Hot Topics Forum?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Hot Topics Forum?

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I know some are uneasy about discussing politics & religion but in the current world climate its kind of hard to avoid such things. I for one have neber been one who's found it easy to keep quiet about such things but that's because I'm political to the core. I know others like discussing politics, religion & philosophy but we are all being told to pipe down round these parts because some are uneasy with such discussions. Well here's a suggested compromise how anbout a 'hot topics' forum where such subjects can be discussed freely & where there is a warning its best not to enter if folk are uneasy about discussing such subjects.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

That idea has already been considered in the past, and we decided against it. We will not have a "hot topics" forum, nor will politics and religion be considered appropriate topics for discussion at SkirtCafe.

As for the thread I just removed --- it consisted of nothing but politics and religion at the end, and therefore needed to be closed.

I took the additional step of removing it because the tone of the thread was problematic to begin with. It discussed another website in a disparigaing way, and it is policy at SkirtCafe to not disparage other websites, no matter what I or anyone else might think about them. While we're here, we should work to make THIS website the best it can be; tearing other people down helps no one. If people wish to add constructive comments to other websites, they should engage in discussion with the members and leadership of those sites.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Bob wrote:we should work to make THIS website the best it can be
what do you mean by best?

folk first object to freestyling being discussed now they're having a tantrum about politics being discussed
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

SkirtDude wrote::roll: Why? There are tons of other forums and blogs out there devoted to politics and religion.
in response to that kind of attitude
HockeySkirt

Post by HockeySkirt »

Good call Bob!

I'm all for discussing controversial topics, but history has shown time and time again that discussions on religion and politics repeatedly turns into bad tempered bickering, and thus an annoying side show. I remember months of tedious political bickering on Tom's during 2003 until it was outlawed.

You the man!

Ed
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Ziggy, why not have a hot topics forum on your site? That way the work of keeping things civil falls on you rather than Bob and Carl.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

[quote="Bob"]

As for the thread I just removed --- it consisted of nothing but politics and religion at the end, and therefore needed to be closed.

quote]

Thank you for removing the thread.

I visit this site for encouragement, ideas, and friendly chat. I have far too much stress in my life to deal with hot topics here.

You made a good call.

PatJ
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

To ziggy, nothing wrong with the idea, but I too just as other forum members agree that there are enough other forums specifically for that. Having it here in no way brings anything positive with it to this skirt cafe. We have enough discussions without also the very problematic topics of politics and religion.

I feel that we are better off with out discussions on politics / religion, but it is / can be positive to discuss them, only not here.

Thank you Bob.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

There was no discussion of the semantics of politics as such. Ziggy's politics and mine are worlds apart - we do not discuss them here. However, as far as UK persona are concerned, there is indeed much relevance to what we, as a group, are trying to achieve. The stand point of a potential leader of a major party is important. Therefore, that person's credibility affects us all (esp. those of us in the UK).

As for criticism (or discussion) of any religion, none took place, just historical clarification of primarily cultural aspects (which is widely acknowledged by contemporary religious historians, anyway). It is very much aspects of various religions which have brought about the general view of "Skirts are for women, Tr*users are for men" attitude, that we are trying to overcome, are we not? I am extremely disappointed in the negative, knee-jerk(?) reaction that appears to have followed, and I hope that the damage done to this forum by this action, will not affect its future well-being.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

merlin wrote:It is very much aspects of various religions which have brought about the general view of "Skirts are for women, Tr*users are for men" attitude,
Perhaps my perspective is skewed because I would consider myself a "religious person" (according to my own definition of the term), but I don't see that religion as such has had that much of a role in attitudes towards the idea of men in skirts. Most people here (USA) would, I believe, not express their approval or disapproval of men in skirts in religious terms.

Now, there are those in this country who would express their disapproval in religious terms, but I believe that these are the same people who disapprove of an enormous number of things in modern USA society and are in the habit of couching their objections in religious terms. I see these people as (so to speak) putting their own prejudices into God's mouth, as people have done for millenia.

In either case, the source of the objections to men in skirts is not really religious but rather cultural (or personal/psychological.) While it might be interesting to compile a list of the religious rationalizations for this prejudice, I don't think it would get us any closer to understanding why people feel the way they do, let alone changing their minds.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Another bit on the politics issue --- this forum is international, with big contingents from the USA and the UK as well as other countries. Heated political discussions between people from the UK are barely even understandable to Americans, and vice versa. As a community, we don't even have a shared base that would allow us to discuss politics in a meaningful manner.

The major source of objection to men's skirts is in our head. We've had posted here account after account of positive skirted outings, with only a small number of negative experiences. One we do it, we find that people still treat us like human beings, even if we're wearing a skirt. That's all I really want.