers for babygrows, prams etc to her address. She lived with her parents, so her father saw the adverts and the penny dropped!

George Orwell was right; Big Brother is watching you.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair