Men in skirt flashmob, 15th July, Trafalgar Square, London

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in skirt flashmob, 15th July, Trafalgar Square, Lond

Post by mugman »

Judging by another upcoming Flashmob event 'Pillow Fight In Portsmouth', where participants are advised to disappear into the crowd afterwards, some (all?) of these events are obviously aimed at partygoers/exhibitionists. Possibly best leave them to get on with it. I don't think there are any problems in undermining real male skirt championing if 'funny' clothes are the order of the day. This dressing up will happen at most carnivals in the UK, usually dressed as St. Trinian's tarts. I'm sure that our own casual exemplifications of how a man in a skirt can be sensibly presented, any day of the year, will always attract the most respect (if noticed at all) than any hooliganized two hour shindig is likely to.

Pete
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

crfriend wrote: If we try to fade into the woodwork then our message will never get out.

If you're not "out there" in public you're not an ambassador.
Agreed, Carl, but most of us would like to fade into the background and not look unusual in our skirts (ie : we'd prefer men's skirts to become unremarkable, no?).
Looking normal in a day-to-day functional skirt, none of the media would notice us, surrounded by a lot of clowns in outrageous outfits whose pictures would sell.

I prefer to keep away from such events and continue acting as ambassador by going about my life dressed comfortably for everyone to see without looking like something I am not.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Now I know a Greek by the name of Archimedes who wouldn't describe it quite like that. He'd argue that the waterline outside also rises, stays ahead of the waterline inside by the displacement of the boat and therefore will cross the decks ahead of the water inside.
You are, of course, correct, and I in error. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last, but it's still a bit embarrassing. :oops:

I love the artwork on the boat!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, I couldn't resist photographing that. I was just strolling along their long finger pontoons admiring all the lovely yachts when I came across it.
Don't let it get to you, Carl. Just remember that this guy Archimedes will be with you every time you go sailing. He had most things hydraulic worked out Ca. 2,250 years ago, but he hadn't started on Computers.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

I'll be in London the week before the flashmob in question (although a two-hour-long mob is scarcely "flash"). I've nearly finished the skirt I'll be wearing, too. Pockets went in last night. Fly is next, then the box-pleats on the front panel (I pleated the back panel a couple of weeks ago), then waistband and the highlight colour at the hem, then the headscratching about why it measured correctly yet doesn't fit.

9 days to go. It'll be fine.

(or that's what I keep telling myself).

So if anyone is in a pub in the Twickenham area on 7th July and you see a lanky guy in an "olive" (basically dark brown, but hey) box-pleat skirt with a yellow flash at the knee, it's me.

Not flashing the mob, though.

Paul.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Any follow-up to this event? Did it happen? Just curious...
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
MFrog

Post by MFrog »

Kirbstone wrote:Yes, I couldn't resist photographing that. I was just strolling along their long finger pontoons admiring all the lovely yachts when I came across it.
Don't let it get to you, Carl. Just remember that this guy Archimedes will be with you every time you go sailing. He had most things hydraulic worked out Ca. 2,250 years ago, but he hadn't started on Computers.

T.
Well, it seems that Archimedes could be the inventor of the world’s first analogue computer, the Antikyteramechanism found in the mediterraneansea in the beginning of 1900-something and examined thoroughly a couple of years ago. It has nothing to do with anything here, really, interesting though! :P

M