Interviewed about Men Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Interviewed about Men Skirts

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I was recently interviewed about Men's Skirts by the online magazine Debonair.

http://www.debonairmag.com/mens-skirts- ... an-francis

It’s a good opportunity to leave positive comments so that other men that read this magazine can see that there are many men that wear skirts as men. I tried to put as much info as I could into this interview with the space I had. I wanted to emphasize the social issues such as double standards, prejudice and the commonsense of equality in fashion, as I don’t see this emphasised in other articles about Men’s Skirts.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interviewed about Men Skirts

Post by janrok »

A good and informative article.
I left a comment of course!

Jan.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I too left a comment (awaiting approval):

Recap:

Would you ever wear a skirt in public? Tell us why/why not!

Simply the answer is not in the future tense "Would you ever wear a skirt in public" but in the PAST tense.
Yes I wear skirts and a combo of skirts and shorts called a skort.
I also wear kilts.

I like shorten hem lines - much shorter than those stupid baggy crotch hanging abominations called pants !
Comfort is one of the main reasons for wearing a skirt as noted above in the commentary/editorial.
For the question of what is worn underneath a skirt or kilt - is simply none of your damn business - except
to state nothing is worn underneath everything is fine working order.
When wearing something of an abbreviated nature yes something is worn to prevent exposure to the
elements and unpredicatability of the laws and those that enforce them.

I prefer all my skirted kilted items to be breaking just at mid thigh or a tad longer than mini-skirt length.

I have a bad case of psoriasis and the more I can expose my legs to the sunlight the better. It does help.

I mentioned skorts above these are simply shorts with an external all around apron.
They are short enough that they accomplish everything I want in athletic gear.
You can not find clothing that short on the mens side of asile.
The next thing that will happen is mens basketball pants will be capri length instead of going back in time
to the 50s & 60s when they were almost short shorts.
Imagine olympic swimmers trading in their speedos for drag shoots.
The original olympics were for the most part nude - no hidden agenda or tricks up ones sleeve.

Fashion is certainly crazy - one year it is take it all off (almost) and the next put it all back all on.
Somebody gets rich because of this rapidly variable hem line.

The writer above has it pegged correctly - Women can wear as much or as little at they want without
a blink of an eye (well maybe eye candy excepted) but as for men everything worn has to be in lock
step and woe be if you step out of line - time to say "Bull $xxt" - I am not toeing the mark !
Granted not every form or male of female should be wearing certain clothes but let the individual be
their own clothing police.

rma

"The-Pen-Has-Got-To-Be-More-Mighter-Than-The-Sword"!
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Good article.
I wonder who will read it...

Martin, after adding my own brief comment.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

couyalair wrote:I wonder who will read it...
Always a difficult question to answer for web articles. However it is always good to get a new piece of positive publicity and hopefully a few comments will help to keep this visible in Google Alerts and such like.

Comment left (as "Ian" - well, that is my name :D )

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

My comment - also currently awaiting moderation:

I am not a fan of men wearing feminine things. The only jewellery I own is my wedding ring. I wouldn’t dream of having an ear pierced, or coloring my hair or carrying a “manbag”, and i find the idea of men wearing mascara to be absurd.

However, I see absolutely nothing wrong in men having an option of wearing some kind of skirt, designed for men and in a reasonably masculine style. Kilts are men’s garments sometimes appropriated by women; the same applies to sarongs, so these should be just as acceptable for men anywhere in the world. It should then be extended to plain skirts, perhaps in denim, corduroy or canvas, ideally made with masculine features like wide belt loops and deep pockets.

I salute you as a pioneer, Mr Francis.

It is outrageous that such a basic garment is deemed exclusively a female garment in western culture, whereas women and girls enjoy such total fashion freedom.

Stu
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Yes, really a good and positive article, to which I have given these comments:

But of course I would wear a skirt in public. In fact, since 15 years by now I do it a lot, practically every day, and without any problems whatsoever.
Compared to trousers where I get no reactions at all, I will get a few when in a skirted garment. But to my best knowledge 95% or more of them are absolutely positive. Family, friends, neighbors, and most important, of course, my dear wife have long ago accepted it. Probably, because I at all times put emphasis on a manly appearance. I simply substitute jeans or shorts with a traditional kilt plus a minimum of “Scottish” accessories (I’m not Scottish myself) or a Utilikilt. To me my kilts have become smart casual wear.
I wear them for comfort, variety, appearance and the difference, they make. Taking the manly anatomy into consideration kilts are for a lot of tasks way better than are trousers (they might be healthier, too) but not for all, and therefore I should never give up wearing trousers. By adding kilts to my wardrobe I’m having the best of two worlds, however, just like our wives who are free to chose between skirts and trousers.
Therefore my advice to other men: Buy yourself a kilt and go wear it, whenever you feel like it and appropriate.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Did not notice a reader counter to see how many people are reading the article.
15 comments
24 "Likes"
4 Tweets

15 comments so far from quite a large cross section of kilt & skirt wearing folk.
But 15 is only enough to scrape up a few atoms of resistance.
Even 1500 would not be making much of a statement.
Yet if we split those atoms something just might happen but we need a strong
action to start the centrifuge to a point that there is no going back to the old ways!
Hopefully this will occur in the NEAR future rather than in the distant.

Fashion radiation my arse give me constitutional expression of Life; Liberty and
the pursuit of Happiness to wear what I want when I want with no interference.

"So-Much-For-My-Summit-On-A-Soapbox"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Nice article. But most men are, as I commented, a lot like sheep. They are happy to be anonymous members of the herd, afraid to be seen as even a little bit different. I think that is slowly changing. Time will tell.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Very nice and positive article! We need more of those in many other places in various media. I added my comment to the thread.

It was a particularly good response to the "protecting the family jewels" question.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!