The birthdays!

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Ingemar

The birthdays!

Post by Ingemar »

Hi!

Yesterday I suddenly realised that the birtdayadverticements wasn´t taken over by the Skirt Café from Tom´s. Could that still be made?

Greetings

Ingemar
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Wasn't taken over

Post by Since1982 »

No mention of my birthday on the 1st of November so I guess the new ownership of the site doesn't bother remembering our b-days. Sad, that was one of the more personal and friendly things about Tom's. :(
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Ingemar

Hope something happens!

Post by Ingemar »

Hi!

I posted about it to have that feature added.

Greetings

Ingemar
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Post by trainman »

Since1982 wrote:No mention of my birthday on the 1st of November so I guess the new ownership of the site doesn't bother remembering our b-days. Sad, that was one of the more personal and friendly things about Tom's. :(
Happy B-day, even if it is delayed.
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hey Skip,

A belated "happy birthday" from me. We share our birthday and I was looking forward to dropping in to see if there was a cake next to my coffee mug, but unfortunately life was far too hectic that day and I didn't get the chance :mad:

Oh well, there's always next year.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Long time no post!

Post by binx »

I was about to start a thread asking if anyone's heard from Skip! A very belated but happy happy!:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: Trainman, what's that new vehicle done to you?? (avatar?)

binx
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Unfortunately, a birthday can be a key piece of information needed to identify someone. Put a birthday together with a state and maybe a first name, and you can pretty much figure out who anyone is, and everything else you want to know about them.

Therefore, I feel that it's better if we don't store or advertise birthdays at SkirtCafe, so as to not unwittingly invade peoples' privacy.

That said, I must admit that I have no idea why birthday greeting was not transferred over. If there is overwhelming demand (and an understanding of the privacy risks involved), then I suppose I could do it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bob wrote:Unfortunately, a birthday can be a key piece of information needed to identify someone. Put a birthday together with a state and maybe a first name, and you can pretty much figure out who anyone is, and everything else you want to know about them.
There's an easy way around this, and the software actually allows one to specify whether the birthday is shown or not. There's also an even easier way to control the issue -- lie about it (Aw, dang, that's an awfully strong way of putting it; think of it instead as "Selective Availability" in the GPS sense or "dithering".)
Bob wrote:That said, I must admit that I have no idea why birthday greeting was not transferred over. If there is overwhelming demand (and an understanding of the privacy risks involved), then I suppose I could do it.
The dates of birth made the transition from Tom's to here intact -- I just verified mine to be sure -- so there must be some other switch that needs to get thrown, probably in the "calendar setup" area.

By the by, happy birthday Skip!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ingemar

Post by Ingemar »

Hi!

I would say it like this: It is not compulsory to add birthdate when you create your profile and if a becomming member ads that information he/she automatically allows it to be published aswell.

Greetings

Ingemar
Ingemar

Thanks a lot!

Post by Ingemar »

Thank you for bringing the birthdays to the forum!

Greetings

Ingemar
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

I'll claim two birthdays, just to be different. I was born evening time in the UK but now live in Australia so my English birth date was 23rd December but my Australian one is the 24th. Can I get two birthday presents and a Christmas present too?:rotfl: :dance:
Shalom
Steven
Uncle Al

Birthday Email

Post by Uncle Al »

Thanks to all for my birthday email greeting.
I see quite a few new names, and read that several have left. I haven't visited for several months. I mostly read, chuckle, laugh, and continue on. My new grandson takes as much time as I can give him. My time is split many ways. Work, wife, lodge(holding a office), theatre pipe organ group(also holding an office), gardening, keeping warm during this ice storm, taking care of mother (now in a nursing home), and occasionally playing my Conn 653, 3 manual theatre organ. I may get to start a garden railroad in my back yard this year!?!?!?! To many projects!
Anyway, This is why I haven't posted for a long time, but THANKS! for remembering my 56th birthday!

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)