Men in Skirts "Common in Five Years"???

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Men in Skirts "Common in Five Years"???

Post by Raakone »

Hi, I came across an article HERE.... http://www.menswearstyle.co.uk/2013/03/ ... -skirt/432

Suggests that they are slowly making inroads. Also suggests the writer of this article still finds the idea "weird." And makes a comment about a "leather mini." But I quite prefer the style of the guy in the main picture. That black skirt goes well with the hoody!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in Skirts "Common in Five Years"???

Post by skirtingtoday »

I did come across this article - but did you see the prices for the skirts on the pics at the foot of the article!

:faint: :faint:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

When he says that in 5 years ordinary men will think it is OK to wear a skirt, I detect some wishful thinking!

Maybe men will think it OK in principle, but very few will actually do it. But I reckon we will remain a very small minority for a long time. Would that it were not so!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

An interesting blog to the extent that while the blogger is not enthusiastic about men in skirts, nonetheless he or she acknowledges the trend.
The skirts advertised are prohibitively expensive but cheaper knock-offs might follow.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

The author does reveal some confusion on the issue-
"Men, in reality, have very few options. Therefore, the time has come for the ultimate feminisation of menswear,..."
:roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pleated wrote:The author does reveal some confusion on the issue [...]
The issue gives many men pause simply because it's so alien to the male psyche -- it's something that just doesn't appear on the RADAR naturally. Men have grown used to the tight regime when it comes to expression via clothing, and to its increasing limits, so it doesn't rankle most of us; it mainly annoys the more creative of us, and we then drive the notion into public view as we "step out of line" regarding style.

Getting skirts accepted on guys is not going to be driven from the catwalk or runway; it's not going to be driven by celebrities or VIPs; it's going to be driven by the little guy who just happens to like wearing things that are out of the ordinary and who does so with a flair and panache that looks good enough to make others contemplate the notion.

This is not a "feminisation of menswear", it's an untying of the straitjacket that men have been told to wear for far too long. When I'm wearing a skirt, I am just as much of a man as when I'm wearing trousers, and it shows.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I do object to the emotive word "feminisation". I think a word like "harmonisation" would have been better. As discussed on other threads the association with feminine being somehow less desirable is not the attitude. The tone of the article was confusing, starting out with good arguments for and then stating an unease. Don't knock it until you've tried it springs to mind.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Sinned wrote:I do object to the emotive word "feminisation". I think a word like "harmonisation" would have been better. As discussed on other threads the association with feminine being somehow less desirable is not the attitude. The tone of the article was confusing, starting out with good arguments for and then stating an unease. Don't knock it until you've tried it springs to mind.

I like this new word, "harmonisation". Good thought and I'll use it and versions of it, (harmonize, harmonious), when talking about skirts for men. I've noticed some times people start looking glassy eyed when explanations go on for awhile. It would seem some just want to hear about it, but not actually interested to learn it.

Tom
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

crfriend wrote: Getting skirts accepted on guys is not going to be driven from the catwalk or runway;
While I agree with that, of course, since I find runway outfits most unattractive, I can't agree with
it's not going to be driven by celebrities or VIPs;
I'm quite sure that entertainment and sport stars are the very people to get new styles talked about and copied. It has happened with outlandish hairstyles (bleached or long, when it was something unusual for men) for example, so why not with outlandish things like skirts? If a few football players, film stars, pop "music" makers adopted skirts publicly, some of the younger generation could well follow in their usual sheeply manner.

Unfortunately, though, if it happens, it is quite likely to be a mere flash in the pan, and, like any other fashion, may not last more than a few months.

Yes, "feminisation" was a very badly chosen word to use!

Martin
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

After writing the above, I had a look at the (barely active) Spanish forum "InterMIS", and read that there had been a tv program last sunday, a kind of talent show called "Tu, si que vales", in which a group of brass players won the round; one girl and 8 lads in red t-shirts and black mini-skirts. Presumably their idea is too look like American cheerleaders, but there's nothing feminine about them, just musicians clowning around a little. If they are popular, who knows what we'll be seeing on the streets of Madrid in the near future?

Here's a link if you want to hear them play and see them in different skirts :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FwI5BJXSHs

Martin
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

skirtingtoday wrote:I did come across this article - but did you see the prices for the skirts on the pics at the foot of the article!

:faint: :faint:
What i find hysterical is that i have a skirt almost identical to that first one with the hoody in the main article, it's my favorite, and the first i bought.

$2 from the thrift store!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

The "Million Skirted Men" march in February, 2004 received international news coverage and was supposed to change the world. Now it's 9 years later and mostly forgotten.

However, it seems like societal changes in attitude arrive must faster than they used to now with the internet, social media, and youtube. The issue of same-sex marriage in the US, only very recently thought to be barely attainable, is now moving forward at lightning speed. A few respected opinion leaders led the charge and now attitudes are changing.

I'm still annoyed that my US state, New York, does not have a "gender expression" protection law. There is a law that prohibits discrimination based on sexual preference, but not gender expression. Technically there is no law that prohibits me from wearing a skirt so long as I am modestly dressed. But I could be evicted by my landlord for wearing a skirt and it would be difficult for me to litigate.

We still have a ways to go.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Eh? How could wearing a skirt put you in breach of the lease? Do you reckon it could be classed as disturbing the neighbours or some such?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

couyalair wrote:After writing the above, I had a look at the (barely active) Spanish forum "InterMIS", and read that there had been a tv program last sunday, a kind of talent show called "Tu, si que vales", in which a group of brass players won the round; one girl and 8 lads in red t-shirts and black mini-skirts. Presumably their idea is too look like American cheerleaders, but there's nothing feminine about them, just musicians clowning around a little. If they are popular, who knows what we'll be seeing on the streets of Madrid in the near future?

Here's a link if you want to hear them play and see them in different skirts :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FwI5BJXSHs

Martin
They're great! What fun and energy! And not a hint of self-conciousness about wearing the skirts.
Here's a link to their promotional video. They wear all sorts of different kit, including some with skirts.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

In reply to skirty scot- Gender expression is not a protected class in New York in the same way as race, ethnicity, sexual preference, national origin, gender or disability. If a landlord or employer is morally opposed to men wearing skirts, then the male skirtwearer can be discriminated against in the absence of a law protecting gender expression. If a woman presents a male appearance she could also be discriminated against.

There are always vague charges used by law-enforcement also like "disorderly conduct" and "obstructing government administration" which are catch-all terms for harassing people.