Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Post by denimini »

Oh no, I have just had another outbreak of nostalgia. I have some resistance to it but no immunity.
I did have a mini (car) given to me by a couple going overseas, sadly the engine consumed more oil than fuel and lacked power. It was imperative to maintain momentum to get anywhere in reasonable time which included not slowing at roundabouts, which thankfully it was capable of.

Sadly I was not aware of the joy of the of mini skirts then.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Just had a thought about the comments on manual boxes dying out, of course they will, so will all forms of automatic. In the Yuk, sorry UK this is going to happen in 2030, when the sale of infernal combustionating engines comes into force. If the politicians(spit!) don't change their minds, there will be only be hybrids and EVs available. And fossils will be able to rest easy, without worrying about being suck, squeeze, bang & puffed, which must be a horrible way to end a few million years of solid snoozing! Unless they get to be disturbed and pushed through a power station of course!
Oh, and if I remember correctly 2035 will be drop dead day for the sale of new hybrids.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Coder, I don't know who your friend works for and the number of manuals may be declining where you are but they are still showing no sign of declining here. Automatics are, and are perceived to be, more thirsty than manuals and we are more geared to wanting higher mpg. Of course gearboxes have evolved and the distinction between autos and manuals has blurred. The ability to set different "modes" such as sporty, eco has added some complexity to any definitions.

Tom, I am aware that after so many years driving manuals I instinctively know which gear I am in at all times. I can tell from the position of the gear lever which gear is selected. Also when going up or down the gears I often skip gears going from say, third to fifth or fifth to second when braking. I select the gear appropriate to my speed.

As regards to the title of the thread racing cars can have skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:20 am As regards to the title of the thread racing cars can have skirts.
Quite so, and road cars too. In seaches for mini skirts I have had results turn up in the category of Body Mouldings, and they weren't referring to the human body.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

How about hovercraft? That famous pic. of Marylin Monroe standing over an updraught of hot air from a grid went 'viral'. Hovercraft skirts are designed to hold the compressed air in and levitate the craft.
I remember B&W films of 'Old Mother Reilly' in my childhood. 'She' was played by a bloke and I remember particularly a parachute scene where her skirts were ballooning out during the descent and there came the banal joke....'I don't know where the air is coming from but I do know where it's going'!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:51 pm Just had a thought about the comments on manual boxes dying out, of course they will, so will all forms of automatic. In the Yuk, sorry UK this is going to happen in 2030, when the sale of infernal combustionating engines comes into force. If the politicians(spit!) don't change their minds, there will be only be hybrids and EVs available. And fossils will be able to rest easy, without worrying about being suck, squeeze, bang & puffed, which must be a horrible way to end a few million years of solid snoozing! Unless they get to be disturbed and pushed through a power station of course!
Oh, and if I remember correctly 2035 will be drop dead day for the sale of new hybrids.
Talking of grids, the National Grid wouldn't cope if everyone switched to electric vehicles, the draw on energy from everyone charging will ovetwhelm the network :shock: Porsche and Siemens are looking into synthetic fuels to replace dinosaur juice so the combustion engine may live on! The Prime Minister is only pushing the EV stuff due to being badgered by his Eco Activist wife :roll: Range and charging times are an issue.

I like Lewis Hamilton's outfit, but it's not a kilt. And any skirt worn with trousers defeats the purpose. At those prices, it's just better buying across the aisle 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:34 pm ... the National Grid wouldn't cope if everyone switched to electric vehicles, the draw on energy from everyone charging will ovetwhelm the network
A rough calculation shows that just to power the cars and vans in the UK would require a third as much electrical energy again as we use at present.  As for heavy transport, nobody's even considering that.

