I've been an a**

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
The Satirist

I've been an a**

Post by The Satirist »

Hey all,

Mainly to Bob,

Sometimes it takes a tragedy to help us realize what we ourselves have done.

I just learned today of CitySkirt's shut down. Going through the threads and reading DanR's site Q&A, I got to thinking... Just a few people albeit very vocal people expressing dissent and hatred caused enough angst to cause a man to shut down an entire portion of his business, made me think of what I did here with the religion section. I really don't even have an interest in religion, but I know that there are those here that do. Enough maybe to even start that section back up. I've gone over the posts and it seems that I alone caused that shut down. So, to Bob, and anyone else interested, if you decide to start that section back up, you can be assured that I'll say nothing more of it. Far be it from me to tell a man what he can do with his own forum. And yes, it is Bob's forum, but I don't mean that in a bad way. I should learn to be grateful for what I have. If you, (Bob), decide to start that section back up, or any other subject, I'll not fight it, but let it alone to succeed or fail on it's own merits.
Freedom since July 3, 2004.

Genius can be recreated - Stupidity is irreplaceable. -The Satirist 2004-
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

I have no idea what you're talking about in connection with a religious forum, but I like your message.

I can really respect someone who reviews their life and their impact on other people's lives and steps up to make a statement like that.

Thanks for being part of the group! It's what keeps me coming back!
WSmac
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Well expressed sentiments, indeed!

I would like to add though, that I don't believe that religion should ever be part of a website such as this. It's 'disappearance' some time ago has made this site so much stronger. I realise that some folk have really struggled with their own twist on their interpretation of some religious texts, but surely that is for their conscience alone?
G.Shaw

Post by G.Shaw »

Respect to you as well friend.
crfriend
Master Barista

Being a *what*?

Post by crfriend »

This is not a case of someone being an "a**", it's a case of someone being human. We all have strong feelings about things around us, and sometimes our feelings aren't in prefect "sync" with the feelings of those around us; this the price of higher thought.

Wiser men than, I'd posit, the lot of us here, have stated that neither religion nor politics should be discussed in polite company. The exact definition of "polite company" is never given, but it may be inferred as meaning "in the company of those whom one would not wish to deliver unintentional offence" (intentional offence is a different animal altogether). Religion and politics are both "hot-button" topics, in which it's astonishingly easy to cause offence when it's not intended -- and it's usually difficult to re-establish civil discourse once the initial offence has been taken.

So, Chuck, you were just being human. And thanks for that. No offence taken (at least in the long term). :)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tim Stannard

just a quick thought

Post by Tim Stannard »

I won't bore you with my views on religion, imho it is no-ones business but your own.
However, I did notice a flurry of opinions as soon as the subject was mentioned.

Some years ago, I suggested widening the scope of the cafe, given that we can easily talk round in circles when it came to Skirts / Kilts etc.

But was told that it was not a good idea.

The community here has got "nose to nose" over the matter of Kilts versus Skirts in the past,
Makes me think perhaps the decision not to go ahead with a religious section was probably the right one.

Just my 2p worth.
Tim.
While I was sitting and reading,
a thought just entered my head,
If I can't wear a skirt while I'm living,
I certainly can't when I'm dead!