Welcome to SkirtCafe --- change from Tom's

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Welcome to SkirtCafe --- change from Tom's

Post by Bob »

To all those who found your way here... thank you for your perseverance. Moves can be difficult, but this one is now mostly behind us. Things still look a little bare around here, and the potted palm hasn't quite made it off the truck yet. But in time, I we can spruce up this Cafe, light a cozy fire in the corner, and invite new guests. Skirts for men have come a LONG way since the original Cafe many years ago, and I believe this progress will continue.

Noodles took over management of the Cafe back at the time of Tom's death. He has recently chosen to retire from position as Server Boss, and has put in considerable effort in order to ensure the continuation and smooth operation of the Cafe. I (and others) DO hope he will stick his head in, have a cup of coffee, and say "hi" from time to time.

Meanwhile, Noodles has made Tom's Cafe into a memorial to Tom and his significant contributions to this community. The name "Tom's Cafe" has retired as part of this memorial; feel free to browse http://tomscafe.org and relive the "good old days" of the Cafe.

I have ended up as Server Boss and general manager for the Cafe in its new location, now called "SkirtCafe", by popular demand. We don't yet have a good storefront or neon sign; we had to leave our beloved coffee cup sign back at the old Cafe. Maybe a new sign could be one of our first decorating projects, if someone is handy with glass and a blowtorch.

There may be other changes, as the SkirtCafe community continues to evolve. For now, we need to get the potted palm set up again and have some good conversation. But in time, we can make the Cafe whatever we would like --- please do not hold back if you have suggestions or energy to volunteer.

Finally... to Noodles, for your hard work and dedication... a big THANKS from all of us! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors. :cheer:
Last edited by Bob on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

great, but so tom's cafe is no more? the name, I mean?
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

iain wrote:great, but so tom's cafe is no more? the name, I mean?
The name Tom's Cafe will persist, but will contain the history of the forum as Tom Manuel's legacy. New conversation will happen here, or where-ever here moves to. At least I think I've got that right.

I hope Tom is looking down at us with pride, and a good sense of humour.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Cookie

Post by Since1982 »

Now I know why I had to re-sign on, I thought something had boosted my Tom's cookie, obviously my Tom's desktop link now re-directs me to SkirtCafe. Cool...I'll have to be sure in the future when I delete cookies to leave the new one as well as the old Tom's one. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

didit

Post by Since1982 »

dun didit. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Wow!

Post by binx »

Great job on a fairly seamless (pun intended) transition.

binx
crfriend
Master Barista

Bravo!!!

Post by crfriend »

Noodles wrote:I am afraid you will have to re-sign on ONE more time. This will be the last, as the domain is now skirtcafe.org. This forum is now running on Bob's server :thumbsup:
BRAVO, Noodles and Bob, on an absolutely stellar job. Well done!!!!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Schweet... Thanks guys...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
The Satirist

Post by The Satirist »

Bob,

Thanks for taking on this huge task. I was willing and trying to find a way to help keep things alive. This is now a huge load off of my shoulders, and I'm sure helps put everyones mind at ease. I'll be keeping my eyes open on any new rules or other changes, as I'm still unsure as to where I'll be able to make post of subjects pertaining to things other than Skirts/Kilts.

Good luck, and once again... THANKS.
Freedom since July 3, 2004.

Genius can be recreated - Stupidity is irreplaceable. -The Satirist 2004-
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Kilted_John wrote:Schweet... Thanks guys...

-J
Seconded :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Ingemar

Thanks from Sweden too.

Post by Ingemar »

Hi Bob!

If you should need some help in the future I would be glad helping.

Hi Noodles!

Thanks for your job during the last years, please don´t get too old too fast as some "retired" people do.

Greetings

Ingemar
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

A big thank you to the proprieters of the Cafe, old and new. I just hope the coffee stays as good and the banter as good natured, which I'm sure it will.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Noodles wrote:So this will be the ongoing home of this forum, if you the patrons want to use it. The choice is yours.
If? No question here and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Noodles, thank you for the decision to keep the Tom's Cafe atmosphere and participant list intact. I peeked at the recent "what should we do" discussions and left to think only to return and find the best possible outcome already implemented. Thank you so much. If IMFF had merged with/swallowed Tom's I would have lost the feel of both places I like to play.

Quiet Mouse
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

The only thing I think this place needs is tea and scones. Maybe dainty little tea sandwiches too.

Nestling in quite comfortably here,

Quiet Mouse
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

The end of an era

Post by Bravehearts.us »

Great job on everything you've done Noodles. But as for the name?...I have to vote a thumbs down. It's going to attract a lot of cross-dressing and those in that vein and chase away those of us who are strictly male garment oriented. Tom's Cafe' was always about MUGs and I think that's going to change right along with the name.
Lar