Another point which doesn't seem to have been considered is what happens when hydrogen is burned in air: it produces NOX.  If it is oxidised in a fuel cell, the efficiency of the overall process bcomes very poor and a lot of energy will be wasted overcoming the losses.  The clueless politicians are being led up the garden path by ignorant 'activists' and their stupidity is being imposed on us by law.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

pelmut wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:56 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:34 pm ... the National Grid wouldn't cope if everyone switched to electric vehicles, the draw on energy from everyone charging will ovetwhelm the network
A rough calculation shows that just to power the cars and vans in the UK would require a third as much electrical energy again as we use at present.  As for heavy transport, nobody's even considering that.

Another point which doesn't seem to have been considered is what happens when hydrogen is burned in air: it produces NOX.  If it is oxidised in a fuel cell, the efficiency of the overall process bcomes very poor and a lot of energy will be wasted overcoming the losses.  The clueless politicians are being led up the garden path by ignorant 'activists' and their stupidity is being imposed on us by law.
Okay, I don't understand that, how does burning hydrogen produce NOX? burning is oxidisation, hydrogen plus oxygen = water. What am I missing? I know that producing or splitting the hydrogen takes energy, but I hadn't heard of NOX being a side effect.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:08 amOkay, I don't understand that, how does burning hydrogen produce NOX? burning is oxidisation, hydrogen plus oxygen = water. What am I missing? I know that producing or splitting the hydrogen takes energy, but I hadn't heard of NOX being a side effect.
The oxides of Nitrogen are a side effect of the oxidiser being pulled from the atmosphere which is mostly nitrogen. Yes, pure hydrogen/oxygen combustion produces heat and water, but what we pull from the air is only about 21% oxygen with the bulk of the rest being nitrogen.

As far as plug-in chargeable electric cars, I routinely get my arse in a sling for referring to those as REVs (Relocated Emissions Vehicles) instead of "Zero Emissions" because all plugging into the power grid does is move the tailpipe from the car to the nearest fossil-fuel burning generating station -- of which there are still a heck of a lot of in the USA. If it was all solar/wind/hydro/nuclear my opinion would be a bit different, but until the extraction industry drags the last drop of oil and the last lump of coal out of the ground that mentality isn't going to change.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, I see where pelmut and you are coming from on the NOX issue. Logical. But surely if you are pulling in more N2 than O2, with an excess of H2 you would get a mixture of H2O and NH compounds, NH3, ammonia being probably the main one of them. There being insufficient O2 for HNO compounds and the Hydrogen being very reactive to Oxygen.

Another of pelmut's points regarding the replacement for the various diesel engines populating our roads. The battery/electric engine combinations ca be powerful but I have not seen any articles on electric developments in this area. Without them, nett zero is a fantasy. Currently there are disagreements between our PM and Chancellor about the costs of nett zero and diminishing returns on investment in this. Approaching the frosty relationship between Blair and Brown but without Brown's superior power structure. Personally I think that true nett zero will be impossible without the cost being so high as being unaffordable to, not only the country, but its populace. Can you imagine every home being able to afford £10k, or even £5k to replace their gas boilers? It may be preferable to aim a bit lower for nett reduction.

A comment of yours prompted a thought. Lubrication. I know that synthetic oils have been on the market for decades and lubricating oils can be recycled and cleaned up, but a large proportion of lubes still come from, well, oil. Production, and research into, synthetics will need to be ramped up to identify alternative sources. But no doubt these will be plant-based which will mean another few million square miles of forest being cleared and replanted with suitable oil-sourced plants. Progress? Not really.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:17 pmCarl, I see where pelmut and you are coming from on the NOX issue. Logical. But surely if you are pulling in more N2 than O2, with an excess of H2 you would get a mixture of H2O and NH compounds, NH3, ammonia being probably the main one of them. There being insufficient O2 for HNO compounds and the Hydrogen being very reactive to Oxygen.
It turns out that's not the way it works in practise because the formation of the oxides of Nitrogen normally happen at higher temperatures than are typically reached, at least with conventional hydrocarbons, although diesels can -- and do -- produce oxides of nitrogen and that needs ancillary clobber to cleanse before the exhaust leaves the stack. Also, proper air/fuel mixture is very important.

