"Anybody can wear anything they want"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Anybody can wear anything they want"

Post by JeffB1959 »

crfriend wrote:
Chris Webb wrote:I do think that many men don't wear skirts for the very reasons they tell me: They lack the courage or they lack the legs or both ... many who want to wear skirts are simply embarrassed by their legs.
That one "needs good legs" to wear a skirt is a bit of a fallacy, and one that bites into our own self-esteem needlessly -- and, besides, who is the arbiter of "good legs"?

It's worth remembering that legs, just like the rest of our bodies, tend to take a bit of a beating over the years, so will, generally, look less and less "good" as time progresses; however, we should wear those scars with pride as it shows that we've accumulated some mileage on the old carcass rather than sitting at home and pampering it. Don't let somebody else -- much less a perceived somebody else -- tell you what your body-type faults are: just don't. Because, when you do, you surrender an important piece of self-determination.

A lack of courage can sometimes by cured by upbeat interactions, and the admonition of, "If you're nervous, at least don't let on" can be helpful. Keep in mind that other cultures embrace skirt-like garments for guys, and when it's hot out, comfort is always a good argument in the "for" category of skirts.
Quite right. While I don't have the legs of a supermodel, that doesn't stop me from wearing skirts, especially short skirts in spring and summer. Hell, I've seen more than my fair share of women who don't exactly have killer legs either, but that doesn't stop them from wearing what they want, so there's no reason we should be hindered either.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Anybody can wear anything they want"

Post by partlyscot »

JeffB1959 wrote:
Quite right. While I don't have the legs of a supermodel, that doesn't stop me from wearing skirts, especially short skirts in spring and summer. Hell, I've seen more than my fair share of women who don't exactly have killer legs either, but that doesn't stop them from wearing what they want, so there's no reason we should be hindered either.
I don't have supermodel legs either, though I do think they're quite decent, and that I look better in a skirt than about half the women I see in one.