Skirts on TV in UK today

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rogerbigfish

Skirts on TV in UK today

Post by rogerbigfish »

Hi,

ITV's morning news program had a follow on item to yesterday's item about the school boy's protest of wearing a skirt to school.

Here is the link: http://www.itv.com/daybreak/presenters/ ... get-girly/

This item featured 3 men in skirts and although a bit tongue in cheek has some positive points. Well worth watching.

The main presenter said how much he liked wearing the skirt and that if it were more traditional he would wear to a meeting today!

Roger.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts on TV in UK today

Post by RichardA »

good heads up, but that woman turned it in to a piss take which was a shame
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Drat :!:

I keep getting "Video not available". Can/will someone post a direct
link to the video :?: Please :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

that is the direct link maybe you can't get in in the US of A
http://www.itv.com/daybreak/presenters/ ... get-girly/
stefan

Post by stefan »

It says that you cant get it outside of UK.
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

Here's how it goes - Take 3 men and put them in totally inappropriate skirts. Then get two women to take the pi55 out of them. Then bring in a guy with a leafblower to turn it into a 3 ring circus.
Adrian tried to put positive points across but he was fighting an uphill battle, particularly as the "expert" seemed anti MIS. And where did she get the idea that you have to be Scottish to wear a kilt?

No, I'm afraid it was just another "let's poke fun at men in skirts" thing. I can just imagine the uproar if the tables were turned!!!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

I have to agree with Jock, there. I note that the leafblower wasn't applied to the women either...

On the upside, it gets people thinking about skirts. My wife an I both thought Adrian's skirt was the right shape, just that the person who selected it for him was doing their level best to make it look awful. Had the wardrobe dept wanted to, they could have chosen much, much better skirts.

Hey ho.
SkirtedMouse

Post by SkirtedMouse »

More and more articles are appearing on the web about both the original story with the school boy, and now with TV presenter Adrian Chiles revealing how he would like to wear a skirt. I have just watched 'Have I Got News for you' on TV now and even this primetime highly viewed program has made a mention of it. Even if they are making humour out of it, it will get people aware that some men choose to wear skirts.

While we go about our daily lives wearing a skirt, the members of the public who see us wearing a skirt will continue to be surprised or even shocked at the sight of seeing a man wearing a skirt. However, the increasing percentage of people who have seen or read these articles are more likely to recall this news story after the initial surprise.

In other words, I think it helps make male skirt wearing a bit more socially acceptable than it was because it may lower the 'shock level' from "OMG is that man really wearing a SKIRT?" to "OMG that man is wearing a skirt. Oh, I remember seeing that on the TV, there must be more men choosing to wear them now...".

Of course, I appreciate this does not affect those of us who wear our skirts in public as we wouldn't if we were clearly bothered about what people thought about it. But it may help to lower the anxiety of those who do not yet have the confidence to wear their skirts in public because a much greater proportion of the public will have been 'softened' to the idea that some men wear skirts. And better still, it may provoke men into trying on a skirt, who otherwise would have continued to wear trousers because that is all they know.

So, despite all the 'mickey taking' shown on this program and in some of the online articles, the huge number of people who will see these articles will probably be so much greater than any publicity us skirt wearing men could ever do in a lifetime to promote our 'cause' and for that reason its power should not be underestimated.

Although this article is heavily UK biased, this week should be remembered as a positive thing for men in skirts.

Just my thoughts, your opinions will probably differ!

SkirtedMouse
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

What's interesting is that we haven't reached the 'slow news/silly season' yet, when these things are usually reported. There's still plenty of bad news in the world to keep the media occupied, yet the repercussions of this lad in a small school made it to the TV.

If I remember correctly, the last time a MIS-related item hit the media, it was a couple of years ago when they discovered some men in Poitiers (France) who wore skirts. The story even made it to our local radio station.

As SkirtedMouse says, its making people a bit more aware that some men do wear skirts :D

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Monster Pete

Post by Monster Pete »

I think that despite that awful fashion 'expert' being her usual self and the fooling around, the overall article was good. Particularly it pointed out that men wore skirts as everyday wear in the past, and plainly asked the viewer 'why don't men wear skirts' without really giving any reasons against it. The fact that a relatively popular tv presenter was openly advocating skirts for men can only be a good thing as well.
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Every bit of news keeps our cause in the public mind. I don't have much time for TV, but glad to hear about the programme.
Colin.