The place my dad used to work had hydrogen-fired furnaces, and there wasn't a problem with ammonia emission from those. Ammonia was used to produce the hydrogen (by cracking) that was being burned as ammonia is easier to store that compressed gaseous hydrogen, and ammonia didn't scare the neighbours as badly as the thought of hydrogen in the neighbourhood (there was that unfortunate event at Lakehurst a few years ago that gave the substance a bad name). (Of course ammonia has its difficulties, too.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:00 pm ...(there was that unfortunate event at Lakehurst a few years ago that gave the substance a bad name).
The survival rate from that one was a lot higher than the survival rate of most aeroplane crashes that are bad enough to destroy the entire craft.
(Of course ammonia has its difficulties, too.)
I remember several streets in the centre of Bath being evacuated because of an ammonia leak in the refrigeration plant of a restaurant's cold room.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:08 am ... I hadn't heard of NOX being a side effect.
The 'hydrogen economy' loonies either don't understand enough basic science to realise it -- or they do realise it and are keeping quiet about it because it doesn't suit their cause.  Hydrogen isn't a source of energy, it's just a way of storing and transporting energy and it is a very inefficient one with lots of pollution and technological issues that have been completely ignored.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

pelmut wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:56 pm A rough calculation shows that just to power the cars and vans in the UK would require a third as much electrical energy again as we use at present.  As for heavy transport, nobody's even considering that.
That sounds about right. The estimate here is that to electrify everything will require around double the network capacity we currently have (well, had in 2010). Electrification of the vehicles is considered the easy bit and will probably be mostly ready by 2030 (requiring only 30% growth). But then again, we started upgrading our grid to support the expected growth over a decade ago. If you're starting now (which apparently some countries are) it will be very hard to reach the target by 2030. That's basically bad planning.

Fortunately, no-one is talking about banning fossil fuel cars, only the sale of new ones. So there will be fossil fuel cars on the roads for decades to come.
pelmut wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:56 pm Another point which doesn't seem to have been considered is what happens when hydrogen is burned in air: it produces NOX.  If it is oxidised in a fuel cell, the efficiency of the overall process bcomes very poor and a lot of energy will be wasted overcoming the losses.
Let's not overstate the issue shall we. To quote the part of the opening paragraph of wikipedia:
Hydrogen does not contain carbon. That means, that there are no carbon based pollution in the exhaust like carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2) and hydrocarbons (HC). However, hydrogen combustion with air produces oxides of nitrogen, known as NOx, lower than every emission regulation. In this way, the combustion process is much like other high temperature combustion fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, diesel or natural gas. As such hydrogen combustion engines are not considered zero emission.
Incidentally, the hydrogen fuel cell may be only 40-60% efficient, but that's still double the efficiency of an ICE. Hydrogen cars are stupid though, hydrogen should only be used in situations were batteries are not feasible, like planes.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:52 pm [...]
pelmut wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:56 pm Another point which doesn't seem to have been considered is what happens when hydrogen is burned in air: it produces NOX.  If it is oxidised in a fuel cell, the efficiency of the overall process bcomes very poor and a lot of energy will be wasted overcoming the losses.
Let's not overstate the issue shall we. To quote the part of the opening paragraph of wikipedia:
Hydrogen does not contain carbon. That means, that there are no carbon based pollution in the exhaust like carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2) and hydrocarbons (HC). However, hydrogen combustion with air produces oxides of nitrogen, known as NOx, lower than every emission regulation. In this way, the combustion process is much like other high temperature combustion fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, diesel or natural gas. As such hydrogen combustion engines are not considered zero emission.
Bath (UK) has just restricted diesel vans and buses because the city's NOX levels are too high.  Presumably they will have to ban hydrogen-powered cars in future.
Incidentally, the hydrogen fuel cell may be only 40-60% efficient, but that's still double the efficiency of an ICE.
That doesn't take into account the inefficiency of the processes that produce the hydrogen (e.g. electricity generating plants).