Many Changes

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Many Changes

Post by Bob »

Fellow SkirtCafeterians... I have completed an overhaul of SkirtCafe, which should reflect who we have become in the past year and where we are going in the future. Please feel free to comment and criticize:

1. There is a new "Introductions" forum specifically for new members to introduce themselves. Old members, please welcome new members there. This will make the Cafe more welcoming to new members. A few recent "introduction" threads have been moved to this forum.

2. The Cafe rules have been modified somewhat and posted as a sticky under "Introductions." To those who have been around a while, there is nothing really new or surprising there; but please consider looking them over again.

3. The text at the top has changed. There is now a link to the rules sticky.

4. The conversion from vBulletin is pretty well complete, so the bold text to that effect has been shortened. The administrator email is always prominently displayed, for anyone who might need technical assistance.

5. "Kiltorama" has been renamed to "Kilts, Kilts."

6. There is now a space for the ladies. This is experimental, we will see how it goes, the rules might need to be tweaked a bit. In general, this is a place for the ladies. For now, I'm asking that men only start topics when asking advice or opinions of women. Once a thread has started, men should reply to threads if it seems we've been invited to do so.

7. There is now a Freestyle forum for "less masculine" fashions. In principle, this forum is not needed: all fashions choices have always been acceptable on SkirtCafe, as long as men are presenting as men. However, some have felt that discussions of fashions we might consider "less masculine" --- say a frilly nightgown --- are less than accepted at SkirtCafe. So now there is a forum just for that topic. This is experimental, we will see how it goes.

The new Freestyle Fashion forum does not change in any way the underlying principles of SkirtCafe. SkirtCafe does not judge what is and is not "masculine," and accepts all fashion choices for men. Moreover, SkirtCafe has never been about and is not about transvestite stuff or cross-dressing. We are committed to fashion freedom for men.

8. Private Messagine is now enabled. I don't have much experience with using it yet in phpBB, but hopefully it will be pretty easy for us all to pick up. Unfortunately, PM message boxes are not very big, and as of this time, I do not have any (easy) ways to transfer PM's to email. Moreover, I will make a best effort to preserve members' private messages; however, I can make no guarantees that they will not be accidentally lost in the future. It is still possible to email members through a web form, as before.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Thanks!

Post by Stevie D »

Bob - I can see you've been busy.
This is probably a good a time as any for me to say a personal 'thanks' for all the hard work you put in to running and maintaining this forum.

Best wishes
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Thanks!

Post by Big and Bashful »

Steve D wrote:Bob - I can see you've been busy.
This is probably a good a time as any for me to say a personal 'thanks' for all the hard work you put in to running and maintaining this forum.

Best wishes
I second that!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Ooooooooooooooh . . . . it's all different . . . . I'm scared . . . . :shock:

Only joking! I'd like to join with the other in offering my heartfelt gratitude for all of the time and hard work that you put in this forum Bob. And also for your wisdom and general good vibes. You'll get to go to heaven now - deffo.

I got a small item that I'd like to mention. In the Freestyle Fashion header the text says:

For the discussion of fashions we might consider "less masculine," while always presenting as a man. This is NOT crossdressing.

Personally I would prefer it if it read:

For the discussion of fashions we might consider look "less masculine," while always presenting as a man. This is NOT crossdressing.

As 'freestyle' fashions are not less masculine in themselves, although they may look less masculine. Do you see what I mean? I'm not sure if I have put that very well.

It's a minor quibble. I'm just being a bit picky. Nevertheless, I think it's a valid point.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

ChristopherJ wrote:For the discussion of fashions we might consider look "less masculine," while always presenting as a man. This is NOT crossdressing.

As 'freestyle' fashions are not less masculine in themselves, although they may look less masculine. Do you see what I mean? I'm not sure if I have put that very well.

It's a minor quibble. I'm just being a bit picky. Nevertheless, I think it's a valid point.
I think Bob gave enough wiggle room with the "might consider" part but we as a group don't think that way. Pickier me would go so far as saying *other people* might find things less masculine. A guy in Hello Kitty ponytail holders :D is still looks like a guy to me but that is not the average opinion, not yet anyway.

Thank you for the changes Bob, and so soon.

Quiet Mouse
crfriend
Master Barista

Well done!

Post by crfriend »

Bob -- I like the new organisation and layout. It's quite an improvement from before. I also think the adds of the new area is a big win as well. Thanks!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Flippin' heck, Bob! I 'disappear' for a few days and come back to find an excellent re-vamp! 10/10 for the 're-alignment', too! :D
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Bob-tastic!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Bob - thank you for changing the title details of the Freestyle folder of the forum. I think it reads very well now and no longer implies that freestyle fashions are less masculine (whatever that is) in themselves, but that "some might consider that they look" like that. Great.

BTW - today I've noticed that the small icons to the left of each post are not showing the new posts. That is, the 'new posts' icon is not being displayed.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Ooops, Bob

Post by binx »

We have misspelling in the sentence "Please also look here for forum priniples and rules." for the heading to the Introductions forum...

binx
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Picky Quibbles

Post by Since1982 »

There are tons of people out in internet land that will pick at us for just being men in skirts, we really don't need to pick at each other for semantic quibbles. :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Picky Quibbles

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:There are tons of people out in internet land that will pick at us for just being men in skirts, we really don't need to pick at each other for semantic quibbles. :roll:
Binx called a legitimate gripe there (Thanks, Binx!). At the very least, we should get our spelling and grammar right lest we look sloppy and disheveled to the casual reader. It's bad enough that we already appear "strange" to the average westerner because of our apparel; let's not appear illiterate to boot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!