Vogue: Men, Skirts Aren’t That Scary—Promise!

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Vogue: Men, Skirts Aren’t That Scary—Promise!

Post by Coder »

https://www.vogue.com/article/mens-skirts-how-to-wear

Excellent article, though I find one fault - if he can’t find a woman’s skirt that doesn’t fit, he’s looking in the wrong places.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Vogue: Men, Skirts Aren’t That Scary—Promise!

Post by STEVIE »

Nope, nothing that's frightening here, apart from the prices, that is.
As for the sizing for women, does he consider size 6 big, bigger, biggest?
Steve.
steamman

Post by steamman »

I find it odd he has trouble finding “women’s skirts” that fit! If you have a waist and two legs, you are compatible with any skirt.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

steamman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:15 am I find it odd he has trouble finding “women’s skirts” that fit! If you have a waist and two legs, you are compatible with any skirt.
I know what he means, though. Often they fit - as in you can put them on - but they aren't a good fit as they are designed for a differently-shaped torso. This applies especially to straight ones. Denim skirts tend to be A-line, so they are usually fine.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Also surprised that he is struggling to find something that fits. Women are by their nature have wider hips.
Are they saying; unless you are a size 4 in New York you won't find anything?
I got a glare from my better half this morning. When asked what problem was. She (eventually) said. Men look good in skirts. They have thin legs and small bums. It's not easy being a girl and very self conscious.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:01 pmI got a glare from my better half this morning. When asked what problem was. She (eventually) said. Men look good in skirts. They have thin legs and small bums. It's not easy being a girl and very self conscious.
The only conceivable answer to that would have been, "You know what, dear? I love you just the way you are!"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Stu wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 am
steamman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:15 am I find it odd he has trouble finding “women’s skirts” that fit! If you have a waist and two legs, you are compatible with any skirt.
I know what he means, though. Often they fit - as in you can put them on - but they aren't a good fit as they are designed for a differently-shaped torso. This applies especially to straight ones. Denim skirts tend to be A-line, so they are usually fine.
He wrote:
While one could easily shop a women’s skirt, sizing is not always easy to figure out; I’ve attempted to buy some in the largest women’s sizes, only for them to barely fit over my knees
No mention of hip to waist ratio in the article - either he’s looking at brands that are expensive and only cater to the smallest of women, or didn’t consult a size chart. To be fair, size charts are nearly meaningless and one must try on different sizes to find a good fit and some brands measurements are just plain wrong. I suppose he could be describing too short of skirts or a pencil skirt - both won’t fit as nicely as an a-line skirt.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

That article popped up on my Google Now feed yesterday and I was really happy to read it until I got to the list of skirts and prices at the end. Really dude, that's not going to encourage guys to give it a try. I get similar articles written for women in my feed, and the clothing links are always a mix of prices. I know the website gets a cut of the sale if you follow those links, but why not pick out some stuff guys would actually spend some disposable income on? "Most guys" probably don't read Vogue though, so maybe I'm just living a different reality.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:02 pm That article popped up on my Google Now feed yesterday and I was really happy to read it until I got to the list of skirts and prices at the end. Really dude, that's not going to encourage guys to give it a try. I get similar articles written for women in my feed, and the clothing links are always a mix of prices. I know the website gets a cut of the sale if you follow those links, but why not pick out some stuff guys would actually spend some disposable income on? "Most guys" probably don't read Vogue though, so maybe I'm just living a different reality.
Yep! I was just about to add a comment like this. He obviously has disposable income or a generous clothing stipend from his employer. To casually talk about purchasing $400 on up clothes? Still, I feel like this will trickle down eventually and given enough interest common retailers will eventually give it a try “this summer” (bit of sarcasm there, if you can’t tell).

I suppose it could be a way of making click-revenue, but I presume his employer gets that money, and he just gets paid normally? Would be curious to know how this all works.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:56 pmNo mention of hip to waist ratio in the article - either he’s looking at brands that are expensive and only cater to the smallest of women, or didn’t consult a size chart. To be fair, size charts are nearly meaningless and one must try on different sizes to find a good fit and some brands measurements are just plain wrong. I suppose he could be describing too short of skirts or a pencil skirt - both won’t fit as nicely as an a-line skirt.
These sorts of sizing shenanigans are what made my late ex- comment on the process: "It's trial by fitting-room." and the apropos crack of, "Women's sizing is a black art. It'll be interesting to see if you can get your head around it, because I can't!" And she was no dummy!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:01 pm She (eventually) said. Men look good in skirts. They have thin legs and small bums.
A lady at church unexpectedly commented to me that she liked men in skirts, but added a partly inaudible comment about shoes; I think I know what she was getting at and I tend to agree. Men's shoes are OK with a kilt and thick socks, but they often look wrong with skirts (and tights), and I find myself tending to wear boots, either ankle-height or to the knee.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:01 pm She (eventually) said. Men look good in skirts. They have thin legs and small bums.
A lady at church unexpectedly commented to me that she liked men in skirts, but added a partly inaudible comment about shoes; I think I know what she was getting at and I tend to agree. Men's shoes are OK with a kilt and thick socks, but they often look wrong with skirts (and tights), and I find myself tending to wear boots, either ankle-height or to the knee.
For me it's comfort over looks. I don't think I could handle a pair of sling backs anyway.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Coder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:19 am https://www.vogue.com/article/mens-skirts-how-to-wear

Excellent article, though I find one fault - if he can’t find a woman’s skirt that doesn’t fit, he’s looking in the wrong places.
He clearly isn’t trying skirts with an elasticated waist either. I have never had a problem finding skirts that fit (all purchased from the women’s side of the aisle) but they all bar one have elasticated waists.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:50 pm
Coder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:19 am https://www.vogue.com/article/mens-skirts-how-to-wear

He clearly isn’t trying skirts with an elasticated waist either. I have never had a problem finding skirts that fit (all purchased from the women’s side of the aisle) but they all bar one have elasticated waists.
He may also be realizing what I’ve found. And I think we’ve all found. Women’s sizing is crack. Nothing is ever equivalent between companies stuff
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

great to see attempts being made to get into skirts though!

well from the opinion of someone who has a 'bigger bum' / proper hips its still hard to get a great skirt fit sometimes! (I started the HRT journey at a young age so I have a figure)

skirts/dresses are mostly tailored so they do fit your shape - and there are so many variations of shape...
the problem exists for all of us and our figures need the right styles to suit your figure.

its a bit easier with hips but its not a one size fits all!!

I suspect thats why many women do not make effort nowadays - its harder in terms of getting a fit because they have sooo much choice.

cheers
NZF