Male student wears high heels to school

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
MSpookshow

Male student wears high heels to school

Post by MSpookshow »

Hey everyone,

I came across this news story today and thought I would share it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/20 ... y_was.html

Unfortunately the news crew does not talk to the young man who wore the heels, but they do speak to a friend of his. I'm not entirely sure what to make of the principal, he seemed genuine in his concern, although I really feel he should have went to bat for this kid and allowed him to wear what he wanted. The news story didn't really mention if the name callers got in trouble or if that just slipped under the radar. :?
Dans-le-Vent

Re: Male student wears high heels to school

Post by Dans-le-Vent »

It's another example that our society isn't nearly as progressive as we would like to think. Although I do agree with the notion that there might have been genuine concern for both of these boy's safety but we'll never really know about for sure.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

The USA is even less progressive than that, or just greedier... If any of our members play online poker like I do, the good old US of A is showing a really really greedy side of the coin. They stopped Poker Stars.com and FullTiltPoker.com from servicing U. :twisted: S. players. Not only did they stop them, but the FBI froze over 100 million dollars in player's accounts and seized it from the OFFSHORE banks it was being held in. Personally, I don't understand where the FBI gets the power to seize money held in banks in the Channel Islands in the UK and banks in the Isle of Man. I suppose the Swiss banks and Grand CAyman Banks are next. Then what??? War over poker winnings???? :twisted:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

To me, at least, this sounds like the principal was using safety as an excuse. If the anti-bullying policy in that school is "don't attract bullies' attention", there's something seriously wrong. If the school doesn't have a uniform (which I thihk is the norm over there in the US, isn't it?), the staff should allow people to wear whatever clothes they wish to. If they fear that someone is at risk of bullying, they really need to address the problem, and the problem is not the victim.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

If the school doesn't have a uniform (which I thihk is the norm over there in the US, isn't it?)
Public schools usually don't have a uniform, and rely upon a rather strict dress and grooming code.
I would say less then 5% of public schools have adopted a uniform.

Private schools usually have a uniform.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

A T-shirt with/without a collar, denims or khaki long pants, socks and athletic shoes is the normal somewhat of a uniform for American schoolboys from grade 7 (pre-7th grade is shorts) through High School graduation. Not much different in the first 2 years of college either. Just a change to athletic marked name brand clothes. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
jaycee

Post by jaycee »

I fail to see what this has to do with skirts :roll:
MSpookshow

Post by MSpookshow »

jaycee wrote:I fail to see what this has to do with skirts :roll:
While this forum is indeed called SKIRTcafe, I was under the impression that other garments are both explored and accepted here. :roll:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I fail to see what this has to do with skirts
We talk about a lot of things at SkirtCafe besides skirts. Most of us are adult, mature human beings with many interests. Only very rarely does anyone try (usually very unsuccessfully)to put us in their rendition of a "box" and force us to talk only about skirts. Good luck to you though, although I doubt you'll have any. :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MSpookshow wrote:While this forum is indeed called SKIRTcafe, I was under the impression that other garments are both explored and accepted here. :roll:
It used to be that I'd punt questions like these to the Master Barista for adjudication, but it turns out that I'm in that hot-seat now and if I try punting the question aside I'll be derelict in my duties....

The way that I look at it is that SkirtCafe is, indeed, about the skirt -- getting the garment and the notion thereof accepted and into general use for guys. However, it turns out that it's also about more than just the skirt because it takes more than just a skirt to produce a workable and believeable look that doesn't jar the onlooker or offend his sensibilities. That's why other elements of clothing get attention, but ideally they get that attention in the context of a well-rounded skirted look.

I know that there are guys (and gals) who have laser-like focus on individual pieces of clothing (e.g. high heels, pnatyhose [sic], and undergarments in general) which borders on, if not delving deeply into, fetish -- and this is something that I feel would be detrimental to the core purpose of SkirtCafe. Additionally, there are positively loads of sites on "The Internet" that cater to those individuals much better than SkirtCafe might simply because of its focus.

Ultimately, SkirtCafe is dedicated to promoting, and advocating for, the acceptance of skirted looks on men; fetish and prurience detract from that goal because they are distractions. If you want to wear a skirted rig to work, or out on the town, do you really want the world around you to think you a pervert? I suspect not -- and that's a tall hill to climb; let's not make it higher or steeper than it needs to be.

Now, to answer the question of the kid wearing high heels to school -- and getting a few days' vacation for it -- we'd need more information to really draw any rational conclusions. The media, predictably, went after this in a sensationalist manner (it sells advertising, their raison d'etre) and offered almost nothing really relevant -- like "Why?" -- so we're all in the dark. The school-yard years are a desperate time for youngsters; they're trying to forge identities, compete for attention, and just generally trying to figure out who they are -- and they're doing so in a social environment that makes prison look sometimes appealing. That the teenage suicide rate is as low as it is confounds me. My personal take on the matter is that this particular kid just tried to push the envelope to gain attention -- attention which was granted. The school administration's concern about him "being a distraction to others" doesn't hold water; kids are perennially distracted -- nor does their concern about bullying because if they really cared about it they'd stamp it out. This was about power and control and precious little else. Did it offend some administrator's tender sensibilities? Probably.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!