The Man Skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

The Man Skirt

Post by sapphire »

Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Man Skirt

Post by SkirtRevolution »

We need to encourage these designers and let them know, there are many men who will wear a skirt.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

For the pics :
<http://brieuc75.typepad.fr/soundtrackto ... owens.html>

It's good to see skirts for men on display, but I find skirts as long as these quite inappropriate for anything but sitting watching tv. It's quite impossible to move easily or fast with all that cloth flapping round your ankles.

And, as usual, the men look sullen and quite unattractive.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thanks for the link, Martin, as Sapphire and I could not see the images because the T&G article linked them through a tracking site that I've blackholed locally for security reasons.

Of the looks involved, about the only one I found even remotely compelling was the all-white one ith a jacket and ruffled shirt under. Other commentary I have about the looks involved are that the unfastened rain-boots just look stupid (and can't be comfortable) and I have a viscerally negative reaction to the "skinhead look".

As far as the expressions on the models is concerned, I absolutely agree that the designer would do better by having his models show some expressivity instead of the "gorilla glare". Personally, I interpret the glare as overt hostility and react accordingly.
It's good to see skirts for men on display, but I find skirts as long as these quite inappropriate for anything but sitting watching tv. It's quite impossible to move easily or fast with all that cloth flapping round your ankles.
Long skirts can work quite well if they're well designed -- the ones on display above look more like sacks. I have no problems out and about on daily affairs in any of my floor-sweepers, and those even get mileage at work when the weather is cool enough.
Last edited by crfriend on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Bloody Internet Exploder and munged international URLs
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My take is that these looks are for the "fringe" fahion elements not for the "bloke in a skirt". However, fringe can become mainstream if it gets enough exposure and support. That can only be to our advantage in the long run. Personally, I didn't see anything which I would go out of my way to wear at any time. The expression on the models seems to convey a message, "I'm wearing a skirt, go on punk, make my day"
They certainly do not look happy or relaxed which is not conducive to trying to emulate the look.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Fashion designers have tried the man skirt thing before, and have had absolutely no effect on mens' wardrobes.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

But watching his models, who looked willowy and ravishing in their dresses,
I think if the models are willowy and ravishing, they're not really dresses for men, but dresses for males who wish they were females. For instance, a man in Scotland or anywhere in a full kilt suit complete with Sgein Dhu(sp.) CANNOT look willowy or ravishing. Same goes for East Indian mahouts driving Elephants or Africans in full red dresses hunting for Lions with spears. These men look like men. They are not willowy or ravishing. They are men doing men's work in M.U.G.s as they have been doing it for thousands of years. :thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Maybe, but the Rick Owens dresses and skirts, at least look like something that a regular man could wear on the high street, rather than eliciting a 'WTF?'
Most of the designs were masculine in nature and while some may be a little long for practicality, that's not what these fashions shows are about.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Since1982 wrote:Sgein Dhu(sp.)
Sgian dubh.

Personally, I'm getting annoyed with the insertion of "man" into perfectly good names for things. Why do we need mantights, manskirts and so on when the words are perfectly functional on their own. Our wives don't wear womantrousers, they just wear trousers.

I guess it's an insecurity thing. Men have lost their dominance and it's going to take a generation or two to feel confident without it.

Paul.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm just being smart here:

I don't posess a sgian Dubh to stick down my kilthose, but I have had the pleasure of contributing to the forward motion of 'our' Sgian Dubh', a lovely decorated four-place Traditional Skiff, which the Society keeps at its home at Port Fonty, near Reading.
TTBS 'Sgian Dubh at Lord Maror's Rally 2010.jpg
No doubt it will take part in Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee Thames Rally next year, and there will be competition for places on her.

Tom K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !