Custom Ranks

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Custom Ranks

Post by Bob »

Right now, each user is "ranked" based on total number of posts: Member, Acitive Member, Senior Member, Member Extraordinaire.

This is kind of generic.

I'd like to see if we can brainstorm other sets of ranks that would be more fahion or skirt specific. But it also needs to convey what we want to convey about who we are.

For starters, I'll give one example, but I'm not sure it's really what we want in the end:
* Miniskirt
* Kilt
* Calf-Length
* To the Ankles

just toget the creative juices flowing...
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Perhaps we could have a progressive series of locations to indicate an individuals visibility in the community. How about:

In the closet
In the house
In the garden
In small shops
At the shopping mall
Out with mates
Anywhere and everywhere

The granularity of this could easily be changed to increase or decrease the number of levels and I suspect that some of the more creative folks on here will be able to come up with a far better progression of locations but you get the idea.

Have fun,

Ian.

(Typo corrected - Ian)
Last edited by Milfmog on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

We used to be able to choose our own "description"s before!

If we cannot do that, then I'd much prefer it to stay exactly the way it is, otherwise it'd start to look like IMFF. Not really sure why it's there anyway - in a 'worst case' scenario, it'd probably put newcomers off posting at all. :(
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

merlin wrote:If we cannot do that, then I'd much prefer it to stay exactly the way it is, otherwise it'd start to look like IMFF. Not really sure why it's there anyway - in a 'worst case' scenario, it'd probably put newcomers off posting at all. :(
I'll second Merlin's sentiment on this one. Not having the "classification" obviously linked to the number of posts tends to level the playing field a little bit and doesn't discourage newcomers who may feel like they're "on probation" until they reach a "higher" classification level. The number of posts submitted by a user is shown anyway, so linking it to a classification is somewhat redundant.

I also like the notion of being able to set our own description/classification in our profile (which used to be possible in vBulletin). I'd rather be known as "just a(nother) bloke in a skirt" than a "member extraordinaire" which points up my activity level needlessly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Generic is fine with me. Make your avatar symbolize your skirting preference. Now where's that "Teddy" one....?

binx
Crazee

Post by Crazee »

>SkirtDude:
>As a side note, is there a way to make a bulleted list in using this forum software?

Yup. You have 3 variations of lists:

Unordered list is like this:
[list]
[*]first item
[*]second item
[*]third item
[/list]

Ordered list
[list=1]
[*]First item
[*]Second item
[*]Third item
[/list]

Alphabetical list:
[list=a]
[*]The first item
[*]The second item
[*]The third item
[/list]
Crazee

Post by Crazee »

And as for ranking based on number of posts, it can be fun, if the ranks are made with humour and not to be taken too seriously. Not something about how "bold" you are, if you're out there or not, or a more valuable member of the forum -- just some fun titles or something.

Not that I have any particular ideas at the moment...
  1. Curious
  2. Warming up
  3. Confident
  4. Well known
  5. Famous
  6. Infamous
  7. Guru
(Well - just had to try an ordered list :wink: )
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

and
  • 8. Skirt God
:D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
beverlonian

Post by beverlonian »

I've always considered these "rankings" a little bit false since there are many who simply post "Welcome", "Congratulations", "Nice pics" etc (I include other forums here) which seem to be merely ways advancing through these "ranks". This in turn sets off a whole new run of meaningless "congratulations".

If the rankings could be limited to meaningful posts, then I am all for it, but somehow I don't think the others could be filtered out.
Joe

There are many ways to get from A to B. It's not the destination, it's the journey that counts.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Since they are only based on post numbers then perhaps "Chattier than Skip" could be a category? Not that it would ever be needed. :wink:

Quiet Mouse