Here we go again...

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Here we go again...

Post by r.m.anderson »

With intervention from Carl - Yes that is a nice added feature - the clock I see is correct to my time zone !
Consolation in this digital era would have liked the clock in digital 24 hour format time.

And we are not splitting skirts seams here at SC so the "Atomic Clock" is not of essence -
But if you are referring to splitting pants seams here - bring it on !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

No, keep the analogue version. I see too many digital displays and the old round dial is more …. well comforting is the best word that I can use here. It is a nice touch though and is displayed in BST here.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The clock is, indeed, a new addition. It was a cute little thing I found when I was working on the fix for PM management and figured I'd add it to the real Cafe as well.

The display is sensitive to the internal clock in your computer, so if your computer has good time synchronisation then the clock will be very accurate indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 pm...... It was a cute little thing I found when I was working on the fix for PM management and figured I'd add it to the real Cafe as well. ......
In the good old days in the Netherlands a café (aka bar) would not have a clock. So the customers would not feel pressured to leave the establishment until the wife or one of the kids would show up, sometimes with an instrument of convincing attributes (think rolling pin).
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pmIn the good old days in the Netherlands a café (aka bar) would not have a clock. So the customers would not feel pressured to leave the establishment until the wife or one of the kids would show up, sometimes with an instrument of convincing attributes (think rolling pin).
I'm contemplating adding a "railway station time option" to it to mimic the old-school habit of railway-station bars setting their clocks ahead by five minutes so patrons wouldn't cut things too closely when trying to catch a train. A simple 300-second addition would do the trick...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:10 pm...... I'm contemplating adding a "railway station time option" to it to mimic the old-school habit of railway-station bars setting their clocks ahead by five minutes so patrons wouldn't cut things too closely when trying to catch a train. A simple 300-second addition would do the trick...
I did exactly the same thing when I had a relationship with an Italian. She was always late and then we had to do some serious speeding to be on time. I put some clocks 10 minutes ahead. Later she discovered the trick and then we had real trouble. When the clocks were back to normal, she still was thinking to have 10 minutes to spare.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi Carl,
Just where is the"Clock"???? Do I have to do some thing to see it????
All I get is this... It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 2:26 pm.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pmI did exactly the same thing when I had a relationship with an Italian. She was always late and then we had to do some serious speeding to be on time.
There is no such thing as "fashionably late". Late is late. Period. Trains don't wait [0]. Hence the five-minute fudge. Show up late for a job interview and see what that gets you...

[0] Except that sometimes, on very rare occasions, they do. On the round-the-USA trip my late ex- and I took in the 1990s we had a bit of a "tight connection" at Los Angeles [1], and the southbound Coast Starlight was running slightly late. "Late trains get later" is the conventional mantra, but amazingly AMTRAK held the Sunset Limited for us and Diana and I were very quickly hustled across several sets of tracks to get to our waiting train. That was an amazing trip, and holds many treasured memories. Two discrete deserts where the boundary was visible in the vegetation; rain in the desert and the bloom that follows; getting mugged in New Orleans because I'd let my guard down due to the wonderful experience in Portland, Oregon; and all the delightful little details that one can only witness when flying at four feet altitude.
[1] The standing joke at the time being, "We won't even be there long enough to receive a police beating." as it was just after the Rodney King affair.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 pm Hi Carl,

Fred
Same here.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

pleated wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:15 am
Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 pm Hi Carl,

Fred
Same here.
Upper right hand corner of the page - look just below your name where you would click to change your profile etc.
It is not B-I-G just about the size of 4 emoji !
From another view point from the left side of the screen
BOARD INDEX - L-O-O-K all the way right >>>>> there it is !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

All I have in the upper right side below my name is the magnifying glass for the advanced search.

I see no clock any where on the screen.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The clock does not appear unless you are logged in.

If you are adjacent to the magnification symbol - you are too high up

Look for the NOTIFICATIONS - PRIVATE MESSAGES - and YOUR USER NAME
It will be just below that !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Of note is that the little animated analogue clock is not visible if one has JavaScript disabled or on some very old browsers.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:54 am Of note is that the little animated analogue clock is not visible if one has JavaScript disabled or on some very old browsers.
I use Fire fox on both my computer and the laptop.
The laptop is current and up to date with all of the latest fixes. I do not know how to change them for JavaScript. :? :? :?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

No sign of it here.   [Firefox 48.0.2]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.