Skirts for Men vs. Men in Skirts

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Skirts for Men vs. Men in Skirts

Post by Bob »

Some of you may have noticed, our tag-line recently changed from "Men in Skirts and Kilts" to "Skirts and Kilts for Men". I believe this change better reflects our membership, philosophy and goals. We're not ultimately about men who are SO W***D they would wear skirts; but rather, we're everyday guys looking to see skirts for men become accepted. "Men in Skirts" can imply a kinkiness I don't want. "Skirts for Men" implies more of a fashion website.

OTOH, people often search for "Men in Skirts" when they really want to find our site. However, neither Google search yields us on the first page. This is unfortunate.

So... should be add "Men in Skirts" back to our tagline, for Googling abailities? Or we could bury it in an explanation about how we're NOT "Men in Skirts". Also... how much effort should we put into improving our rankings in Google searches?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

I like it, but....

Post by Since1982 »

I like the new tagline, but I also liked the old tagline. I'm a man in skirts but I don't think I'm weird (If that's what w***d stands for) One teeny pet peeve I DO have is the propensity of many posters lately to use non vulgar or non profane words and add asterisks instead of the actual letters to portray the feeling that these words might be "unfortunate" words when used in conjunction with men who wear skirts instead of trousers. Like "w***d or tr****rs or any other word someone might think fits into that category. I'm not ashamed to be thought weird by narrow minded fools or f**ls if you prefer that. Some longer words when all the middle letters are replaced by asterisks might just be non-understandable by some of our younger, older or slower members. Unless it's actually a vulgar, profane or sexually explicit word I'd just as soon see it spelled out as it was created instead of promoting a guessing game as to what it actually is replacing.

Now back to the original thread. I think "Skirts and Kilts for men" is fine and does promote fashion freedom more obviously than "Men in Skirts and/or Kilts" does. I personally don't think the latter header inferred that men in the latter category were weird, but that they were the same as men with long hair were back in the early 60's. They were/are men "pushing the boundaries" of what, at that/this time, was/is the norm, ie: flattops and very short hair for all Western Nations men. Our friends in the UK started that vogue and today, long hair on men is just as accepted in the World as trousers on women are. If anyone had predicted in 1962 that within 40 years women would wear more trousers than dresses or skirts and men would have the choice of having up to waist length or more hair and/or beards and NOT be either a bum or a religious fanatic, the predictors would have been laughed at. By 1965 there were, as there are today, men who have actually considered moving lock, stock and barrel to countries that one or the other of these choices were/was the norm already. Like men who wanted long hair thought of moving to India to become sikhs and have long hair under turbans and some men today who are afraid of going out in public in a skirted garment are giving thought to moving to some of the Pacific Rim Islands where sarongs and/or sulus are the norm or even Bhutan where wearing a skirted garment is the National required dress for Bhutanese men.

Anyway, I am completely at ease with "Skirts and Kilts for men" instead of "Men in Skirts and Kilts".

Bob, why don't you create a poll with these choices for the members to give their choices and see which is favored by more of the membership instead of just deciding on your own to do it. I think that ALL members that wish to vote would be better recieved than a Server Boss decision without membership input beyond the few that might reply in a post. More of a democratic decision as it were. As always, this is just my opinion.:think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Steven

Post by Steven »

it doesn't matter to much what order you put it in, it will still show up when googled, and I've usually found it doesn't change the order all that much.

Don't forget to change and expand on the meta tags, those can help also, my only other thought is that "Skirts and Kilts for Men" implies sales.

Steven
People should fear the people that fear me - "The Fifth Edge"
crfriend
Master Barista

"In" or "For" -- or, "are we in for it?"

Post by crfriend »

Bob wrote:Some of you may have noticed, our tag-line recently changed from "Men in Skirts and Kilts" to "Skirts and Kilts for Men".
I like the change as it puts things a bit more forcefully into the active voice rather than the more passive "Men in skirts and kilts"; I always thought the latter to be weak. Steven points up that "for men" may imply a sales motive, but the "mission statement" dispels that within the first sentence.
Bob wrote: [...]men who are SO W***D they would wear skirts[...]
Oi! Who are you calling W***D?! :)
Bob wrote:OTOH, people often search for "Men in Skirts" when they really want to find our site. However, neither Google search yields us on the first page. This is unfortunate.
As Steven said, work on the meta tags a bit. I'm given to understand that Google does quite a bit with them, That said, Skirtcafe.org may never break the "top 10" in ranking -- although it really should be "up there".

I suspect some work should be expended in getting the ranking into that range -- certainly into the top 20 -- as it'll increase the exposure. (Sorry about the pun....)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Richard II

Post by Richard II »

crfriend wrote:I like the change as it puts things a bit more forcefully into the active voice rather than the more passive "Men in skirts and kilts"; I always thought the latter to be weak. Steven points up that "for men" may imply a sales motive, but the "mission statement" dispels that within the first sentence.
So it does, but first impressions are crucial to any newcomer who finds our site. I too think that "Skirts and Kilts for men" suggests a retail site; after all, it is exactly how a retail business's site would indicate the nature of the business.

I like "Men who wear skirts and kilts", though I admit that it's not so punchy because it's a word longer.
crfriend
Master Barista

What's in a name? Or a tagline, for that matter....

Post by crfriend »

Richard II wrote:I like "Men who wear skirts and kilts", though I admit that it's not so punchy because it's a word longer.
"Men wearing skirts and kilts"? "Skirts and kilts as menswear"? "Fashion forward: skirts as menswear"? "Decision 2006: Skirts for men! You have nothing to lose but your crotch."? (OK, that one's a non-starter, but it is an election year in the US.)

Sooner or later, and I suspect sooner, we'll reach a point of diminishing returns for racking our brains on a snappy tagline. Maybe putting it into Latin... :think: (We need a smiley that's an animated slap to the "thinking" smiley.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

W***d.

Post by Since1982 »

Some P****e will call a** *a*e in a s***t w***d. Some *e* *n **i*** *r* w***d *oo*in*, *o*e aren'*. :whiteflag
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/