Here we go again...

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Here we go again...

Post by crfriend »

To see if javascript is disabled in Firefox, open up a new tab and type "about:config" (no quotes), hit return, and accept the risk. In the search bar, type in "javascript" (again, no quotes) and look for "javascript.enabled". The default is "true": if yours reads "false" it's been deliberately set that way and you need to make the decision whether to reset it to the default or not -- and I can't help with that.

If it reads "true", then I have precisely no idea what's going on. It works here in Firefox and in Chrome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm If it reads "true", then I have precisely no idea what's going on.
True - on both counts apparently.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pmTrue - on both counts apparently.
I'm pretty good, but I'm not prescient. I cannot know everything about everyone's local configurations. If I was all-knowing then I'd be really dangerous instead of merely a 'Net crank. :)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

FF 48 is quite old. Current version is somewhere over 70. I'm using the Extended Service Release channel version of Firefox, which is currently 68.8.0esr. Clock works fine on most of the pages. In some respects, though, I do wish there were a way to turn it off, if desired, and to revert back to receiving only one email about a new post in a thread I'm following since the last time I visited.

*edit* Looks like it has been turned off.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kilted_John wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm*edit* Looks like it has been turned off.
Yeah, I filed it under the "No good deed goes unpunished" dictum and disabled it.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

The clock has gone! Kidnapped?

John
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

john62 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:30 am The clock has gone! Kidnapped?

John
YES it is gone - for good ?
My closing comment - "Time is Fleeting" - make the most of it - moving on !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I had it and now it's gone. I have made no adjustments and I use chrome. I tried Internot Exploder and it's not there in that either.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pmI had it and now it's gone.
See post 35 in the thread. I got tired of taking stick for it so I disabled it.

I cannot possibly fix everybody's browser everywhere.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 pm
pelmut wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pmTrue - on both counts apparently.
I'm pretty good, but I'm not prescient. I cannot know everything about everyone's local configurations. If I was all-knowing then I'd be really dangerous instead of merely a 'Net crank. :)
Don't beat yourself up about it, nobody expects you to sort out everyone else's problems.  I have already solved it to my own satisfaction by wearing a wristwatch.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 pmDon't beat yourself up about it, nobody expects you to sort out everyone else's problems.
I'm not going to, but one of the problems that one encounters in my field is that folks tend to get upset when you can't fix something because there is insufficient evidence to allow one to make an accurate diagnosis,
I have already solved it to my own satisfaction by wearing a wristwatch.
As do I most of the time. Analogue or digital? The selection says a lot about one's character.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm
pelmut wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 pmI have already solved it to my own satisfaction by wearing a wristwatch.
As do I most of the time. Analogue or digital? The selection says a lot about one's character.
I have always worn a wrist watch. It has also been analogue for the most part. The one digital I had you had to press a button to see the time so it did not last long and I went back to analogue.
My current watch is high tech analogue that uses the national time signal and charges by photo voltaic action. :bom:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm
pelmut wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 pm...
I have already solved it to my own satisfaction by wearing a wristwatch.
Analogue display but stepper motor drive from crystal controlled master frequency.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm ...one of the problems that one encounters in my field is that folks tend to get upset when you can't fix something because there is insufficient evidence to allow one to make an accurate diagnosis,
...and, when questioned for that evidence, they answer at great length with every piece of information you already know, several times over, in different ways, but entirely omit to tell you the vital piece of information you actually asked for.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:23 pm...and, when questioned for that evidence, they answer at great length with every piece of information you already know, several times over, in different ways, but entirely omit to tell you the vital piece of information you actually asked for.
I see somebody else has spent time in the trenches...

On timepieces: Analogue display, balance-wheel and gear-train control.