Bare leg ban

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Gmerc

Bare leg ban

Post by Gmerc »

Post deleted
Last edited by Gmerc on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Milfmog

Re: Bare leg ban

Post by Milfmog »

Graham,

Google "Peter Trigger skirt" and you will get plenty of information on this story. The most current BBC news story can be found here. The current story only says that the High Court has ruled that his being sent to prison for breach of the ASBO was wrong. I see nothing that says that the ASBO has been recinded.

It was discussed here around the time he was given the ASBO (December 2008). In a nutshell, the story was that he was hanging around a local school while the kids were going in or out wearing a schoolgirl uniform. He was barred from wearing a skirt or going barelegged around the hours that kids travel to or from school. There are also a number of reports of him breaching the ASBO and some reports of him wearing a labcoat, apparently with nothing else. He was subsequently sent to prison for a different offence (exposure) of which he had been found guilty and for which he had been given a suspended sentence. The breach of the ASBO resulted in his suspended sentence being unsuspended.

For the benefit of non-UK readers an ASBO or Anti-Social Behaviour Order is a legal instrument that requires an individual to desist from a specific action or behaviour, even if that behaviour is actually legal, if the authorities feel that it is in the interest of the public or a section (however small) of the public. Breaching an ASBO can result in a prison sentence, even if no law has been broken. There is an article on Wikipedia here.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

Well, this is real life. Try to smoke a cigarette on a playground while children and their parents are around...

Apparently, his bare legs were not the initial offense, but have to be seen in the context of hanging around at a school in unusual outfits, including a coat with apparently nothing underneath. No matter, wether they were right or not, I can understand, that the parents were concerned about the safety of their children.
Last edited by Mindermast on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Does that ban go for SHORTS too?? Say knee length 6 pocket camoflage sports shorts for instance?? :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

I doubt the ban specifically mentions shorts..

Picture, if you will, man in his 60s/70s (he looks 70s) wearing what is basically a schoolgirl outfit, (with a miniskirt length skirt), spending serious time hanging around the local primary school. it was not a pretty site in the 2-3 pics I saw.
Gmerc

Post by Gmerc »

Post deleted
Last edited by Gmerc on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I didn't see what this present magilla is about, but there was a story about 2 years ago about an very old man in a schoolgirl outfit hanging around the street crossings in the UK near schools making lewd remarks to children. I was under the obviously wrong assumption that this new story was not the same old story that it's really starting to sound like and not anything new. Please tell me this is something new and someone is not just dragging up old stories because he's bored and wants to tell new people to pump himself up with these kinds of stories??? I really hope I'm wrong and this really IS something new. :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Gmerc

Post by Gmerc »

Post deleted
Last edited by Gmerc on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Gmerc wrote:It was new to me, that's why I asked the questions.

Graham
but old to us.....
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Graham, maybe you should check the dates on posts before you assume they are current and need re-hashing. :blue:

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:Graham, maybe you should check the dates on posts before you assume they are current and need re-hashing.
And your point is?

This is the Internet; "old news" has a habit of becoming new again. Search the BBC's archives for the story about a man who was legally compelled to marry a goat (I am not making this up); the story has "come back" into the "most read" category at least twice.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:Graham, maybe you should check the dates on posts before you assume they are current and need re-hashing. :blue:
Skip,

You're being a little unreasonable. Graham said he caught something in the news and than he shared that with us. The date was 3 Feb when he posted. The BBC news article to which I provided a link is dated 2 Feb; how current does he need to be? While the original story of the ASBO is a couple of years old, the quashing of his prison sentence was bang up to date; a new chapter in an old story.

Personally I'm glad Graham shared this, it only made local news and I would not have been aware of this update without his post. I regard ASBOs as a very nasty piece of legislation that allows the authorities to make an action illegal for a named individual without recourse to legislation and with very few safeguards. The concept of all being equal before the law goes right out of the window as you could have two people behaving identically in the same place at the same time and if one has an ASBO he could be sent to prison while the other has done nothing wrong and faces no sanction. Because this fundamental inequality of treatment flies in the face of my belief in fairness, I have a strong interest in cases that set precedents in ASBO law.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:I regard ASBOs as a very nasty piece of legislation that allows the authorities to make an action illegal for a named individual without recourse to legislation and with very few safeguards.
Indeed. When I first read about the notion of ASBOs in UK law my blood ran cold for fear that they might make it to this side of the Atlantic. The probability of abuse is just too high for these sorts of notions to be allowed to continue. I can see the use of the "Restraining Order" (a notion in many States' laws here in the US) where a judge can order an individual to stay away from another (mainly used for spousal abuse and harassment cases) or face criminal sanction, but these are not typically used in the way one reads about ASBOs being used.

I suspect that like most "bad law" tools like ASBOs need to be struck down.

OK, enough of that rant. Sorry.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Everybody is so paranoid about child abuse that I as a man make it a point to never walk close to a playground or a school. You don't want to give the police any excuse to hassle you.

John
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Do "dads" never go to fetch their kids from school in your part of the world?

I was nearly always the one to get ours from primary school, not in a skirt, I must admit, in those days.
By the time the first grandchild came along however, I was always skirted and often went to meet her from school. While the weather was still good in september, I used to cyvcle there with a trailer behind for the girl. Showed plenty of leg then -- no complaints !

Martin