Skirts at the Olympics

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Skirts at the Olympics

Post by skirtingtoday »

I didn't see all of the opening ceremony but did spot several countries with skirted men.
Tonga
Fiji
American Samoa.

Did anyone spot any others?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts at the Olympics

Post by Big and Bashful »

My TV hasn't even been turned on today. The weather is just too good!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
aussie08

Post by aussie08 »

Dear Skirtingtoday,
Yes I did watch the whole Opening Ceremony, being "Down Under" in Australia, which finished around 01:30a.m. (my time).
It was wonderful to see that some of the Nations, wore their "national" dress {or the Flag bearers}, or even stylized versions. You mentioned the Pacific Islands, but also the Arab states in their long robes, looked wonderful.
And by the way the use of technology with the over one thousand drones, as the Japanese could do.
All in all the programme reflected the Japanese Culture, and was sympathetic to the world situation at the present.
Aussie
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

skirtingtoday wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm I didn't see all of the opening ceremony but did spot several countries with skirted men.
Tonga
Fiji
American Samoa.

Did anyone spot any others?
Good Morning ST
I haven't seen anything of it but were there no Kilts in evidence?
Now I am going a bit pedantic I'm afraid to say.
These aren't skirts in the accepted sense.
They are skirted garments which are culturally accepted as menswear and not indicative of fashion freedom in a wider sense.
However, I am sure that they added immensely to the diversity, pageantry and spectacle of the ceremony too.
Sorry Old Chum, but my thoughts reflect "Mr V Meldrew" a bit more each day.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

As for other countries who's competitors wore their national (skirted) attire, I think that Vanuatu did.
Nice little country. I have been there.