FreestyleCafe --- Ideas, anyone?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I would still like the idea of, if one views a topic they should post at least one response. But the response doesn't have to be at that moment. So the viewer can have time to think of a cogent response.
I've got a better idea. Whenever anyone starts a new thread, they give up all idea of controlling who views it, who just ignores it and who posts replies to it. Forever.

Sounds good to me. :wink:
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Ideas

Post by Peter v »

If any one enters his opinion, it's there for those who want to read it.

Having a compulsary reaction to it will only clog up the whole forum, or will prevent people reading it, because people don't like being forced to do anything.

Seeing how many times something has been vieuwed works very well.
Having only reactions given freely is the best way to get only the reactions you hoped for.

I thought this was thought out when people first learned how to make forums on the net.

But it doesn't hurt to talk about these things in a cafe.

Have a nice day.
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Yes, if you try to force people to respond you will either stop them viewing or fill up the thread with dross from people who haven't actualy got anything to say. Recently I haven't posted much but have read most of what is posted. If I have something to say which people might want to read then I will post, but I seem to be lacking inspiration at the moment and why post when you have nothing to post about?
See, tha's quite a lot of words and I haven't said much. Sort of proves my point I think
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Being an engineer...

Post by ChrisM »

Being an engineer I actually find it interesting to glance at the statistics for a given thread, and note the Viewed/Replied ratio. Generally this runs in teh neighborhood of 100:1, and you can learn something when it deviates a lot from this. On some forums I have found threads with X:0 ratios, but that usually means that the originally message is a 'news bulletin' and not the beginning of a conversation. Ratios like 10:1 suggest some sort of very hot topic.

I do not recall ever having seen a viewed/replied ratio of 1:1

Chris