A place for advocacy

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

A place for advocacy

Post by Bob »

The forum "In the News / Advocacy" was just added. Part of Skirt Cafe's mission is one of advocacy --- to help broaden perspectives in the borader world, and to help others understand fashion freedom.

Time and time again, we have opportunities to respond in a positive way to individual fashion freedom cases, usually at school or in the workplace. Unfortunately, our response is too often disorganized and half-hearted.

It is my sincere hope that we, as a community, will grow more organized in this regard. I would love to see a core number of "newswatcher" members who regularly check the news for fashion freedom stories and post them on the "In the News" forum. I would also love to see a few few core members take the initiative in devising letter writing campaigns where appropriate. My experience in the past is that we can have a positive impact if we articulate our philosophy well while remaining firm and polite.

Maybe we could start off with a stock letter sent to authorities in cases where "boy wears skirt to school, gets sent home" and such. Then we tailor the letter to the situation at hand. Then we each customize it in our own words and send it. Preferably by SnailMail, it is more effective for advocacy.

Volunteers...?
Renesm

I'll volunteer

Post by Renesm »

As a journalist (trade mag - not general!!!) I'm always searching the news wires for stories. So I'll post what I find along with handy hints for the PR campaign.

Ren
boca

Post by boca »

I sometimes search for these kinds of news articles. An excellent place to search is Google News: http://news.google.com

Just type in specific keywords and voila! I usually type things like "men in skirts", "his skirt", "his kilt", etc.